September 27, 2024, 05:46:20 PM

Author Topic: NEW ALBUM  (Read 63003 times)

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: NEW ALBUM
« Reply #420 on: March 27, 2018, 04:57:11 PM »
I've been digesting this album and wanted to wait awhile before posting anything.  Its been fun reading everyone's opinions. 

Rating STP's records against themselves only (not against other bands), to me Core is an 8 of 10, Purple - 9, Tiny Music is a 10, No. 4 - 7, SLDD - 8.  I'd give "Butterfly" a 7/10.  Overall I think this is a pretty solid and consistent effort. No.4 has higher highs than Butterfly but it also has lower lows (IMO).

As for the highs I think Middle of Nowhere, Meadow, Six Eight, Thought She'd Be Mine, and Finest Hour are standout tracks.  Lots of good stuff there and it covers a pretty great sonic landscape.  Most of the rest of the songs are at least solid.  Only song I'm not really into is Reds & Blues.  I like both Best Buy cuts better than that one (especially Already Gone). 

As for the lows/missed opportunities- I personally think the mixing is only fair.  Brendan's absence still is just as obvious to me as Scott's.  The EQ is off in many places.  Some songs Jeff is too low in the mix, sometimes I think the guitars could be louder.  I think the Deleo's do an alright job, but I do think they need that 5th member to reign them in at times and to challenge them to think of things in a different way.  For example, I think Dean uses the wrong guitar tone on several tracks.  His playing is great, but his amp/guitar/pedal selection is off. Its most obvious to me on Middle of Nowhere.  Great track (definitely hear the comparisons to Suckertrain Blues), but Dean's tone on this track is just a bit to nasally.  It would be better (in my opinion) on this track if the guitar was opened up a bit more and with a little more edge.  Other tracks where I think the solo should have a more soaring tone Dean again goes with a more of a compressed overdrive.  I get that this is kind of "Dean's tone" but it wasn't always, at least not on the albums.  I think more diverse guitar tones throughout the record would elevate it a bit.  Eric's drums still sound kind of compressed/lifeless to me on a few tracks, but overall I think he definitely mixed his style up a bit here, which I think is great.  Robert, as always is fantastic.

As for Gutt, I would consider my self a "supporter" I think he is THE BEST fit for this band in a Weiland-less world.  That said, Gutt's lyrics aren't as strong overall and are definitely a bit more on the nose and less metaphorical.  To his credit, he does well overall (especially for a first outing) and I do think he will continue to grow as a lyricist.  Scott definitely did. If you compare Scott's Core lyrics to what he did later on the difference is amazing.  What I miss most from Scott are his bridges (which were usually excellent) and more extensive vocal harmonies.  There are a lot of people that don't like multi-track vocal harmonies by the same singer since it doesnt translate as well to live, but this was something Scott did well on STP's records.  For example, the "ahhs" at the end of the bridge in Glide, or the harmonies in the chorus in Hello It's Late, or the harmonies on the word "love" in Adhesive; these are areas that Scott owned like few other singers.  Scott still found ways to make songs sound amazing live even with less vocal harmonies (and yes I realize that the three tracks I just mentioned were not really performed live by classic STP).  By comparison, Jeff uses harmonies fairly sparingly and when they are there, the mix is a bit to low to make them impactful.  Overall, this absence makes Jeff's vocals less enjoyable than Scott's to me. 

Still, I can definitely get behind this incarnation of the band.  Its a great effort overall and STP is clearly on fire live right now.  I hope the boys continue to light things up and I have high hopes for the next album we get from them. 

Aaron we would have the most boring debates cause I would just agree with everything you say. Thanks for the detail here, you're a true student of STP and you do a great job verbalizing what you hear. It's a gift man! What really rings true for me is what you said about Middle of Nowhere. The tone feels paper thin and with a riff like that you want thick crunch, not a drunk weasel. LOL. The one thing about that song - though - is Jeff saying "there's a right way, wrong way, and then there's my way". Tons of respect for opening the album with those lyrics. Pretty ballsy. He's going to do shit his way. I like the rock attitude that gives off to start the album given what he's stepping into.

