September 27, 2024, 08:07:32 PM

Author Topic: Any other Musicans inspired to start playing by STP ?  (Read 7063 times)

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Any other Musicans inspired to start playing by STP ?
« on: May 05, 2008, 10:19:56 PM »
Was anyone else here inspired to pick up there instrument by STP ? Robert DeLeo had a huge influence on my inspiration to play bass and come anywhere near his talent in rockin it. It was after watching STP's unplugged that I stared in amazement of the bands talent and I knew that thats what I wanted to do !
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

ShirleyTemplesPie

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Any other Musicans inspired to start playing by STP ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 10:48:31 PM »
They were definately a part of what got me playing and I definately learned how to play by learning the songs on Purple.  Great chord voicings along with some great heavy riffs.  I'm glad I started with that instead of all the other power chord bands of the era.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 11:35:58 PM »
Yeah STP music deffiently incorporates some not so common chording that really adds to the color of the songs.

wild_eyes

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 12:50:35 AM »
I can't say the necissarily inspired me to start playing but their music is inspirational as a player. I can really feel the groove with Eric as a drummer (when I play along with the songs). As a bass player that's important...their songs are a total blast to play :D

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 08:13:19 PM »
Its funny, they werent my intial reason for playing, but because of them i got into rock n roll and i did learn alot of there songs although i cant barely play any of them 2day

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 11:36:29 PM »
Quote from: "wild_eyes"
I can't say the necissarily inspired me to start playing but their music is inspirational as a player. I can really feel the groove with Eric as a drummer (when I play along with the songs). As a bass player that's important...their songs are a total blast to play :D

Robert is total groove !

veeno

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 01:12:52 AM »
Although I wasn't inspired by STP to 'start' playing music, they definitely DO inspire me currently...if that counts.

keith82

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 01:16:00 AM »
They were definately one of the reasons. My first shows with bands were filled with STP songs (played horribly, I'm sure).

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 01:53:57 AM »
I usually tell people that Eric Clapton and Edward Van Halen inspired me to pick up a guitar, STP inspired me to want to write songs, sing, and join a band.

kretzl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 07:42:29 PM »
Absolutely.  Seeing STP/Dean on the Purple tour left me in awe and I immediately went out and bought my first guitar.

stpwkdgrdn

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 07:52:31 PM »
The Deleos were my inspiration in the 7th grade.  Something about those big structures of dissonance with awesome harmony on top.  They rock.

vikingoSTP

• Arrival
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
I´m from Argentina. I play bass. My main inspiration is Rob De Leo. He´s great.

In my band we cover some STP songs as well as Soundgarden songs and even Zeppelin songs... but one of our strongest influence is STP... great that they´re back... but I´ll miss Vr... but I prefer STP, ja.

Saludos

Promising_Boy

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 06:32:34 PM »
they didn't initialy inspired me to start playing guitar, 'cause i didn't even heard of them back in those days... but they certainly inspired and steered my music style generally since the day i heard their first song... the way i play, the sound i'm trying to achive, all of that is the credit of STP... i always thought of them as a rock geniuses... i mean... Roberts technique is just brilliant, he combined all the best techniques he could find out there... i dunno... HE'S THE BEST THERE IS !!! ... and Deans riff ripping style is just for the school books... every solo of his is just breathtaking... i mean... they totally inspired me musically... they are the true music and artistic archetypes, simply the BEST for me !

gnrdestructx

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 12:09:53 AM »
STP is a big influence to me.. when I write riffs and stuff.. jus the rawness and stuff from core.. but also givs ideas for acoustic things..defo a band to look upto

HerdJC

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 01:28:49 PM »
Definitely.  I started picking up the bass because of Robert.  I'm still not very good at all, but I can pluck along a bit with some STP songs now.