June 26, 2024, 10:03:31 AM

Author Topic: Are We Allowed to Talk About Dean Deleo Yet?  (Read 4378 times)

WastedGo

• Ground Personnel
  • Smoke tracks, mud flaps
    • View Profile
Re: Are We Allowed to Talk About Dean Deleo Yet?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 06:14:10 AM »
It's understandable why some people care, after all it's a pretty awful thing to hear about someone you like/look up to. It is his business but we're all just here to discuss our irrelevant opinions aren't we

4Core

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 03:41:47 PM »
Good god. Why do you people care? Just move on with your life and let him deal with his. Just enjoy the music (or not) and get a life. This isn't TMZ.com

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 07:24:37 PM »
I understand this is 2018 and everyone these days wants the headlines and many would love to see a dirt slinging war in the media, but I don't think 'this crushed the band' and I don't think we will (or need to) hear a response from Dean. It's his business to decide to respond to whatever gets thrown out there.
Exactly!  Plus, doesn't this NOW read like 2 jerks trying to squeeze money from blowing this story up on the internet?   

"I have pictures, I can prove it!"  Oh yeah?  Sounds like someone was looking for TMZ or something to pay for them.  They just forgot that Dean is the guitarist from a rock band.  First off, how many people know STP?  Second, how many people know the MEMBERS of STP? 

And I'm absolutely not looking to victim-shame here, but it's still none of our business.  If she had a case, she'd have a case.  She wouldn't be trying to make Dean guilty on the internet, she'd do it through the courts/police. 

And regardless of her actions, it seems like the other dude involved here is just a giant assface looking for attention.  Fuck him 100%. 

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 12:02:08 AM »
I don't know. Maybe this impacts us so hard because the band is such a big part of our lives. Johnny Depp had similar claims levied against him in his divorce, and I had no issue watching Pirates of the Caribbean on TV the other day... But I can't bring myself to listen to STP anymore.

As someone who has known way too many victims of domestic abuse, the possibility that I've been such a fan of someone who may have done the things described is disgusts me. Dean's the reason I learned to play guitar... Now it's possible that he is an absolutely despicable human being. It makes me sick to my stomach.

As I've said before, whether these allegations are true or not is irrelevant to Dean's position in the band. If getting in a fistfight with Rob, as has been alleged, didn't get him fired than a minor public scandal won't. Dean's much less a celebrity than Johnny Depp, and Depp's still out their playing with Hollywood Vampires and filming Harry Potter prequels. The only thing that would get Dean fired would be if he were actually arrested.

So no, I guess this won't affect the band's legacy. But for me it killed my passion for the band. Maybe in the long run I can forgive and/or forget, but for I'm just dreadfully disappointed.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 02:38:07 AM »
The propensity for some people to cry "off with their heads" in an immediate play for social justice in these and similar situations fascinates me. 

When I witness people scream for firings or social retribution (basically modified Salem Witch Hunt behavior) I can't help but think how they'd back track when coming off of some social mistake in their own life.  This is basically why I think it's so great when these social equalizers have their bravado reflected back on themselves. We've been seeing a lot of this from the Hollywood mouth-breathers lately, and even still these people are unable to come out of their own circumplexic cycles of thought.
No. Dean shouldn't be fired from his band just to serve any other individuals fit of foolishness for social justice. If anything, the free market can command the direction so that anyone who feels so strongly informed about the situation can choose not to financially support the band anymore.
So no, I guess this won't affect the band's legacy. But for me it killed my passion for the band. Maybe in the long run I can forgive and/or forget, but for I'm just dreadfully disappointed.

And Blue, regarding your post, yeah I know how you feel - that sort of wind out of the sails feeling, like you just sort of want to wave your hand the at hobby of this band, and at this point sort of exhale while muttering, "meh".
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:43:04 AM by IMJ »
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 04:54:26 AM »
Seems like some people feel one way about this and others feel completely differently. Me personally, i have no plans to stop listening to them or going to see them based on allegations alone. Seems like there are tons of allegations these days and many of them unproven or even making it to court.

A woman recently accused Maynard from Tool of raping her when she was 17. Do i stop listening to them now because it could be true? Its important to wait for truth if we end up receiving it. Otherwise, walking out on a person that may have done nothing wrong makes that person suffer and will give permission to a lot of spiteful people who will attempt to ruin the lives of others and they will succeed as they are easily believed based on possibility alone.

I understand the initial reaction, but accusations and possibilities do not equal a guilty verdict.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »
Just would like to cosign a lot of the reasonable thoughts in this thread, and to say that I hope the band addresses it rather than just continue forward with radio silence. But I've been meaning to add that Joe Perry's kid throwing in the #STPSUCKSANYWAY! hashtag irked me. If you are trying to send a serious message about a serious issue, throwing a childish opinion about the band's music itself doesn't really add much substance.

Agreed. Even if all that happens is Dean says "I'll wait to comment until after the trial" or something. Pretending it didn't happen is weird. And yeah, #STPSUCKSANYWAY... ??? Really? I wonder how that has affected Robert and Joes relationship.

There isn't going to be a proper trial, no criminal complaint has been made against Dean, these are allegations made in a filing for a divorce. She is the one requesting a divorce, so if she wants a proper settlement she has to demonstrate that she has reasonable grounds for requesting it, not just because she doesn't like him any more. This will probably be settled  before it gets anywhere near what could be considered a trial.

Anybody expecting Dean to make a statement on this in the middle of a divorce is dreaming.

That's not any sort of judgment on whether it is true or not, just stating the facts. If she wanted Dean to pay any other way than financially, she would have to file charges against him. And I would bet any settlement will include an agreement not to discuss the settlement. So basically, anybody waiting to find out if this is true, will be waiting a long time. The statements she has already made will probably be the last we hear about it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:13:14 PM by Pingfah »