Guilty and Just a Little Lie in particular are just vintage Dean riffs, playing, layers, and tone. Nasty, nasty guitar songs. As far as my favorite Dean moments, those two songs really shine for me. The instrumental bridge on Guilty is just filthy. There's a lot of space to breathe on the verses of JALL and Robert drops the bottom out of that song. Goddamn this band is so mind blowingly good sometimes. The signature Dean part at the end of the chorus "for hereee" is one of my favorite parts of the album.

The scaly riff on Six Eight during that heavy part is a bummer for me. Cool tone, lame riff. Too bad cause the rest of that song is super cool sonically.

I wish the guitars were a little higher in the mix on Roll Me Under during the verse. But holy shit that song rocks too. I'm kinda bummed that came out early. I hate evaluating songs early apart from the album. I wish I could digest this all together. I can't even hear Meadow as part of the album yet because I listened to it too much as a single.

Finest Hour is pretty perfect musically. One of the better mixed songs on the album imo.

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 27, 2018, 05:30:58 PM »
Has anybody else noticed that annoying fuzzy sound during the choruses of Roll Me Under? Kind of annoying and puts me off from listening to it. I've only noticed it in my car, not so much through headphones.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 27, 2018, 08:02:02 PM »
Has anybody else noticed that annoying fuzzy sound during the choruses of Roll Me Under? Kind of annoying and puts me off from listening to it. I've only noticed it in my car, not so much through headphones.

I definitely hear it. I think it's pretty agreed upon that this album would be a different animal with Brendan at the helm - most certainly sonically, at the very least.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 27, 2018, 08:02:32 PM »
PS. It landed on the Billboard charts at #24 - for whatever that's worth these days.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 27, 2018, 08:07:06 PM »
It's in the whole track to a certain degree.  It's an effect on the main heavy guitar track.  I'm not quite sure why.  I also find it a bit annoying. 

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 27, 2018, 08:19:35 PM »
It's in the whole track to a certain degree.  It's an effect on the main heavy guitar track.  I'm not quite sure why.  I also find it a bit annoying. 

It doesn't bother me enough to ruin the track for me. But yes, it's like a buzzy frequency over-tone on the guitar. It's almost like a maxed out Big Muff running alongside the guitar distortion.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 27, 2018, 09:11:42 PM »
First, the bad. I don't know what they were thinking with the production. I'm a guitar player. I know the faintest bit about sound, but for those that know a lot, I basically know nothing. But man it sounds muddied up and under water. Listening back to High Rise, while it doesn't have the individual character that each of the first three records had, at least it sounds crisp and clear with better separation of the frequencies. Even Kretz's cymbals sound a bit lifeless without the crispness of the high end I am used to. Maybe it's something totally different, but it doesn't sound great.
I didn't understand these comments until over the weekend.  My friend was complaining about it being muddy.  So I asked him to give me his earbuds and it sounded like a bucket of ass.  I've only listened to this album with studio monitors, studio headphones, and in my car (which is nothing special, at all).  It's very good on my monitors, great on my headphones, and perfectly fine in my car (though I'm less concerned about detailed intricacies of music while I'm blasting down a highway).  I think it's a density problem.  These tunes are packed with layers. 

For me, I think it sounds pretty great!  Especially in headphones!  There's a lot of intricate work done with the stereo field.  The only thing on this album that baffles me is Eric's snare drum.  Mystifying.  There's no treble. 

So, for the people who all think the album sounds muddy, what are you listening on?  What device and/or what speakers? 

Mostly in my 2017 Honda Pilot. In that car, it's unmistakable that Rob's bass is a beast in a way it isn't on the other records. I'm no audiophile, but one complaint about my car is the audio system, which sounds pretty good to me. HOWEVER, one thing I notice that others have noticed is that no matter how high or low the subwoofer is, it seems to make no difference.

So something like Roll Me Under sounds like this mid-rangey wall of noise as opposed to say, Dumb Love, where everything seems to have its own sonic space. And I actually don't mind Rob's bass being so up front as long as it serves a purpose. Take Black Heart. His bass is really up front, but it's to add bottom end to Dean's tonal choice.

