September 25, 2024, 02:11:32 PM

Author Topic: Stp Not Allowed In Kansas Libraries  (Read 9066 times)

Anonymous

Stp Not Allowed In Kansas Libraries
« on: August 09, 2004, 03:42:34 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/08/0...t.ap/index.html

---

'OutKast' not allowed in Kansas libraries

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (AP)  -- The Kansas attorney general has withheld more than 1,600 compact discs from distribution to state libraries because officials determined the albums promote violence or illegal activity, records show.

The albums removed by Attorney General Phill Kline's office were part of 51,000 discs given to Kansas as part of a nationwide settlement to resolve allegations of price fixing.

The confiscated CDs included recordings by 25 musicians, including rap artists such as OutKast and Notorious B.I.G., rock bands Rage Against the Machine and Stone Temple Pilots, and even older acts such as Lou Reed and the 1980s experimental group Devo.

The list of albums was obtained by The Associated Press last week through an open-records request.

The American Civil Liberties Union said the decision amounted to censorship.

"What he's doing is enforcing his concept of decency on libraries around the state of Kansas, and that's not his business," said Dick Kurtenbach, executive director of the ACLU in Kansas and western Missouri.

Whitney Watson, a spokesman for Kline, said the attorney general would not discuss the screening of the CDs but said the decision to remove some albums was made to ensure state officials were not disseminating objectionable material.

Watson said the office's consumer-protection and antitrust division vetted the list. In some cases, they were familiar enough with the albums to determine if they had questionable content. In others, they looked at Internet databases of lyrics.

"We don't have the manpower to look at every album and every song lyric, but we feel we removed most of the albums that did not mesh with the values of a majority of Kansans," she said.

Kansas is one of 40 states receiving the free CDs for public libraries as part of a 2002 court settlement with the music industry over claims of CD price-fixing.

Attorneys general in several other states also have screened their CDs, often removing controversial artists or albums including explicit lyrics. Indiana Attorney General Steve Carter removed 5,300 discs, or 5 percent of the 107,000 his state was scheduled to receive.

The Kansas Library Association, which advocates for public libraries, said it had no objection to the attorney general's actions.

"This was very similar to what libraries do all the time," said Rosanne Siemens, the group's executive director. "It wasn't so much an issue of taking things out but determining what would be best. They did libraries a big favor by selecting these CDs because there's no way libraries could have said what they wanted."

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 04:34:51 PM »
The Kansas attorney general has withheld more than 1,600 compact discs from distribution to state libraries because officials determined the albums promote violence or illegal activity, records show.
Violence and illegal activities?
Apparently these people have never read a book.

Damn, people are stupid.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 04:59:07 PM »
I wonder what violence or illegal activity they are referring to - I can't think of one instance where either of these two things have been glorified in STP's music.  If it's because of the drug references, maybe Mr. Kline needs a second listen.  Weiland has never encouraged anyone to participate in his habits.

And you're right, Josh.  As long as he's removing offensive music, maybe he should remove some offensive reading material.  Any nonfiction book on drugs, crime, rape, etc. should be taken out immediately - along with Alice in Wonderland and To Kill a Mockingbird, to name a few.

Blah.  It's Kansas.  Who cares?
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 05:03:04 PM »
I wonder what violence or illegal activity they are referring to - I can't think of one instance where either of these two things have been glorified in STP's music.  If it's because of the drug references, maybe Mr. Kline needs a second listen.  Weiland has never encouraged anyone to participate in his habits.
"Sex and Violence" was the only thing that came to mind. And besides the title...there isn't much there.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 05:03:36 PM by Rocketboy »

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 06:46:02 PM »
Those old fuckers have nothing else better to do. Have to point the finger at everything else but themselves..
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 12:57:54 AM »
Who cares.  It's a library.  There's a big thing on slashdot on this too.

The only reason the library has those cd is because of the RIAA are making the payment of their settlement with a bunch of cds that they can't sell.

Not every book that gets dontated to a library makes it onto the shelves.  The RIAA is giving an assload of cds to libraries.  You all can't possibly expect every cd to make it to the shelves.

This is an "Al Sharpton outrage."
Oh yeah, that looks much sexier on you.

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 04:37:27 AM »
fuck the library!

pumpkinrocker28

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 01:38:17 PM »
"big bang baby" also. and again, its just the title. oh and "silvergun superman". again, just the title. i remember hearing that "big bang baby" was one of the songs banned from the radio after 9/11 due to violent references. isnt that a shame?
and in the eyes of a jackal i say ka-BOOM.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 06:12:58 PM »
"big bang baby" also. and again, its just the title. oh and "silvergun superman". again, just the title. i remember hearing that "big bang baby" was one of the songs banned from the radio after 9/11 due to violent references. isnt that a shame?
I remember that as well.  Funny that the song has absolutely nothing to do with shooting someone or violence whatsoever.  

I guess a song about a rock star selling out was somehow helping to feed the minds of the terrorists?   :blink:
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 01:27:34 AM »
i remember that! this country is rediculous sometimes! fuckers...

bunbury_hmr

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 02:31:10 AM »
fuck the library!
My brother works in the Los Angeles Pubic Library. You want his adress to throw rocks on his Car an teach them a lesson?

To be honest i have been a Fan of S.T.P. for a long time an i barely know like one third of the songs meanings. The rest are really just "my own thoughts" of what they are about.

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 03:17:11 AM »
fuck the library!
My brother works in the Los Angeles Pubic Library. You want his adress to throw rocks on his Car an teach them a lesson?

To be honest i have been a Fan of S.T.P. for a long time an i barely know like one third of the songs meanings. The rest are really just "my own thoughts" of what they are about.
Personally I think they're all drug induced nonsence.  The lyrics have always been the weakest part of the band as far as I'm concerned.  They had their points though.

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 03:48:59 PM »
fuck the library!

Personally I think they're all drug induced nonsence.  The lyrics have always been the weakest part of the band as far as I'm concerned.  They had their points though.
some of the finest artistic work in existance is drug induced nonsense.

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 12:52:46 AM »
fuck the library!

Yeah but Weiland lyrics don't fall in that category.

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 01:23:38 AM »
fuck the library!

Yeah but Weiland lyrics don't fall in that category.
damn you!