September 27, 2024, 02:06:36 PM

Author Topic: Albums That Have Stuck With You Through The Years...  (Read 7864 times)

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
Albums That Have Stuck With You Through The Years...
« on: May 12, 2014, 02:47:35 PM »
Aside from your absolute top favorite bands, which albums seem to have stuck with you over the course of many years as far back as you can recall?

Maybe back in the day you remember always having the casset tape or CD laying in your car, and today it's still there where you listen to it regularly.

For me it would be Tantric Self Titled. I remember my buddy had their CD in his CD case at school about 13 years ago, told me I might like it if I heard them. From that day on I borrowed that CD in the same class we had until I went and got a copy for myself. No matter the year, it has always been a mainstay on my playlist.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:49:43 PM by seattlesound »

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Albums That Have Stuck With You Through The Years...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 03:01:42 PM »
Aside from your absolute top favorite bands, which albums seem to have stuck with you over the course of many years as far back as you can recall?

Maybe back in the day you remember always having the casset tape or CD laying in your car, and today it's still there where you listen to it regularly.

For me it would be Tantric Self Titled. I remember my buddy had their CD in his CD case at school about 13 years ago, told me I might like it if I heard them. From that day on I borrowed that CD in the same class we had until I went and got a copy for myself. No matter the year, it has always been a mainstay on my playlist.

After I read this post, I Googled Tantric to see what they are up to these days, since I hadn't thought of them in a while. I clicked on Wikipedia, which says that the original Days Of The New lineup are back together, and planning a summer tour. This is something I was sure would never happen. Awesome.

A disc that I have liked for years and years, and is still in my car for regular use is The Cult: Pure Cult For Rockers, Ravers, Lovers & Sinners
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:12:00 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 03:19:09 PM »
A disc that I have liked for years and years, and is still in my car for regular use is The Cult: Pure Cult For Rockers, Ravers, Lovers & Sinners

I've a got a 4 x 12" LP set of that, two of the records are the Pure Cult album, the other two are The Cult: Live at the Marquee. Fuck, it's a really good album, I find their studio LPs a bit patchy, but their hits compilation is packed full of great tunes.

For me, Kula Shaker: K, and Radiohead: The Bends are two albums that have hardly ever left the pile next to my stereo in 20 years!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:20:40 PM by Pingfah »

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 03:25:16 PM »

I've a got a 4 x 12" LP set of that, two of the records are the Pure Cult album, the other two are The Cult: Live at the Marquee. Fuck, it's a really good album, I find their studio LPs a bit patchy, but their hits compilation is packed full of great tunes.

Yeah, I've bought a couple studio albums, but I always end up back with Pure Cult. Front to back, it's just great. I have not heard the Live at the Marquee recordings, yet. I'll need to check that out.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »
Mine has to be In Utero, Nevermind, Dirt, and One-X. Daily listens to each of those for a looonnggg time.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:42:04 PM »

Good call. I'm old enough to remember The Cult when they were Southern Death Cult and had a track called "Fatman" that was rather good as I recall.

Great thread! I've sold off most of my collection so I'm now down to only 200 CDs or so but I still have a few that, although not amongst my very favourites, are very much "driving albums" that I love to have on hand. Amongst the best of these are:

White Lion - Mane Attraction

"Lights and Thunder" remains a stone cold classic for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_attEeXUpSY

Stephen Stills - MANASSAS

Crosby, Stills & Nash have dated badly but this is still a great record imo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clYD_5FQVaw

Pinnick Gales Pridgen - Pinnick Gales Pridgen

Just a great jammin' record, this video sums it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH5MySPrhK4
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:45:16 PM by Stop That Pigeon »

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 12:37:55 AM »

After I read this post, I Googled Tantric to see what they are up to these days, since I hadn't thought of them in a while. I clicked on Wikipedia, which says that the original Days Of The New lineup are back together, and planning a summer tour. This is something I was sure would never happen. Awesome.

Days of the New are actually going to be at Home Bar where Weiland just played. Crazy.

