September 27, 2024, 07:33:51 PM

Author Topic: studio vs live  (Read 7521 times)

mrzod1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
studio vs live
« on: May 28, 2008, 01:56:30 PM »
Does anyone here prefer any studio versions to live versions or vice-versa?  If so, why?

kazuality

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: studio vs live
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:25:43 PM »
There are songs that certainly better version of the study as Regeneration, the current Big Bang Baby, or even Superman with silvergun ... but also passes the opposite ...

Best live version of Trippin, Eat Sex and Violence

But that happens to all bands
Look I just want to go out sometime you know.  Like normal people, spend time together and enjoy each other's company. Like best friends.  Like lovers that care.  Who actually respect the relationship you know?"

pibe.91

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fotolog.com/noventero
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 02:54:31 PM »
yeah... it happens to all the bands...

The best live songs performances are sex type thing , plush and crackerman ...
Well , in studio? Creep , lady picture show and seven caged tigers...

I prefer  the studio songs .However, live songs are awsome too.

Juanma

Meatplow

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 03:12:35 PM »
Wicked Garden sounds awesome in its studio version, but when you've seen it live the crowd's reaction to it really makes it that much better.

Songs that I definitely prefer in their studio version are Creep, Kitchenware and Candybars, and Big Bang Baby.

mrzod1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 03:21:36 PM »
I usually prefer studio unless there is something new and different and it's a good thing.  Alot of times it's a trade off.  Like the ending to Silvergun Superman, it's cool but the studio one has things the live doesn't.  Like more guitars/vocals and whatnot.  Also improvisation can be cooler and sometimes not.  I'm such a flip-flopper.

Eddypus14

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »
I usually like live music much better than album stuff.

However I never (nevernevernever) liked sour girl live.
Keep a dime for the truth you might tell.

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 03:31:20 PM »
I am a fan of live music. If an artist or band really shine live...they are a true talent. Live music is where the soul really lets go and the performer is naked...raw...alive.
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 02:17:06 AM »
i really like the live music better. there just seems to be more energy. maybe not as precise but i like them better
i am smellin like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 02:20:07 AM »
I only live albums I listen to anymore is any of the Pearl Jam bootlegs. I probably watch concert DVDs more then CDs nowadays.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 02:26:54 AM »
all depends on the artist, the mixing of the studio album, and the quality of a particulaur live show.  I alway like when a band 'vamps' a bit on songs during concerts to make them stand out a bit from the recorded versions.
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

stpfan77

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 02:33:02 AM »
For me, it really depends on the song, but because STP is so fantastic as a live band when they're in the groove, it presents an interesting question.

For instance, there's an acoustic version of Sour Girl out there, with just Scott singing and Dean on guitar, with no Robert and Eric. I actually like this version better than the studio No. 4 version. You can really hear how brilliant yet simple the melodies to the song are without all the overtracking and supplemental instruments heard in the studio. Same thing with Wonderful, off Shangri-La Dee Da. There's an acoustic version on the Family Values 2001 Tour album that's a little more stripped down than the album version, but beautiful.

The live version of Coma from Rolling Rock 2001 is pretty explosive, as is Long Way Home, also from that same show.

Sex & Violence, off No. 4, is another example. Check the live version of that from the Thank You DVD - absolutely balls-to-the-wall.

Some studio versions that I actually prefer include Big Bang Baby, Days of the Week, Creep and Plush (oddly enough).
It\'s more or less the same old story
The princess and the whore the lady!

rushp1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 07:59:10 AM »
I think a song like "Trippin..." is better live because there can be more passion and enthusiasm in the vocal from Scott

coma09

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 08:23:48 AM »
i prefer STP live thats why i chase down their bootlegs and dont listen to their studio stuff much, though i like the sound of SLDD so i listen to that more than the others.

mrzod1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »
well one thing I like about the live creep is the way he sings the 'think you're kinda neat' part and with Rob doing the harmony to it a la the Family Values version with the Staind fella.  I know they've done the varied melody before, but has Robert always done a harmony to it?

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 03:51:12 PM »
Quote from: "Meatplow"
Songs that I definitely prefer in their studio version are Creep, Kitchenware and Candybars, and Big Bang Baby.

The VH1 Storytellers version of K&C was fantastic. It was tightly played and really showcased Scott's vocal power while in his prime there. There is also a version on the Unplugged & More disc that is decent with some rearrangement going on during the song.
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015