September 27, 2024, 06:50:36 PM

Author Topic: Silvergun superman ending  (Read 18311 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Silvergun Superman Song Meaning
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 04:05:44 AM »
I believe it was from high-school or at least in his teen years before starting a band. He has a tendancy to introduce it saying it's about a friend who screwed him "back home"
Grab the hate and drown it out...

purpleflowers

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 04:14:01 AM »
I'm surprised Scott even commented about it.  He has said in the past that he doesn't like to tell the meaning of his lyrics so they can mean different things to different people.  Using ambiguity when writing lyrics or poetry is a favorite technique of many artists.
7/8/09 Cincinnati, OH
10/11/09 Columbus, OH
3/30/10 Louisville, KY - THE VERY BEST
8/25/10 Cincinnati, OH
7/19/11 Eastlake, OH

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 04:22:35 AM »
Quote from: "purpleflowers"
I'm surprised Scott even commented about it.  He has said in the past that he doesn't like to tell the meaning of his lyrics so they can mean different things to different people.  Using ambiguity when writing lyrics or poetry is a favorite technique of many artists.

It depends on the song. He's commented on the meaning of just about every song from Purple, actually
Grab the hate and drown it out...

purpleflowers

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 04:36:33 AM »
Quote from: "Blue"
Quote from: "purpleflowers"

It depends on the song. He's commented on the meaning of just about every song from Purple, actually

Thanks for the info.  I just heard him comment about Gravedancer.  I presumed that was how he always felt.   ;)
7/8/09 Cincinnati, OH
10/11/09 Columbus, OH
3/30/10 Louisville, KY - THE VERY BEST
8/25/10 Cincinnati, OH
7/19/11 Eastlake, OH

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Wrote about Silvergun Superman for a college project
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 03:03:17 AM »
I'm in History of Rock & Roll in college right now (awesome right!) and our end of the semester project is to pick 5 songs we think are important to rock music by bands that we didn't talk about in class and one of the ones I picked was Silvergun Superman. Who knows, my teacher might mention them when we get to the 90s next week, but here's what I said:

This song is an excellent example of the grungy, alternative rock sound prevalent in the 1990s. Stone Temple Pilots, my personal favorite band of all-time, was one of the most important bands of this era, along with the likes of Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and more. In my opinion, this song is unique because it blends several different styles into a grunge song. The members of STP have indicated they are inspired from several different influences, from The Doors to funk to ragtime. This song in particular is driven by a heavy, Zeppelin-like riff accompanied by a distinctive, funky and melodic bass line. Lead singer Scott Weiland’s vocals seem to strongly draw from Jim Morrison’s deep, melodic baritone style. Weiland’s lyrics are far from generic, as he sings rather abstract lines such as “I can feel when the pig whispers sweetly” and “couldn’t hide, write a wave, ride a lie.” The song follows a rather simple, verse-chorus-verse-chorus format, but then switches gears with a psychedelic bridge featuring layered vocals and spacey guitar tones. After this bridge, the song drives back into the chorus, which leads to my personal favorite part of the song, the guitar solo. Guitarist Dean DeLeo clearly shows why he is one of the most underrated guitarists of the last 20 years, playing about a minute-long solo that displays a definite influence from Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page. “Silvergun Superman” is an excellent song that shows how great Stone Temple Pilots are, and proves that they are one of the best alternative rock bands of their generation, as well as one of the most underrated rock bands.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

DeathBedMotorcade

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Wrote about Silvergun Superman for a college project
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 05:16:39 AM »
Quote from: "wickedgarden23"
I'm in History of Rock & Roll in college right now (awesome right!) and our end of the semester project is to pick 5 songs we think are important to rock music by bands that we didn't talk about in class and one of the ones I picked was Silvergun Superman. Who knows, my teacher might mention them when we get to the 90s next week, but here's what I said:

