September 27, 2024, 08:07:57 PM

Author Topic: STP & "Grunge" Label  (Read 7850 times)

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
STP & "Grunge" Label
« on: June 30, 2008, 02:37:18 PM »
Ugh, am I the only one that goes mental when they are labeld "grunge?"  There's nothing wrong with the grunge genere, I was heavily into it in the '90s.  My problem is that it's a "throwback" typecast & it is too encapsulating.  STP is not a throwback band and they are way too diverse to put into one genere.  They have evolved & continue to do so.

Anyone else?
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

Six7Six7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP & "Grunge" Label
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:53:48 PM »
No one labeled grunge likes the term.

No one who listens to that type of music likes that term.

It's a media invention, like Hair Metal, to describe music by it's physical appearance.

So you really shouldn't worry too much.

To this day it's only used by mainstream media outlets who haven't caught up with the rest of the world.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 03:55:40 PM »
Even if Core is considered grunge, the rest of STP's work broke that mold without a doubt. Look at my of the bands of that time and let me know if any of them could pull off Tiny Music or Shangri-la Dee Da.

Six7Six7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:02:30 PM »
Quote from: "VeiledTrickerySTP"
Even if Core is considered grunge, the rest of STP's work broke that mold without a doubt. Look at my of the bands of that time and let me know if any of them could pull off Tiny Music or Shangri-la Dee Da.

once again, it is not a sound. it's the clothing they wore in that timeframe.

there is no grunge sound.

stpnj2008

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 07:29:51 PM »
I can't even see how you can justify labeling their clothing as grunge. I've always thought their look on stage is very throwback, avant garde-ish
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:31:43 PM by stpnj2008 »

Olivia

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge_music

It's not about the clothes at all. It is in the sound of the music. Whether STP is grunge or not, I'm sure that's debatable. IMO, Core can be considered grunge. But it ends there. The rest of their albums were very diverse, and while there are individual songs that are grungy, Core is the only album I'd say can be considered grunge in its entirety.

It's not something to get upset about, though...

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 10:23:36 PM »
Eh, I don't get upset...it's just one of those things that irks me-a pet-peeve if-you-will.  The lame PJ/STP jokes used to irk me; now they are just old and lame.
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

erichoholic2k1

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 03:07:59 AM »
Bah...I hate labels, with the exception of emo. If I know something qualifies as emo, I can avoid it like the plague, but otherwise, why pigeonhole an all around great rock band like STP as this or that?

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 07:48:42 AM »
Grunge rules and I'm fine with STP being associated with that sound/group.  It was a great movement with some great bands.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

ShirleyTemplesPie

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 12:21:40 PM »
To me grunge was always verse chorus verse.  Which was a quiet loud quiet 3 chord refrain.  See Smells like teen spirit or Radioheads creep both awesome btw.  STP has always been far too diverse to be pidgeon-holed as "grunge".

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 08:30:48 PM »
I'm talking about Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Screaming Trees, and Soundgarden.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 05:46:58 PM »
Quote from: "EclecticBohemian"
Ugh, am I the only one that goes mental when they are labeld "grunge?"  There's nothing wrong with the grunge genere, I was heavily into it in the '90s.  My problem is that it's a "throwback" typecast & it is too encapsulating.  STP is not a throwback band and they are way too diverse to put into one genere.  They have evolved & continue to do so.

Anyone else?

Core is a grunge album, for sure. The rest of the material I wouldn't described that way. I'd be curious to see if people consider new Pearl Jam material as "grunge". Their sound hasn't changed as much as STP, and they don't have as much variety... but I don't really think you consider Audioslave, modern Pearl Jam or Foo Fighters "grunge", even though they all started out of that era.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 08:42:38 PM »
They can call it grunge or pop or anything else that seems to fit the trend, but when you boil it down, STP is and always has been a good, old fashioned rock and roll band.  :)
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Meatplow

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 12:41:41 AM »
Hearing the word "grunge" to describe that era and/or its music is like hearing a pair of nails being dragged across a chalkboard for me. With that said, it's safe to say I hate the term used to describe STP.

Nozomi

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 12:19:33 PM »
I have the same pet peeve with the genre punk. Most bands now are labeled punk when they aren't punk at all. But there's really nothing we can do about mislabels. D:

STP definately broke out of the grunge sound. Purple The new PJ album (Pearl Jam), the newest Soundgarden album (Down on the Upside), all the new albums of the bands labeled "grunge" aren't really grungish at all. Not to mention that the grunge "sound" is really inconsistent.

But because all these amazing bands are labeled grunge, grunge will always be my one true love (of rock genres), so to me, it doesn't really matter. If I threw every band in generic "rock" than it would take forever to find on my iPod.
The answer is none, none more black.