September 27, 2024, 08:04:37 PM

Author Topic: STP & "Grunge" Label  (Read 7849 times)

kilter

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP & "Grunge" Label
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 04:19:37 AM »
Yeah it bugs me when people refer to them currently as a "grunge" band. that kind of dismisses everything they did after their first album, and conjures up the image of a bunch of dudes in their 40s still sporting flannel and cargo shorts and long hair, with strained vocals and angst. *deep shudder*

I understand why though, to an extent.. they fit in with a particular sound and style when they first emerged, and we silly humans need to define everything and put it into tiny categories.. the problem is when you're trying to put a label on something as (ideally) creative, ever changing and evolving as music, you can't guarantee that it will continue to fit your definition, or ever fit in the first place. 

EustaciaWildeve

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 04:58:14 AM »
I feel like when critics refer to STP as a grunge band, they're using the term in a pejorative sense . . . as though that's all STP was capable of . . . and I think they're so much more versatile than that.  So I guess I get kind of irritated when I hear the band referred to using that term.  I like grunge music, but I don't think that one term describes the band adequately.  To define them using that term really limits them.  Also, when they produce something that doesn't align with the classic conventions of that genre--which they did after Core, I think--it gives critics another excuse to slam them.

What genre do you assign to a band that constantly evolves and is still great?

It also irritates me when I see posters at other sites talking about STP as "copycats."  Every band/artist has influences, and all art is created from something else that came before it.  Nothing is created ex nihilo.  But I digress. . . .
They sell their words but it\'s all a lie . . .

[url=http://www.fan2band.com/dl/re/scottweiland/1708

kilter

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 05:06:37 AM »
Quote from: "eustaciawildeve"
I feel like when critics refer to STP as a grunge band, they're using the term in a pejorative sense . . . as though that's all STP was capable of . . . and I think they're so much more versatile than that.  So I guess I get kind of irritated when I hear the band referred to using that term.  I like grunge music, but I don't think that one term describes the band adequately.  To define them using that term really limits them.  Also, when they produce something that doesn't align with the classic conventions of that genre--which they did after Core, I think--it gives critics another excuse to slam them.

What genre do you assign to a band that constantly evolves and is still great?

It also irritates me when I see posters at other sites talking about STP as "copycats."  Every band/artist has influences, and all art is created from something else that came before it.  Nothing is created ex nihilo.  But I digress. . . .

exactly!!