September 21, 2024, 04:28:50 AM

Author Topic: Anyone else prefer the demo of WTRG over the Core version?  (Read 9743 times)

sonofthecastle

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Anyone else prefer the demo of WTRG over the Core version?
« on: February 28, 2012, 04:07:30 AM »
It just sounds like it has alot more energy and psychedelia about it compared to the final, slowed down recording thats present on Core.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else prefer the demo of WTRG over the Core version?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 04:11:03 AM »
I like both a lot, but yeah, I do actually like the demo more. I love the echo on Scott's deep vocals, especially on the demo of Wicked Garden.

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 04:15:50 AM »
Core version all the way
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:25:12 AM »
Core version definitely. Sure, it loses the energy, but the drone makes it kinda timeless in a way. It's hard to explain. It's like if Long Way Home or Kitchenware and Candybars were played faster, they'd have more energy, but they would no longer be the same songs.
I do prefer the the demo version of Wicked Garden though.
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:26:26 PM »
I can't believe this is even a discussion. The production of the MJY demo is horrendous. It sounds like it was recorded out of a tin can vacuum. The Core version is way more polished and nasty. I guess if you prefer stuff that sounds like shit...

Haha, just kidding. I do think the Core version is a no brainer. Although the difference is less pronounced than Wicked Garden. Holy shit WG on the MJY demo sounds AWFUL. The drum fills are SO bad. Thank God they fixed that before they came out w/ Core.

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:37:35 PM »
I prefer the Core version myself. Doesn't mean I hate the MJY recording, just Core version seems/sounds better. However, on a similar note, the MJY demo contains one of my STP favorites. The funky rock masterpiece named "Fast As I can". Love that tune, reminds me of RHCP. Wicked Garden though, Core wins in my book.

MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:10:08 PM »
I can't believe this is even a discussion. The production of the MJY demo is horrendous. It sounds like it was recorded out of a tin can vacuum. The Core version is way more polished and nasty. I guess if you prefer stuff that sounds like shit...

Haha, just kidding. I do think the Core version is a no brainer. Although the difference is less pronounced than Wicked Garden. Holy shit WG on the MJY demo sounds AWFUL. The drum fills are SO bad. Thank God they fixed that before they came out w/ Core.

You can't judge this kinda stuff just on the production of the demo. They probably didn't have the money to use a good studio, that doesn't mean you can't judge the music for the music, man.
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 04:51:52 AM »
Core versions all the way (including Naked Sunday) without a doubt
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 06:10:32 AM »
I can't even listen to the Core version of Where The River Goes. It's production totally screwed up the song.
MJY's version sounds a lot more powerful, even though it's just a rip from the audio cassette from the record with a cheap production.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 01:47:54 PM »
Agree completely with topicstarter and Tyrant!
MJY's version is almost a masterpiece. I can listen to it over and over and over again, it's brilliant.
Brilliant perfomance, for me it's more important than quality.

Alex

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 12:50:15 PM »
I will add myself, if you don't mind, basically the vocals on demo just seem better to me.
Although I consider MJY version better in general, namely the vocals are FAR BETTER on demo than on Core.
It feels like Scott tried to sing on Core version as low as he could, and the result isn't beautiful.

The higher vocal style on Mighty Joe Young version with rich back vocals just rule!
Awesome.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 12:58:31 PM by Alex »

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 05:51:58 PM »
Honestly I really like the production on core. Not just referring to this topic here, but I want to say I remember many comments over the years pointing out some negatives about core's production... Honestly I think the album flows and sounds amazing even after all this time of listening to it. It has such energy that kicks in from the first second.

The demos are amazing, but I look at it seperatly. I cannot think of them in the same context as core, I just get different vibes from both.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 01:26:53 AM »
The demo version is of course more raw and has a little more charm because of that -- you could imagine yourself hearing it being played by MJY in a club.

But the Core version really captured the "largeness" and slow power of the song. I prefer the Core version.

nat

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 05:25:29 PM »
Honestly I really like the production on core. Not just referring to this topic here, but I want to say I remember many comments over the years pointing out some negatives about core's production... Honestly I think the album flows and sounds amazing even after all this time of listening to it. It has such energy that kicks in from the first second.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Core's production from a technical standpoint, it's just not consistent with the rest of STP's catalog nor with the "sound" that STP would eventually develop for themselves.

Core's production reeks of the late '80s, early '90s when most major-label rock (hard rock?) records were produced with this overly bright, overly processed, reverb-heavy, larger-than-life sound. It just doesn't sound natural. If you like it, you like it but I don't think there's any denying it dates the album as a product of 1988-1992. (Other offenders from the same time period: Pearl Jam's "Ten," Nirvana's "Nevermind" (to a lesser degree), The Cult's "Sonic Temple," Blue Oyster Cult's "Imaginos," Van Halen's "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge," Faith No More's "The Real Thing," to name but a few.)