September 27, 2024, 07:31:49 PM

Author Topic: How did you go about choosing your favorite STP Album?  (Read 5076 times)

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
How did you go about choosing your favorite STP Album?
« on: November 16, 2008, 06:00:56 PM »
My favorite album is Purple and it's my favorite because I like every single song on it. Core would come in second only because I didn't like 'Wet My Bed' and 'No Memory'. I did a process of elimination with all the albums based on how many songs I like from the specific CD.

How did you guys choose your favorite STP album?

Thirty-Three

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
Re: How did you go about choosing your favorite STP Album?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 11:28:23 PM »
I chose Purple as my favorite for its atmosphere, its eccentric cover art, my love for every song on the album, and just the overall singularity of it; it has a quite distinctive variety. Oh, it's also essential for me to mention 12 Gracious Melodies. The only hidden track on an STP album and it's good.  8)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 02:35:48 AM »
You cannot chose a favorite album. The album chooses you.

Tiny Music discovered me a long time ago. Being that STP established themselves with their two defining albums, the psychedelic pop rock that was Tiny Music was a creative masterpiece. They could was rested on their laurels, but they went in a different direction and created one of the most underrated and underappreciated rock albums of the 90s. Without question my ultimate desert island album.

As for the rest of the albums, I feel Purple is their strongest album from front to back. If I were to introduce someone to STP for the first time, I would make them listen to Purple. No 4. I feel is the weakest because I feel the album is too uneven. The material is either really good or really poor. SLDD was the same way, but I felt the material on that album as a whole was stronger. Core is in the middle of the pack.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 03:09:37 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
You cannot chose a favorite album. The album chooses you.

Ha - I love that, Scott.  Agreed, with absolutely everything.   ;D   But Purple is my desert island disc.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

CREEP2

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 03:25:55 PM »
If I have to pick one album it is a toss up between Core and Purple I listen to them both a lot but I would have to say purple is my favorite.
"I\'d suck dick for fashion and there was a time when I\'d suck dick for a crack hit,

weilandtay

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:43:12 PM »
Each album has been a big part of a different part of my life.  But all in all the best STP album for me is Purple.  It has so much varity from start to finsih.  It has the hard rock of Core mixed with great melody which Scott creates for the rest of his musical career.

Wishful Sinful

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thehopelesspyromantic
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 05:19:54 AM »
Purple, without a doubt. This album even makes its way into my dreams, which is quite the accomplishment! I just last night dreamt about falling asleep in a room FILLED with people to "Meatplow" and no one complained  ;D

And who can argue with "Kitchenware and Candybars" being the most reflective song you have ever heard? Okay, maybe you are out there, but it is the most EMOTIVE reflective song you have heard. Plus, song 12 is HILARIOUS and sums the entire album up expressly.
"Why don\'t you go find yourself a pig to fuck?!"

Jeremy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 08:49:24 AM »
I just think Purple is their all around best, and the one I find myself listening to more than the others and enjoying the most.

Purple just has all the great qualities of STP and very little of their faults. Dean and Rob just wrote some awesome stuff for the record (Always the most important thing for me concerning STP albums), and I love the way it sounds overall. Probably Scott's best lyrics (Which isn't saying much  ;)  ), and just some great guitar and bass work all around. They seem like they had a great idea of what they wanted to achieve on the record, and it came out just as they wanted, instead of it coming out as another, "Hey, we really love Pearl Jam and want to show you how much!" album.

Every other STP album never really holds my interest the whole way through. Nothing against the songs, they just don't hit me like they did a few years ago. Purple is extremely great consistently the whole way through.

~Jeremy~

DrGONZOakaRaoulDuke

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 08:44:26 PM »
Tiny Music is a masterpiece.  For a band that had established themeselves as a hard rock act, this album was a perfect next step. They took the hard rock elements and added a added a cup of psychodelics to give them their own sound. For me, this seperated them from the other great bands that were out there. However, these days, i'm listennig to No. 4 and Purple the most.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 08:56:10 PM »
I choose Purple as well. First off, I thought Weiland's vocals were the strongest on that album. Musically, the songwriting is inspired and spectacular. The music is catchy and original, and every single song on there serves as a massive anthem in my book. The solos are killer, too. My favorite song on the album is Kitchenware & Candybars, and it finishes off the album perfectly (prior to the 12 gracious melodies). I think that album front to back is flawless. It's my favorite album of all time, bar none. I can point out minor flaws in the others. Core is too one dimensional. Tiny Music is great, but a little too scratchy and songs like Art School Girl are a little too ridiculous for me. #4 has great songs, but doesn't work together that well. SLDD was a great effort, but Days of the Week for me was a weak attempt at a radio hit -- and that was a disappointing part.