June 21, 2024, 06:55:46 AM

Author Topic: Scott Weiland on Sessions X  (Read 13161 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Weiland on Sessions X
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 07:14:51 PM »
I'd almost forgotten how great that session was. From that hallowed 2009 era when Scott's voice was in the best shape it's been post-Libertad. Still can't believe STP didn't play Atlanta that year after these performances.

Yeah I saw them live with doug a few times and saw a bunch of videos live and what not, but I guess maybe doug was lower in the mix??  I can over look him not playing with the most emotion, hes more of a technical player.

I wouldn't call Doug a technical player. He's actually pretty sloppy, and his improvised riffs are fairly simple ones you could learn in your average "100 blues licks" guitar book. As a guitarist, he didn't offer too much to the band live. But I will say a lot of his riffs on 'Happy' were quite good.

His presence as a keyboardist, however, is definitely missing from the live shows... And some of the songs, especially Velvet Revolver songs, feel a little anemic with just Jeremy playing guitar. I think if the Wildabout could get a keyboardist who also plays rhythm guitar, they'd be in great shape. Then they could play more material off Happy; some of the STP stuff like Maver, Hello it's Late, and Adhesive that has keys; and full fledged VR songs with two guitars.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 09:28:47 PM »
As a guitarist, I would criticize Doug the same way I criticize Slash. A great guitarist once told me--and it seems obvious now--that what you don't play is as important as what you do play. Just like a singer doesn't vomit all over a song without taking a breath, neither should a guitar player.

Now, I like Slash as a player in many ways, but one thing I don't like about many of his solos is that he tends to just vomit all over it without giving room for it to breathe. Dirty Little Thing is a great example of what I am talking about.

Obviously Doug isn't the same category of player as Slash, but he is a very busy player. The other thing that annoyed me was he tended to play in a very metered way. For example, in the above clip of Paralysis, lots of what he is playing is just straight eighth notes. He did a lot of that in Scott's songs, straight quarter or eighth note melodies on guitar.

littlelamb222

• my love is cool
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 10:05:50 PM »
Doug made Interstate Love Song sound like something you would hear in a commercial or something you would hear at a restaurant lol. I watched one thing with him one time, don't remember the song, but I remember it sounded so bad. That was the last time I ever looked at something with Doug in it, it's just not my type of music.

Anyway my sister is gonna have a field day with this because she loves doing impressions of Scott's singing voice haha. I love you Jeanine! :)  (even though she's not on this forum)
"Where did Mary go... fluffy pillows... she swam away..." Ah shit!

moreSTPplz

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 12:55:44 AM »

I wouldn't call Doug a technical player. He's actually pretty sloppy, and his improvised riffs are fairly simple ones you could learn in your average "100 blues licks" guitar book. As a guitarist, he didn't offer too much to the band live. But I will say a lot of his riffs on 'Happy' were quite good.

Just cause he's sloppy at it doesn't mean hes not technical. He tries to be technical, but can't really pull it off. But he plays more technically,rather than feeling it with emotion. More so than 99% of guitar players I've heard. It makes me cringe with him trying to pull things out of a song that should not be there. I'm amazed he lasted as long as he did. Didn't help that his guitar did not blend in with the rest of the instruments at this acoustic gig. Maybe it was more than him just pure sucking?

moreSTPplz

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 01:00:30 AM »
Doug made Interstate Love Song sound like something you would hear in a commercial or something you would hear at a restaurant lol. I watched one thing with him one time, don't remember the song, but I remember it sounded so bad. That was the last time I ever looked at something with Doug in it, it's just not my type of music.

Anyway my sister is gonna have a field day with this because she loves doing impressions of Scott's singing voice haha. I love you Jeanine! :)  (even though she's not on this forum)

Did you not listen to "Happy In Galoshes" cause it had Doug on it? If not you sir are missing out!

