September 27, 2024, 05:00:15 PM

Author Topic: So, Jeff raided Scott’s wardrobe and studied a bunch of classic STP shows...  (Read 5457 times)

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Regardless of it all, in some early interviews I believe he had said that in building himself as a singer he looked up to Scott, so it's really not a huge shock that he may have some same/similar moves.  Combine that with all the other stuff and yea I think it's easy to build the argument against him. 

In trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, I never really saw any pre-STP footage of Jeff besides a few small clips of him solo in bars.  Anyone have footage of his past performances and how he worked the stage/crowd?
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
More video footage of Jeff’s identity crisis, this time during ‘Vasoline’ where he’s even stolen Scott’s “HUBBBA HUBBA” at 0:32 when the song kicks in...

https://youtu.be/8Bx50h-vLYU

Not the HUBBA HUBBA Jeff, leave that alone...

On a side note, check out the security guy nodding his head, must be an STP fan haha.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:49:52 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
Since STP began having their issues and experimenting with other singers (Talk Show, AOA, Chester, and now Jeff) the comparisons started almost over 20 years ago. I am certainly not ignoring the similarities between Jeff and Scott, but perhaps that’s one of the reasons he was chosen.

One of the reasons Jeff works as a replacement is because there absolutely is some Scott in him. It’s a similar look, similar sound, and similar stage presence. If the front man was completely different, people would wonder what was going on. In many ways, Jeff can even be confused with Scott as I have mentioned that I’m sure some people think that is Scott up there performing.

I remember in 1997 when people were actually comparing Dave Coutts to Scott, believing the guy was pretty much a copied and pasted singer. I had people telling me he sounded almost exactly like Scott, and sometimes, I could certainly hear it.

My point is that the comparisons are inevitable. STP could have a black female singer or an Asian 18-year old boy and eventually, we are going to see some Scott in them. I know if I were casted as the new STP singer, inheriting and attempting some of Scott’s moves and mannerisms would happen as a consequence of me watching and listening to him for over 20 years.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Jeff's wearing a leather jacket and aviators? that's like 70% of frontmen.

Come on, it’s more than just the jacket and the shades... His whole image here: Looks, moves and all appear be based on Scott in this clip. An example is at 0:34 when he does the lean back walk forward with the mic in the air, that was classic Scott. Jeff didn’t start out like this with STP either so it’s just weird to see this transformation now. I’d just rather see him being himself again like that first live video of ‘Meadow’ where he was rocking his own look and his own moves. This just makes them look like a tribute act.

I know I’m not the only one seeing Scott in that clip either as tons of fans during the live stream were commenting the same thing, most of those comments however appear to have since been removed (along with the ones about Dean and his ex).

I still think Jeff has a fantastic voice and is the best guy for the job in a world without Scott, I just wish he’d find his own style on stage and stick to it.

I agree with you on his moves. no matter what he wears people will say scott did it first.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Weiland wore everything, and that reminds me mor  of Scott Stapp than Weiland
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 09:33:30 PM by DankoJones »
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
It's a combo of Scott and Chester. I've tried to watch it and I can't get past it cuz for me, you have this band who I would feel would want to get past this whole experience and him continuing to change into this Ken Doll stolen identity, I feel hurts the band more than helps. This band has been shadowed by Scott whether good or bad. They have this great opportunity to finally move forward and being held back because this guy thinks turning into Scott is going to win points or whatever. I find it super creepy & the dancing...omg the dancing is horrible. He has no rhythm whatsoever. Other than his mother, no one could love Scott as much as I do but it's holding the band back. Like that relationship, you think is great but the reality is that person is holding you back from being the great potential you can be. Dean, Robert and Eric deserve so much better. They deserve to be praised but they can't because their frontman is too busy stealing the identity of not one dead man but two dead men. How do you move forward when you are just constantly being reminded why they are in the position they are in now?

It's one thing to carry influences and incorporate them. It's another to blatantly copy someone, unless you are like an Elvis impersonator or a Drag Queen for lack of better words and with that said how can he look at himself at the end of the day and truly say that he made it on his own talent, heart and soul. It brings me to the point of the tv talent show he entered I think twice? He may have the voice but he doesn't have the whole package unless he steals it from a dead guy. It's a fake till you make it move. Which means he hasn't made it yet because if he did, we wouldn't have to read about how much he desperately tries to be someone else. We would have cool conversations about the music. Not about what kind of hack he is & then him passing off how much he loves Scott. I don't buy it. It's just words to justify the true reality that he doesn't have it to make it on his own personality. I think it's safe to say, we are all waiting to see the reason why STP hired him. I have yet to press play on the new album.

