June 24, 2024, 12:51:56 PM

Author Topic: stp maybe to st upp a new record label  (Read 32051 times)

gizallinyabiz

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Record Company Woes
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2008, 03:11:48 AM »
Quote from: "CMCracker"
i don't understad.. they are suing because they want control of how many albums they make?? explain please

Im assuming that STP or at least Scott and Eric signed a contract for a specific amount of albums and havent furfilled that obligation...and until they do Atlantic doesnt have to let them out of it

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2008, 03:14:27 AM »
Scott's got good lawyers, they'll take care of it.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2008, 03:15:42 AM »
Yeah ... reading the story in the original post and putting that together with a lot of what the band members have said in the media over the past 2 months ... this lawsuit is not surprising at all.

Doesn't mean Atlantic doesn't suck, for sure, but at the same time, to look at it from a business standpoint from their eyes (and let's not forget they are indeed a business) ... they're sort of sitting there watching one of their biggest-selling acts reunite and talk about making more music, but doing it wiser and in a non-traditional method (i.e. without the assistance of a major record label ... Weiland pretty much said this as a direct quote more or less) ... but yet STP, or at least 2 members of the band, ARE still under contract. So if you're Atlantic, of course you're going look at all this, take it in, and then you're going to play hard ball, be dicks about it and make it tough on them to sever the ties.

I agree it makes no sense to hold the artists to the contract when they don't even want to be a part of it anymore. Similar to the way a pro sports franchise handles an athlete who is disgruntled about his contract or his position on the team. However, the end result is, whether STP is legally binded to a contract or not, putting out a shit album or a half-hearted release serves NOBODY in any good way ... not the band, not the fans, not the label ... nobody.

I think Atlantic is counting on that fact in making the decision to go ahead with this lawsuit. This isn't to say STP can't possibly find a way out of it ... but clearly Eric and Scott never took the official steps necessary to break off their agreement with Atlantic. Obviously, the DeLeo Bros. thought this whole thing through a bit more during the interim before the 2008 Reunion.
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2008, 03:21:16 AM »
oh ok...i just read something in rolling stone about him trying to get out of contract with them...something about a new creative way to get around it..
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Peebs

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Ghetto Fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2008, 03:24:20 AM »
If they released Robert and Dean because:
In late 2003, the other two members of the group, guitarist Dean DeLeo and bassist Robert DeLeo, were released by Atlantic from their recording contract as they said they wanted to pursue separate careers.

Wouldn't Scott who joined VR and was signed to Sony/BMG be the same thing? Pursuing a separate career?

Poor Eric...he was just in the bomb shelter minding his own damn business....
If you don't like STP, then you're pretty much not American (from a MO message board)

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2008, 03:49:53 AM »
I don't get why they care about having Eric under contract, unless they have some evil plan to put him in a god awful supergroup.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2008, 04:04:31 AM »
It's just the point that they (Atlantic) will hold on to the 'group' any way they can, even if it means making them get out of their contract obligations individually. This way, they figure maybe Eric or Scott will find it too difficult, for whatever reason, just end up saying 'fuck it' - then further down the road when it's time to make a new STP album, they just give in and record it for Atlantic instead of on an indie label ... or completely independent of any label. They'll make them fight to do it their own way no matter what, is the bottom line. Seems like a business decision, more than anything. Having the STP brand name is good for their business, and they'll do any damn thing they can to hang onto that ... even if the guys making the record for them hate their guts. I think Aerosmith went through a similar situation back in the early 90s shortly after 'Get a Grip' came out.

Peebs, more to your idea, you raise a legitimate point. Unfortunately, the article does a poor job (or no job, really) of explaining what is different about Scott's situation from that of the DeLeos in terms of not being held accountable to the current STP recording contract with Atlantic. It could be as simple a situation as the DeLeos formally approached Atlantic and got approval to go their own way, whereas maybe Weiland and Eric didn't bother to run that by them. Could have just been a "gentlemen's agreement" - and I use that term loosely, instead of necessarily being in writing (this might also explain why the article is worded as is). That might be enough for Atlantic to say - "Well 2 of these guys did it the right way, so we'll leave them alone. But the other 2 just kind of ignored us, so we'll come down on them."
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2008, 04:49:38 AM »
I hate that everthing is always about money
♪♫Give you all those diamonds, Give you more and more, Shattered all those lies, I bought You from the record store ♪♫

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2008, 05:54:35 AM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
Scott's got good lawyers, they'll take care of it.
HA HA  QUote of the year I l'm going to bed on this one!

tatiana

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2008, 06:16:26 AM »
Quote from: "CMCracker"
I hate that everthing is always about money

welcome to the real world!
Born free. Now I\\\'m Expensive.

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2008, 05:20:04 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/entertai ... 0020080613
According to this article an STP spokesperson said there is DEFINITELY an album coming, there's an update on the lawsuit in it too.

CMCracker

• **Bad Girl**
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2008, 05:24:29 PM »
so if atllantic doesn't back off they will stop touring?

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2008, 05:36:31 PM »
Nothing is ever definite with STP.

They won't stop touring (because of this anyway) this has nothing to do with live shows and only future recorded material.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2008, 05:40:19 PM »
Quote from: "thejackal"
Nothing is ever definite with STP.

One thing is always definite with STP:
There is always controversy or turmoil.  :)

thejackal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2008, 05:45:33 PM »
Quote from: "Aaron"
One thing is always definite with STP:
There is always controversy or turmoil.  :)

Good point.  I should have stated there is never anything definite with regards to POSITIVE news.