P.S. Tell your sister I love her too! Giggity. You got a pic of her?  ;D

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 01:17:51 AM »
I wonder what HIG would have sounded like without Doug in the picture. I got the impression that Scott's solo stuff was more of a Doug and Scott collaboration than a pure Scott solo album.

littlelamb222

• my love is cool
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 02:22:52 AM »

Did you not listen to "Happy In Galoshes" cause it had Doug on it? If not you sir are missing out!

P.S. Tell your sister I love her too! Giggity. You got a pic of her?  ;D

I did listen to Happy in Galoshes and I like it not one of my faves though. P.S. I'm a lady! :)

And im not sure if you actually wanted to see her, but here's two pics of me and my sister      

http://instagram.com/p/r8Qu-WDkbt/ (here's me and my sister at our bday dinner)

http://instagram.com/p/rh3OUujkeC/ (here's me and my sister when we met Ceelo lol)

And yeah we're twins so we look a like, but I don't see it haha. Also her name her name is close to Jannina (her name is Jeanine) so I call her Jannina. And because my name is Mari (said like Mary) she calls me Mary Mary haha.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 09:07:17 PM »

Just cause he's sloppy at it doesn't mean hes not technical. He tries to be technical, but can't really pull it off. But he plays more technically,rather than feeling it with emotion. More so than 99% of guitar players I've heard. It makes me cringe with him trying to pull things out of a song that should not be there. I'm amazed he lasted as long as he did. Didn't help that his guitar did not blend in with the rest of the instruments at this acoustic gig. Maybe it was more than him just pure sucking?

Well, the whole point of being a technical player is to play with great technique... And being sloppy is sort of the opposite of that, so I wouldn't call him a technical player.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

moreSTPplz

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 12:43:26 AM »

Well, the whole point of being a technical player is to play with great technique... And being sloppy is sort of the opposite of that, so I wouldn't call him a technical player.

Apples and oranges. To me, you either play with emotion or you play more technical. There really is only two options I've ever found. STP do blend this I guess with their musical knowledge, but they clearly always put emotion first. One usually comes way ahead of the other and clearly Doug doesn't play with much emotion. And he is technical, just very sloppy. I mean he knows the technique, he just doesn't pull it off that great...

moreSTPplz

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 12:46:24 AM »

I did listen to Happy in Galoshes and I like it not one of my faves though. P.S. I'm a lady! :)

And im not sure if you actually wanted to see her, but here's two pics of me and my sister      

http://instagram.com/p/rh3OUujkeC/ (here's me and my sister when we met Ceelo lol)

And yeah we're twins so we look a like, but I don't see it haha. Also her name her name is close to Jannina (her name is Jeanine) so I call her Jannina. And because my name is Mari (said like Mary) she calls me Mary Mary haha.

HA! Yeah I was just joking, but congrats on meeting CeeLo! Did he try to spike your drink with anything?  :o
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:48:43 AM by moreSTPplz »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
I wouldn't waste time musing on what sort of a guitar player Doug is, being technical or emotional is a meaningless distinction when you don't have much of either. A great guitarist should have an array of skills, take Brian May for instance, revolutionary technique combined with some of the most emotional work in rock.

Fact is, Doug just isn't very good. He should stick to producing and playing keyboards. Happy had some pretty interesting sounds on it, just not many of them made by a guitar.

littlelamb222

• my love is cool
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »

HA! Yeah I was just joking, but congrats on meeting CeeLo! Did he try to spike your drink with anything?  :o

I met CeeLo on my actual bday which I was in LA for that. My bday dinner was 2 weeks after I came back, so no he didn't spike my drink? I mean I'm only 18, so I don't even drink in the first place haha. Also funny story we were shopping on Melrose and he walked into one of the stores we were in and at first we didn't know it was him, we missed him the first time. 20 mins later we went to another store and he was outside waiting for someone, so of course I had to get a pic!

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 09:09:21 PM »
Anyone know if this is happening?

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 03:50:52 PM »
Received an email today that announced the Weiland session/set will be released in June.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 03:56:12 PM »
Received an email today that announced the Weiland session/set will be released in June.

Thanks for the info! We'll just have to keep on waiting then...
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"