September 27, 2024, 05:37:23 PM

Author Topic: What religion is Scott?  (Read 13895 times)

adhesive-love

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
What religion is Scott?
« on: July 03, 2008, 12:26:23 AM »
In "A Song for Sleeping," he says
    "There's so much God can teach you if you only had the time"

Since it is a personal song for him, I think it does reveal something about his religion.  Anyone know?
I know I want what\'s on my mind.

kretzl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: What religion is Scott?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:28:38 AM »
He said in an interview last summer that he is Catholic.

stpnj2008

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 01:23:07 AM »
Scott has also spoke about his spiritual beliefs with regards to getting the band back together. He feels there was some sort of intervention to help mend their spirits.

ArmyAnt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 01:54:10 AM »
He has described himself (in the past) as being "spiritual but not religious" and said that he "doesnt believe in organized religion". Many of the songs on Core deal with this- Naked Sunday, Wicked Garden, Sin, Where The River Goes, all have religious undertones. He seemed to have a lot of confusion when he was younger and question a lot, as most younger people (including myself) tend to do ("when all is over and we return to dust, who will be my judge and which one do i trust?"). He does mention God and religious metaphors from time to time in lyrics, and its always interesting to me that with each album they seem to grow and become better defined and less cloudy. Its quite possible he has become more religious or even catholic, etc. Im sure his beliefs have changed a lot since he got married & had a family too.

kretzl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 02:32:39 AM »
Scott, from a Blender magazine interview last summer:

"I’m still a practicing Catholic, and it’s an interesting dichotomy: I haven’t lived my life like a perfect Catholic, but I don’t think you have to. I believe in the Devil: I experienced some very bizarre things when I was in the height of my addiction — popped a cork in the genie bottle and felt the Devil — not, like, literally Satan, but energy from that side of the spectrum."

ZhaoShu

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/zhao_shu
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 03:39:53 AM »
Ive seen him wearing religious jewelry. medallions... saints... that sort of thing. and prayer beads... or a rosary...

some people need religion in their lives...

MedicBarbie

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 05:50:27 AM »
There is no such thing as a "perfect Catholic".  It's an oxymoron.  ;) 

In the end, God made Scott the way he is.  He put him on this earth to accomplish something.  The journey is his to make and he sure is making it one hell of a ride!

Yes, I'm a good Catholic school educated, Irish-Italian princess. :P ;D  BUT, I don't think that one needs to be a practicing Catholic to be spiritual and be a good person.  I don't agree with the Catholic Church in it's entirety, but I do believe in God and the Bible.

Edited to add:
WTF? I hate when I'm philosophical! ::) ::)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:02:22 AM by MedicBarbie »

down

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 07:19:56 AM »
Do you remember which saints he was wearing in particular? I'm a tad curious..
All that first class jet-set brings me down, down down,
All that first class drug shit brings me down...

kretzl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 01:41:36 PM »
Quote from: "MedicBarbie"
BUT, I don't think that one needs to be a practicing Catholic to be spiritual and be a good person.  I don't agree with the Catholic Church in it's entirety, but I do believe in God and the Bible.

This echoes my feelings exactly.  I was raised Catholic too.  I certainly don't go to church every Sunday (I haven't gone in years), but I do believe in the power of prayer and in God.  Basically I believe you don't have to go to church to be able to "communicate" with God.  Sheesh, that sounds preachy, which was totally not my intention.  Oh well.  I'll shut up now.  ;)

I was kind of surprised to hear Scott say he is Catholic.  I don't know why, but I didn't peg him as the type.       

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 03:58:21 PM »
I'm a recovering Catholic...ha!  Yeah Scott was raised Catholic but not sure if he's still a practicing Catholic per sé. 

Personally I am very eclectic in my spiritual beliefs...hence my name.  I'm Unitarian Universalist.  (For those of you who don't know what a UU is, it's basically a catch-all...they believe in many theologies)  I practice elements of Hinduism, Buddhism, New Age, Neo-Pagan, Wicca and some Christianity. 
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

tatiana

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 04:28:57 AM »
i'm still recovering from twelve years of catholic school too!

i guess i'm a practicing catholic. we attend church every sunday and my kids are being raised catholic but - in all actuality - i'd rather they have a personal relationship with god than worry about rules and regulations (so to speak).
spirituality is much more important to me.
Born free. Now I\\\'m Expensive.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 04:38:11 AM »
Quote from: "kretzl"
Scott, from a Blender magazine interview last summer:

"I’m still a practicing Catholic, and it’s an interesting dichotomy: I haven’t lived my life like a perfect Catholic, but I don’t think you have to. I believe in the Devil: I experienced some very bizarre things when I was in the height of my addiction — popped a cork in the genie bottle and felt the Devil — not, like, literally Satan, but energy from that side of the spectrum."

I've never heard that before, verrrry interesting. I can relate to him. Thanks for sharing.

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 02:44:41 PM »
he's said god helped him getting clean...and thanks god first on every record...I think he's quite religious
I had the midwife naked and alone

blink706

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »
i don't believe in any one religion. i just believe a lot of different shit

MedicBarbie

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 09:58:33 PM »
Quote from: "EclecticBohemian"
I'm a recovering Catholic...ha!  Yeah Scott was raised Catholic but not sure if he's still a practicing Catholic per sé. 

Personally I am very eclectic in my spiritual beliefs...hence my name.  I'm Unitarian Universalist.  (For those of you who don't know what a UU is, it's basically a catch-all...they believe in many theologies)  I practice elements of Hinduism, Buddhism, New Age, Neo-Pagan, Wicca and some Christianity. 
I am infatuated with Wiccan beliefs. :)  It started because I usually wear a very complex triquetra necklace that was handmade and someone commented on it.   I wear mine because of it's Celtic and Christian ties but I enjoy the different takes on it's meaning and what they represent.   ;)  When I'm finally tattooed, I am fairly certain it will have a triquetra in it of some sort.  :)