As for the original thread? I'd say Core, Purple and No. 4 (obviously I suppose). Sixteen Stone. Yield. Van Halen's 5150.  I spin Eve 6's fourth album (It's All In Your Head) a lot too - I don't identify with the messages a lot in that one, but the hooks are killer and endlessly catchy. Rottting Pinata and New Pop Sunday by Sponge as well. Eventually their new one, Stop the Bleeding, would be on this list once that album is old enough.

As for other newer stuff that may ultimately wind up on this list for me? Probably A Star-Crossed Wasteland and I'm also, surprisingly, hooked on both albums by The Naked and Famous (Passive Me, Agressive You & In Rolling Waves). Enough that I could see myself coming back to them for sometime.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:43:35 AM by IMJ »
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 01:17:48 AM »
Non-STP related, off the top of my head:
Everclear - So Much For The Afterglow, Songs From An American Movie Vol 1
Garden State Soundtrack
Nirvana - Nevermind, Unplugged in New York
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Weezer - Blue, Pinkerton
Bloodhound Gang - One Fierce Beer Coaster, Hooray For Boobies
Letters To Cleo - Aurora Gory Alice, Wholesale Meats And Fish, Go

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 01:50:31 AM »
Hot Fuss by The Killers, just a really slick, super hard hitting album that captures a lot of feelings I've had in my life.
Def Leppards Greatest Hits by Def Leppard, first album I ever bought.
Rumours by Fleetwood Mac, again, I relate it a lot of my life and it's just a truly wonderful piece of music. It's art.
1984 by Van Halen, my early to mid teens were dominated by this album. I'll always remember the first time I heard "I'll Wait", amazing song.
Hybrid Theory and Meteora by Linkin Park, both quintessential to my childhood and teens.
Core by STP, for reasons I am still uncertain of. Its an amazing album, but why I'm not sure.

More recent ones would have to be Outrun by Kavinsky, Save Rock & Roll by Fallout Boy, In A Tidal Wave Of Mystery by Capital Cities, self titled by The Colourist, and I expect Pop Psychology by Neon Trees to be the same way, just too early to tell. Simply because they've defined my life at certain points, they've been my life soundtrack.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:53:02 AM by Down-Plush »

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 02:49:21 AM »
Fuel - Sunburn
Stabbing Westward - Darkest Days
Talk Show - Talk Show
Nicklebag - Mas Feedback (no, not Nickleback. motherfucking NickleBAG -- Stevie Salas and Bernard Fowler)
Second Coming - Second Coming
Our Lady Peace - Clumsy

Unglued

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 05:33:47 PM »
Fuel - Sunburn
Stabbing Westward - Darkest Days
Talk Show - Talk Show
Nicklebag - Mas Feedback (no, not Nickleback. motherfucking NickleBAG -- Stevie Salas and Bernard Fowler)
Second Coming - Second Coming
Our Lady Peace - Clumsy

Second Coming - GREAT record.  I still jam that thing.  Good pick.

XxCollinsxX

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 12:40:55 AM »
STP-Shangri-la dee da
RCHP-Californication
Alice in Chains - unplugged
Guns n Roses Use you illusion I&II
All these albums at certain points in my life have spoke to me,and have been my life soundtrack

and last and its pretty embarrassing but for some reason or another (i don't dig this kind of music )
but B52s-cosmic thing. my mom use to play it when i was 5 or 6 and it just still sounds good to me.
i dig Topaz,Roam,and Follow your bliss.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 02:30:22 AM »
STP-Shangri-la dee da
RCHP-Californication
Alice in Chains - unplugged
Guns n Roses Use you illusion I&II
All these albums at certain points in my life have spoke to me,and have been my life soundtrack

and last and its pretty embarrassing but for some reason or another (i don't dig this kind of music )
but B52s-cosmic thing. my mom use to play it when i was 5 or 6 and it just still sounds good to me.
i dig Topaz,Roam,and Follow your bliss.
No shame in that, love the B-52's personally. They were New Wave/Pop Rock icons and masters of their craft, in my opinion. That's a solid album in general too.

Piece of Vaseline Pie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 03:43:15 AM »
The Beatles-Abby Road
STP- Tiny Music
John Lennon- Plastic Ono Band

Just a few that stand out for me.

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 04:25:31 AM »
By far Weezer's Blue Album. I've been listening to it since I was 9 or 10.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14