September 27, 2024, 04:50:07 PM

Author Topic: Did STP have another rock radio ‘staple’ song in their discography?  (Read 1782 times)

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
Aside from just asking what songs could have been a single...

Is there a song which was never released as a single, that you seriously think it would have connected with mainstream rock radio listeners... or even some of those pop/rock mix stations, where they’d still spin the track here in 2019?

We all can hear Plush, STT, Trippin, ILS, Big Empty, ect... all still play today... what other song could’ve had a chance to stand with those?

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Coma maybe. Thought she'd be mine I think would have done very well.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Coma maybe. Thought she'd be mine I think would have done very well.

I'm disappointed that TSBM was not a radio single. I think it has to do with the difficulty of performing it, as Jeff had mentioned something along this line a while back.

I always thought Pop's Love Suicide was a catchy tune that may have done alright, as well.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
There's long been an argument that Coma and Wonderful would have been better choices for SLDD's singles than Days of the Week and Hollywood Bitch, and I think those songs may have done better in 2001... But since Down and Sour Girl hardly get radio play these days, I don't think anything they released off of No. 4 or SLDD would have the lasting power of their first to albums.

I think that has more to do with how much the music landscape changed in the late0-90s than anything to actually do with the band. I hardly hear anything on the radio that bands like PJ, AiC, and Soundgarden released after '96. I think bands like STP are just pigeonholed into the early 90s unfortunately.

I think the songs that would stand the best shot at being played today would be off of Core and Purple. Sin, maybe, and Piece of Pie. Hell, Dead and Bloated was never released as a single but that gets radio play, so that's an obvious one. I think Silvergun Superman could have been a pretty big hit, and maybe even Kitchenware and Candybars... It has the perfect "quiet/loud" sound for that era, and is a nice moody ballad.

I don't know if anything off of TM besides Trippin' would have any staying power. Trippin's the only real hard rock song, and it's about the only one that really gets radio play. Maybe Seven Caged Tigers could have worked, since it has a heavy Zepp feel and is less poppy than most of the album.

As for the newer albums. I've always though Take A Load off should have been the lead single off of Peace, but obviously Scott's inability to sing it live would shot that down.

As for Butterfly, I think Roll Me Under (and maybe the album) would have done better if it were the lead single... Then maybe Thought She'd Be Mine as the second single for a crossover hit, and then finally Meadow as third single. But that's just speculation.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
Still Remains would have been a great third or final single from Purple

Adhesive as a final single for Tiny...

Sex and Violence as a single instead of No Way Out.  I Got You as final single.

Dumb Love as lead single and Regeneration as the third or final single for SLDD

Dare if you Dare as second single for Peace

Cool Kiss as second single for 12 Bar Blues (If he didn't get arrested) but there's that issue with him stealing/borrowing the chorus from the Girls against Boys song "Click Click". https://youtu.be/rdIOZc_Blu0

He also should have released The Man I Didn't Know to country radio

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
Dumb Love and First Kiss On Mars were lost opportunities for pushing multi-platinum albums, IMHO.

Dumb Love could have let people know that STP were still a hard rock band coming off hiatus after a grammy winning Down.

Later, First Kiss On Mars could've been a great follow-up track after TALO that might've pushed forward on pop and progressive radio, giving them some crossover exposure ala Sour Girl.
Big time lost opportunities for both those albums I think.
Thought She'd Be Mine as the second single for a crossover hit
Absolutely agree with this. Thought She'd Be Mine is one of the closest things to a straight up classic Stone Temple Pilots track on that album. It'd might've had radio legs on the right series of stations.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 04:11:28 AM by IMJ »
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile

Cool thread idea.

Dumb Love or Coma not being the first single off SLDD was by far STP's worst miss as far as a single choice...and I will explain why.

When a band such as STP, and their status even in 2001, releases a first single, it automatically gets push since album is being released. So...if the band or label felt Days of the Week was the strongest single for radio...you keep that one for a later option. Having Dumb Love or Coma being the lead single with "bought" plays would have caught much listener's attention...especially after hard rocking No.4. Instead... Days of the Week most likely turned people on the fence or those on their last straw with STP away from giving SLDD a chance.

It should have been Coma as lead single, then Hollywood Bitch, then Wonderful, then DOTW.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
As mentioned above, "Coma" is probably the biggest missed opportunity.

Also, I don't know who's idea it was to pull "All In The Suit That You Wear" from the Spider-Man soundtrack, but even if Chad Kroeger's "Hero" was selected as the main single, "...Suit..." should've been left on that soundtrack as a potential second single - as the inclusion on a blockbuster the size of Spider-Man would've helped more than it hurt. Instead, a kick-ass song was relegated to a best-of collection during the band's period of inactivity.

By 2010, mainstream rock-music had changed but something about "Huckleberry Crumble" gives me a feeling that it could've caught a steam.

Lastly, with Butterfly - "Thought She'd Be Mine" had the makings of a Sour Girl part 2, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:08:10 PM by Sklashboombash »
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Lead single for SLDD should have been Coma, followed by Too Cool Queenie and/or Hollywood Bitch, then Wonderful, and finally Days of the Week

Days of the Week IS single material. It is catchy as hell. But perhaps as a lead single not the best choice. Maybe second choice.

I guess I am in the minority when it comes to Dumb Love. It's ok. I don't think it stands out. It rocks hard don't get me wrong, but there is nothing to 'cling on' as a single. At least with Coma, you can sing the 'Don't Stay' line and it has a cool opening and what not.

Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Did STP have another rock radio ‘staple’ song in their discography?
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 11:18:35 AM »
I still hear "Sour Girl" at Applebees.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
Re: Did STP have another rock radio ‘staple’ song in their discography?
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 05:42:25 PM »
I still hear "Sour Girl" at Applebees.

This made me actually LOL.....
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015