September 27, 2024, 04:51:15 PM

Author Topic: Should The Reunion Have Never Happened At All?  (Read 5708 times)

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Should The Reunion Have Never Happened At All?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2018, 06:07:58 AM »
Lol!! If you hear anything slightly disappointing when you listen to self titled thats on you n your ego brainwashed bullshit. You cant enjoy some of the most beautiful pieces of art humans have ever created?? Lol, man this place never changes, been away a loong time n yall still the same. Maybe you should go listen to kanye or bieber then.

Yeah I don't know about all that shit. I didn't like S/T outside of TALO. The CD was a drink coaster IMO. If you want to get on some douchebag soapbox over another person's opinion, then maybe you should have stayed away from the site. ALOT of people did not like that album. It means almost nothing...certainly not "ego brainwashed bullshit", whatever the fuck that means.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:37:10 AM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2018, 06:01:57 PM »
As far as Scott's health is concerned, as others have said he was going down the path he was on regardless of whether or not the reunion happened.

As far as the music is concerned, if S/T had never been released then we all would have spent the rest of our lives wishing they made one more album together before Scott passed... I think that would have been far more unbearable than having them release a slightly disappointing album.

Lol!! If you hear anything slightly disappointing when you listen to self titled thats on you n your ego brainwashed bullshit. You cant enjoy some of the most beautiful pieces of art humans have ever created?? Lol, man this place never changes, been away a loong time n yall still the same. Maybe you should go listen to kanye or bieber then.
Self titled was far from high art, man. If you liked it that much, cool, but to say it's some artistic masterpiece is a bit much. It's a collection of songs, some better than others. As for STP and their catalogue, it's among their weakest material, if you ask me. Which is fine. If you disagree, that's also cool. I think we can all agree that they have better material than what's on that record, at least I hope you'd agree with that. If not, you might be beyond reason, lad.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »

S/T is some of the most beautiful art ever created by humans? Even if it were a great album, which in my opinion  it isn't, that would be a ridiculous statement.

One wonders at the mental state of a person who flips out because someone describes an album as "slightly disappointing". Get a fucking grip.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2018, 08:00:14 PM »

Whenever people on websites disagree with me, I get really upset and completely lose it. That being said, I have to go argue with strangers on the Internet now. My generation will be known for forcibly changing people's minds by calling them names and getting really upset.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2018, 10:50:19 PM »
As far as Scott's health is concerned, as others have said he was going down the path he was on regardless of whether or not the reunion happened.

As far as the music is concerned, if S/T had never been released then we all would have spent the rest of our lives wishing they made one more album together before Scott passed... I think that would have been far more unbearable than having them release a slightly disappointing album.

This was a very strange post. First, the depth of your response here isn't matched at all to Blue's comments.  Second, although my feelings on it are that the S/T album is a fine addition to the STP catalog, it was far from being one of the most beautiful pieces of art created by humanity, let alone being at the top of the STP catalog.

It's definitely a better album than some people here give it credit for, but I think valid criticisms are that it lacks track cohesion, and that the production is all over the place. For example, long-time fans can sort of sense that the band was out of place while making the music; and although each song has "STP DNA" all over it (which is a good thing), the album feels like a "compilation of songs" more than an "album".  Also, TALO - a great track, feels like a No. 4 outtake in terms of production (too much vocal distortion and silly loudness boosting), whereas "Between The Lines" was clear and could've been produced during the SLDD era. It's a production mess of an album.

Also, titling that album after the band indicates a creative drought, especially after the mass confusion of the titling of "Purple" (which was actually sold in some markets as "Stone Temple Pilots" - there are even some sealed copies with the seal strip that still say this if you can find them), and then we have the newest album as self-titled. 

And so, between the messy production, the variation of styles across the tracks and the cop-out naming of the album, it could be perceived that these things are all indicators of pumping out a CD for reasons that certainly reduce the record from being "one of the most beautiful pieces of art humans ever created".

It is quite evident in many ways that the death of his brother and his divorce from Mary effectively created a hole that never healed in Scott. With that in mind, did this effectively render him unable to truly perform anymore? With hindsight, should this mean that Robert, Dean and Eric should've gone to Scott and said "Look, you're in no shape for us to get back together. We can't do this again?"

After all, one of the things Scott put out in an interview that year when he began attacking VR for letting him go and saying "we understand each other now," was saying how Dean had to apologize to him over the Tiny Music cancellation and say "I shouldn't have singled you out for your addiction when I was using myself. It was hypocritical and I shouldn't have done it." That in many ways demonstrates how Scott refused to take responsibility for himself or even see the purpose behind what was done. Would it have been better, when Dean was approached about that and prompted to say it, he should instead have gone: "Fuck you, Scott. We did that to save your life, and you still haven't learned anything in more than a decade. So this whole thing is off, get your shit together with Slash and Duff, and leave us alone?"
As for the original topic here. This is the kind of blanket statement questions that I read on the internet and struggle to answer in the way that you asked the question. I'm reminded of a guy on an Indiana Jones forum once asking "Is the Temple of Doom Racist?"
If anything, the reunion could've probably been managed better than the band hopping into bed together for a familiar quickie before getting back to the argument. But either way, I don't think the reunion itself was the catalyst for Weiland's deeper decline. I think eyes can fall more squarely on Weiland himself, but in conjunction with his "enabler" and "coat-tail" riding entourage from around the era that he died.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:11:58 PM by IMJ »
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015