September 27, 2024, 06:39:53 PM

Author Topic: Purple topic  (Read 22038 times)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: chinese purple symbol
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2008, 06:34:28 PM »
Quote from: "MedicBarbie"
I know some places don't care about tattoos, but I've worked places where they say you have to cover your visible tattoos, which sucks when it's 100 degrees outside, and your tats are on your forearms.  Personally, I think that's discrimination, but that's just my .02.  :P  ;D

I think it's discrimination too. I don't have any tattoos (yet), but I have piercings. I have a tongue, labret, and ear. When I went on interviews, I used to wear them to show the people this is who I really am. I HATE being something that I am not. But, I decided not to where them for one interview and I ended up getting that job. It absolutely bugs me to no end. Then again, it depends on the work environment. I work in a hotel now, so I don't wear them. Before that, I worked five years in retail and it was no issue.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

MedicBarbie

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
I think it's discrimination too. I don't have any tattoos (yet), but I have piercings. I have a tongue, labret, and ear. When I went on interviews, I used to wear them to show the people this is who I really am. I HATE being something that I am not. But, I decided not to where them for one interview and I ended up getting that job. It absolutely bugs me to no end. Then again, it depends on the work environment. I work in a hotel now, so I don't wear them. Before that, I worked five years in retail and it was no issue.

That's bunk man!  I think a person should be allowed to be who they are, and if it means they don't look like everyone else, than so be it.

I'm not tattooed either, but I do have piercings - ears, tongue & belly.  I once worked somewhere that they almost forced me to take it out.  The corporate policy is "no visible body piercings".  I had my tongue ring in for my interview and was hired without question.  WTF?

Anyway, ArtSchoolBoy, it's just something to think about and keep in mind.  You've got a long life ahead of you and you need to make a living.  ;D :-*

Nathantok7

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2008, 08:15:14 PM »
I love you guys
The lunatic, is on the grass.

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2008, 08:33:10 PM »
Quote from: "MedicBarbie"
That's bunk man!  I think a person should be allowed to be who they are, and if it means they don't look like everyone else, than so be it.

I'm not tattooed either, but I do have piercings - ears, tongue & belly.  I once worked somewhere that they almost forced me to take it out.  The corporate policy is "no visible body piercings".  I had my tongue ring in for my interview and was hired without question.  WTF?

Anyway, ArtSchoolBoy, it's just something to think about and keep in mind.  You've got a long life ahead of you and you need to make a living.  ;D :-*

it is stupid but i guess its something we have to abide to. o well but thank you guys. i will take all of this into consideration.
i am smellin like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

ArmyAnt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2008, 06:45:49 PM »
I personally know this one because in like, 98 or 99 the guys were on a radio show, I actually got to talk to them and my question was exactly this....Eric answered it, the chinese symbol simply means "purple" and they wouldnt say anything else about it. They just started talking about living in Chinatown or something. Hmm.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2008, 07:15:38 PM »
I still question the validity of this symbol meaning "purple."

In high school, we had twin exchange students FROM China.  Both told me that it wasn't a Chinese character at all, and that it was just a symbol that resembled Chinese writing.  "It doesn't mean 'purple'?" I asked.  One of them then took out a notebook and drew the character for 'purple' - which did not even slightly resemble the doo-dad on the front of STP's Purple.

Having not been satisfied with this answer, I later asked this same question to a Japanese student in college.  He said it absolutely was not Japanese.  He didn't know what it was, but he knew it wasn't Japanese.

This question comes up every few years, usually because someone wants a tattoo.

Art School Boy - don't put a Chinese/Japanese symbol on yourself, even if it IS STP.  It's so fucking trendy.  All these douchebags are walking around with Chinese writing that stands for "power," and "truth," and "strength" -- when in reality they probably aren't Chinese characters at all, or they mean something entirely different.  I say unless you speak the language and KNOW FOR A FACT what it means, you shouldn't ink it to yourself.  It COULD say "smelly monkey balls."  And you'd never know.

Personally, I don't believe that the symbol on the front of the album is anything more than just a design.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

ArmyAnt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2008, 07:20:12 PM »
Yeah that makes sense...it does "look" like someone just made up a design. Eric just said it was Purple, but who knows? Maybe they even think it means Purple...this is interesting.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2008, 07:24:39 PM »
I've heard several stories of the band members claiming that the symbol stands for "purple."  They very well could have been misinformed by someone at some point.  Or, they are just simply repeating what someone told them.

I still say it's nothing.  Just a design.

We need to come up with a plan to lure some Chinese people on these boards.  lol
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

ArmyAnt

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2008, 07:38:05 PM »
LOL...you know I dont think Ive ever actually met an asian STP fan. However, I did google "chinese character purple", and found a few things that DO kind of look like our STP symbol. Maybe to the untrained, American eye it resembles "purple", but to an expert in chinese symbols it looks like a scribble :) Google it and see what you think.

MedicBarbie

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2008, 08:03:01 PM »
I have to fix the photo links... for some reason they're not showing up.

I posted the actual symbol for purple, and then what's on the album.  :)

The problem is (and this came from a Chinese speaking friend) that purple isn't literal.  Just like we have lilac, periwinkle and everything in between, so do the Chinese and the symbols are different. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:07:51 PM by MedicBarbie »

sourgirl

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Purple topic
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2008, 04:49:08 PM »
Well.. whether or not the symbol -actually- means purple or the guy in Chinatown was just messing with Eric.. I guess only he knows.

Did anyone else see/buy the black long-sleeved Purple inspired shirt on the tour? I didn't see it at the PNC show, but I picked one up at the Borgata.. I love it because its just that symbol on the front but if you look closely its a 'window' of sorts to the coverart for the album.. and it says "stone temple pilots" down each sleeve in the font from the cover. Kind of pricy but I'm wearing it enough to get my money's worth -- if no one knows what I'm talking about maybe I'll post a pic later - its yet to hit the official online store..

MedicBarbie

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2008, 07:22:13 AM »
^^^
I saw that, but I invested in the necklace, so I decided not to get ANOTHER shirt.  LOL!

blink706

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2008, 05:39:01 AM »
i want to get the stp shot glass

Vasoline*Val

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/valvixin
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2008, 09:49:56 PM »
Quote from: "sourgirl"
Well.. whether or not the symbol -actually- means purple or the guy in Chinatown was just messing with Eric.. I guess only he knows.

Did anyone else see/buy the black long-sleeved Purple inspired shirt on the tour? I didn't see it at the PNC show, but I picked one up at the Borgata.. I love it because its just that symbol on the front but if you look closely its a 'window' of sorts to the coverart for the album.. and it says "stone temple pilots" down each sleeve in the font from the cover. Kind of pricy but I'm wearing it enough to get my money's worth -- if no one knows what I'm talking about maybe I'll post a pic later - its yet to hit the official online store..

i have that shirt.. when my friend and i met dean deleo at our show 7/15 he gave us each one of those shirts i thought they were so cool cuz ive never seen it.. its so comfy i wear it to bed alot!
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend, pick a flower hold your breath and drif

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2008, 04:36:49 AM »
Yeah, Purple was written in a Chinese character on the front.

The album was named Purple because according to Weiland, "Purple is my favorite color...it's the color of bruises."