September 27, 2024, 05:50:33 PM

Author Topic: Purple remaster now on Youtube  (Read 3365 times)

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Purple remaster now on Youtube
« on: October 23, 2019, 01:38:52 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kw5inENBPxMWfRS4zjTGI7VFIySuwp7U4
Honestly, I can't hear a difference between this remaster and the original, even side by side.  Using headphones.  If there is any difference in sound quality it is very negligible

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Re: Purple remaster now on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 02:44:49 AM »
How can you remaster perfection? Looking forward to hearing it on vinyl since all I have is a less than stellar pressing at the moment.

Bleeda blooda

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 01:55:08 PM »
Just listened to Meatplow. Scott's lines are missing: "They've got these pictures of everything" / "They make us hate and we make it bleed" I checked the same track on Spotify and it's missing there too. Someone fucked up.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »
Just listened to Meatplow. Scott's lines are missing: "They've got these pictures of everything" / "They make us hate and we make it bleed" I checked the same track on Spotify and it's missing there too. Someone fucked up.

Are you sure your setup is playing stereo? Those lines are hard panned right for me, so if your machine only plays the mono left channel, you don't get to hear it.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 09:56:25 PM »

Yeah, they are definitely there for me.

Are you sure your setup is playing stereo? Those lines are hard panned right for me, so if your machine only plays the mono left channel, you don't get to hear it.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 11:29:26 PM »
Yeah I think it could’ve done with a slight volume boost myself and a slightly cleaner mix but hey ho, the songs are still awesome.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 12:11:58 AM »
Listening to the original master of Meatplow vs the re-master on Youtube... I'm really not hearing much of a difference. Maybe a slight bit more clarity in the guitars and vocals, but the difference is really subtle. I guess you really can't improve on perfection

I look forward to (maybe eventually) listening to it on my stereo system to see how it sounds there
Grab the hate and drown it out...

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 04:48:13 PM »
Call me crazy, but I'm one of those people who really never notices a difference between original and remastered recordings. This all seems like nothing more than a marketing tactic. I'm not saying there are albums out there where a notable difference goes completely unheard. But, I am saying the differences are not enough to make me go out and purchase the same album all over again.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 06:16:58 PM »
Call me crazy, but I'm one of those people who really never notices a difference between original and remastered recordings. This all seems like nothing more than a marketing tactic. I'm not saying there are albums out there where a notable difference goes completely unheard. But, I am saying the differences are not enough to make me go out and purchase the same album all over again.

Some remasters I own that are noticibly different than the originals are -

Soundgarden - ‘Superunknown’
Pearl Jam - ‘Ten’
Faith No More - ‘The Real Thing’

That’s just off the top of my head, those 3 are all louder and I think sound better on modern music players. There are some remasters though as you said where I can’t tell any difference at all, ‘Purple’ being one of them!
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 06:33:04 PM »

Some remasters I own that are noticibly different than the originals are -

Soundgarden - ‘Superunknown’
Pearl Jam - ‘Ten’
Faith No More - ‘The Real Thing’

That’s just off the top of my head, those 3 are all louder and I think sound better on modern music players. There are some remasters though as you said where I can’t tell any difference at all, ‘Purple’ being one of them!

I actually listen to the Ten version re-mixed by Brendan O'Brien more so then the original album. You can DEFINITELY tell a difference. The guitars are brought out more as are Eddie's vocals. Really loved what he did.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019, 06:53:47 PM »
IMO there was a noticeable difference with the Core remaster. I felt the instruments in the original sounded kind of muddy, and the remaster sounds much clearer and a little louder.

I think with Purple there just wasn't much to fix. Brendan's production was fairly minimalist, the songs were mostly tracked live with only occasional overdubs, and the resulting album sounded fairly clear and natural.

It doesn't really matter too much to me anyway. I had no problems with the original master, and the main reason I'm buying this is for the additional material.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 09:46:35 PM »
As someone with a pretty good ear and a lot of production experience, I do agree these changes are subtle.  I think the vocals are a tiny bit louder overall.  I bet of lot of the work was probably just using snazzy digital EQs to do a little bit of subtle cleanup mostly in the lower frequencies on certain tracks. 

Does anybody have this album as WAV or FLAC?  I could potentially re-align and subtract the old tracks from the new tracks and we'd hear exactly what the differences are. 

Caveat: If these are a brand new dump from the master tapes, that'll likely be impossible. 

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 01:27:12 PM »

Okay, I hear them now on my iPhone. There must be something wrong with my home setup. Rgrhhr!

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 07:53:40 PM »
Remixing also isn’t the same as remastering. Pearl Jam’s Ten is a new mix. Also see the recent Beatles Super Deluxe editions, where they’ve remixed Pepper, White, and Abbey, and they sound great.

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 09:45:07 PM »
Is there a small chance that some intern accidentally uploaded the original album and named it 'Remastered' ?