It's just so fucking sad. This is a great band and they deserve better. Thanks. I really needed to get this out.   8) :-*
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
It's a combo of Scott and Chester. I've tried to watch it and I can't get past it cuz for me, you have this band who I would feel would want to get past this whole experience and him continuing to change into this Ken Doll stolen identity, I feel hurts the band more than helps. This band has been shadowed by Scott whether good or bad. They have this great opportunity to finally move forward and being held back because this guy thinks turning into Scott is going to win points or whatever. I find it super creepy & the dancing...omg the dancing is horrible. He has no rhythm whatsoever. Other than his mother, no one could love Scott as much as I do but it's holding the band back. Like that relationship, you think is great but the reality is that person is holding you back from being the great potential you can be. Dean, Robert and Eric deserve so much better. They deserve to be praised but they can't because their frontman is too busy stealing the identity of not one dead man but two dead men. How do you move forward when you are just constantly being reminded why they are in the position they are in now?

It's one thing to carry influences and incorporate them. It's another to blatantly copy someone, unless you are like an Elvis impersonator or a Drag Queen for lack of better words and with that said how can he look at himself at the end of the day and truly say that he made it on his own talent, heart and soul. It brings me to the point of the tv talent show he entered I think twice? He may have the voice but he doesn't have the whole package unless he steals it from a dead guy. It's a fake till you make it move. Which means he hasn't made it yet because if he did, we wouldn't have to read about how much he desperately tries to be someone else. We would have cool conversations about the music. Not about what kind of hack he is & then him passing off how much he loves Scott. I don't buy it. It's just words to justify the true reality that he doesn't have it to make it on his own personality. I think it's safe to say, we are all waiting to see the reason why STP hired him. I have yet to press play on the new album.

It's just so fucking sad. This is a great band and they deserve better. Thanks. I really needed to get this out.   8) :-*

"I think it's safe to say, we are all waiting to see the reason why STP hired him. I have yet to press play on the new album."

Can't end this thread on a negative post. The true fans who are already on board the Jeff ship and let go of the "No Scott, No STP" stigma many many months or even years ago are already looking ahead. We are not looking back. Only ahead. What done is done etc. You are not in the band etc. You get the point. WE as STP fans know why and its CLEAR as day why they hired him. An amazing voice to say the least, to be able to sing the back catalog and to be able to move the band forward. Dozens of other reasons why this guy is great for the band. The rest of the STP guys have explained countless times why Jeff is great for the band so if you don't know by now, probably not one of the true STP fans. They are selling out too. They just received an award for selling out at Red Rocks. Lots of positive things are happening right now to the band and they are not going to let any negativity in. It's great seeing them being able to go out and tour again! Those guys are happy and we should be happy for them! Nuff said. Cheers!

8-)

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
^ Totally right.

Jeff's fine. Anybody thinking these guys were going to find another genuine original like Scott and reinvent the wheel, is deluded.

A guy who suits the Deleos' songwriting style and will let them knock out a few more relatively unchallenging pop albums and do some touring was the best we could ever hope for. That's what we got. I'm just glad they are enjoying themselves. The album is solid, at least they sound like they mean it again, I'd take it over another 5 ST10's.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:14:05 AM by Pingfah »

WastedGo

• Ground Personnel
  • Smoke tracks, mud flaps
    • View Profile
^ Totally right.

Jeff's fine. Anybody thinking these guys were going to find another genuine original like Scott and reinvent the wheel, is deluded.

A guy who suits the Deleos' songwriting style and will let them knock out a few more relatively unchallenging pop albums and do some touring was the best we could ever hope for. That's what we got. I'm just glad they are enjoying themselves. The album is solid, at least they sound like they mean it again, I'd take it over another 5 ST10's.

No hope that maybe their chemistry with Jeff will improve or something and we'll get an actually good album? Yeah probably not, but I hate how mediocre they are now

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
As far as I am concerned, we did get a good album. It's silly to expect to get something of the immediacy or brilliance of Purple or TM out of these guys, they aren't kids, and this isn't the 90s.

They made a cracking rock album, it holds it's own with anything their contemporaries are still putting out. Kicks the balls off any Pearl Jam album from the last decade.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
As far as I am concerned, we did get a good album. It's silly to expect to get something of the immediacy or brilliance of Purple or TM out of these guys, they aren't kids, and this isn't the 90s.

They made a cracking rock album, it holds it's own with anything their contemporaries are still putting out. Kicks the balls off any Pearl Jam album from the last decade.

I agree with this.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Also agree

Just look at the band they're touring with, Bush.  There latest album was simply bad, making Butterfly look like a classic compared to it.

And folks have to realize that they're past their prime and just won't be able to write the gems they used to
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Also agree

Just look at the band they're touring with, Bush.  There latest album was simply bad, making Butterfly look like a classic compared to it.

And folks have to realize that they're past their prime and just won't be able to write the gems they used to
I wasn't crazy about the last Bush album, but I really liked the first two post-reunion albums. I enjoyed STP last month, but felt that Bush put on the best show of the three headliners.