This song is an excellent example of the grungy, alternative rock sound prevalent in the 1990s. Stone Temple Pilots, my personal favorite band of all-time, was one of the most important bands of this era, along with the likes of Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and more. In my opinion, this song is unique because it blends several different styles into a grunge song. The members of STP have indicated they are inspired from several different influences, from The Doors to funk to ragtime. This song in particular is driven by a heavy, Zeppelin-like riff accompanied by a distinctive, funky and melodic bass line. Lead singer Scott Weiland’s vocals seem to strongly draw from Jim Morrison’s deep, melodic baritone style. Weiland’s lyrics are far from generic, as he sings rather abstract lines such as “I can feel when the pig whispers sweetly” and “couldn’t hide, write a wave, ride a lie.” The song follows a rather simple, verse-chorus-verse-chorus format, but then switches gears with a psychedelic bridge featuring layered vocals and spacey guitar tones. After this bridge, the song drives back into the chorus, which leads to my personal favorite part of the song, the guitar solo. Guitarist Dean DeLeo clearly shows why he is one of the most underrated guitarists of the last 20 years, playing about a minute-long solo that displays a definite influence from Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page. “Silvergun Superman” is an excellent song that shows how great Stone Temple Pilots are, and proves that they are one of the best alternative rock bands of their generation, as well as one of the most underrated rock bands.

I am not trying to be a jerk but the line is:
"I can hear when the pig whispers sweetly" not "I can feel when the pig whispers sweetly"

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 07:46:38 AM »
Quote from: "DeathBedMotorcade"

"I can hear when the pig whispers sweetly" not "I can feel when the pig whispers sweetly"
wow what the fuck i have no idea why i wrote that. thats bizarre lol thanks for pointing that out. luckily i havent turned in the assignment yet lol
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Jim2131

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »
nice job dude

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 03:30:36 AM »
Sounds awesome, dude!

DeathBedMotorcade

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 10:18:14 PM »
Quote from: "DeathBedMotorcade"

wow what the fuck i have no idea why i wrote that. thats bizarre lol thanks for pointing that out. luckily i havent turned in the assignment yet lol
No problem and I thought this very well written.  You should get an A+!

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 11:57:10 PM »
My favorite STP song.  I think that the verses are pretty grunge, but the overall song is a work of art.  I think it has the most soul of all their songs. I will always remember seeing them for the first time live in 2008 and Scott kind of crouching below Dean and dancing during the guitar solo on that song.  :)

zackrandal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2010, 06:53:13 PM »
Quote from: "Casual"
My favorite STP song.  I think that the verses are pretty grunge, but the overall song is a work of art.  I think it has the most soul of all their songs. I will always remember seeing them for the first time live in 2008 and Scott kind of crouching below Dean and dancing during the guitar solo on that song.  :)

yeah i think its an example of how grunge can really be art. its so dirty-sounding in certain parts but its just an amazing song, especially the guitar solo, which everyone seems to love...  stp's one of those bands that can be just as epic as led zeppelin while still having a style of their own

zackrandal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
yeah its always seemed like betrayal to me, its about someone he thought was his friend who is a liar. when he said a friend "back home" i guess he could have meant in his hometown when he was younger, but he also could have meant in his record company, maybe even in his band. scott has been known to be vague when it comes to stuff like this.

zackrandal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: end of silvergun superman
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 07:50:54 PM »
Quote from: "Art School Boy"
yeah dean does the drums. i love that song and the ending adds to it. i like the end of mc5 when someone, i believe dean, yells "i broke a string!"

yeah i LOVE that, i yell the same thing at the end of one of my band's songs as a joke. nobody gets it. also the end of "wet my bed" where you hear them all laughing like "holy shit people are actually gonna buy this..."

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »
I've always thought it was about a close friend of his who ran off with his first wife. Could be wrong, but I definitely think the theme is a friend of his who slept with either Janina or an ex gf of Scott's. Obviously he calls the guy a liar, maybe the lie was that he posed as a friend to Scott when really he wasn't.

When he says "I can hear when the pig whispers sweetly, jealousy is a weapon you kill me" - I think the "pig" is his friend, and he whispers sweetly to mask the fact that he's a pig. So Scott is fooled into thinking the "pig" is his friend, when really it's a jealous person striving for something Scott has.

The whole rolling back the days with my friend I love to play... I think counts back how the "friend" gained his trust and attained loyalty from Scott. They were little kids playing superman and shooting guns (slivergun probably points back to some specific memory of Scott's in childhood with this person).

Then he says, take a piece of my life, try to take my wife. I definitely think it was to do with the friend trying to steal a girl from Scott. Whether successful or unsuccessful, Scott felt backstabbed by the experience. That said, these could just be metaphors for backstabbing, so hard to say.