I hate ear buds. I don't think they sound good, I think they are uncomfortable, and I don't know how people keep them in their ears.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 27, 2018, 09:22:11 PM »
Aaron we would have the most boring debates cause I would just agree with everything you say.

Oh man totally, I dont even post half the time because you've already said what I was going to say! LOL.  Sometime we'll have to get a beer and just affirm to eachother that our opinions on STP are the right ones ;)

You have some great things to say on the album, and I totally agree.  Some of my comments are nitpicking, but overall my impression of this record is that it does a lot right, but that some minor tweaks to songs here and there would really set them off.  The guitar on Middle of Nowhere is definitely the biggest offender to me... it just doesnt work as well as it could (IMO), but I say that in the context that its still one of my favorites on the album.  I'd like to see this album performed live in its entirety, because I really think it would be better in a live setting than with some of the production/mix choices.  Also, major props to you on the Gutt lyrics for Middle of Nowhere.  Somehow I never really put 2 and 2 together on that meaning and its kind of blowing my mind right now.  Totally ballsy.  I certainly respect Jeff's position. He knows that he will never be able to please many fans, so he's just going to do things his way.  Love that.   100% with you on your comments on the other songs too.  You're dead-on. 

Also, I am totally with you on the problem of being able to view certain songs within the context of the album.  I am still struggling with that on all 4 tracks that were pre-released.  I wish I hadn't listened to any of the tracks other than Meadow.  I think on the next STP release I will try that.  I really enjoy soaking in an album as a whole. 

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 27, 2018, 11:29:44 PM »
It doesn't bother me enough to ruin the track for me. But yes, it's like a buzzy frequency over-tone on the guitar. It's almost like a maxed out Big Muff running alongside the guitar distortion.
Yeah.  And I'm not too mad at it.  It's just a little puzzling. 

It's like "We need to do something to make the tune more modern!"  "Hey, I know!  Add this gross-ass buzzing thing to the guitar sound!"  "Whoa!  So 2018!" 

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 28, 2018, 02:03:18 AM »
I thought that the album sounds good--warm, not brickwalled.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 28, 2018, 02:10:45 AM »
So I was listening to the album again, what a surprise right?  Anyways, as I listened to Just a Little Lie, I think it's about Jeff's intro to the band.

Step inside the maiden ride

Patronize and criticize, and welcome to the scene.

It's the only way to go from here

Some may run and some may hide, but that's alright with me.

All these lines seemingly are him saying, here I am, let's get going, jump aboard or don't, but this is who we are now
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Crush85

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 07, 2018, 08:22:09 PM »

I enjoy this album. Even though half the songs aren't that memorable, I rate this above STP (2010).
My only real complaint is the mix. The recording sounds muddy, not clean at all.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 11, 2018, 09:23:26 PM »
Okay so I finally thought I’d post a review of sorts of the album. I wanted to wait a while to see if certain songs grew on me but also to see if some would lose their initial appeal. I felt now was a good time to listen to it through and post some thoughts.

01. Middle of Nowhere 2/5 - I just can’t really get into this one, as others have stated it kinda sounds like a poor man’s ‘Sucker Train Blues’ and I really don’t like the sudden start/stop riff just before the “There’s a right way...”, it just irks me. ‘Dumb Love’ this is not. In fact as far as STP openers go I’d even rate ‘Between The Lines’ higher than this.

02. Guilty 2.5/5 - I dig the groovy bass line but the song overall just bores me, it’s not breaking any new ground, it’s not terrible, I’d file it under ‘slightly below average’ STP tracks like many of the songs from the first S/T.

03. Meadow 4.5/5 - After the first 2 rather lacklustre tracks STP deliver exactly what I would’ve I’d expect from them. A catchy alternative tune and great choice for first single. I still love blasting this one and it’s definitely my fav rocker on the disc.

04. Just a Little Lie 3/5 - It’s different I’ll give it that. The riff is kinda awkward but the song turns out to be okay and I like it’s uniqueness. The solo is crazy! Not going to be an STP ‘classic’ for me though.

05. Six Eight 4/5 - I really like this one. When the opening riff kicked in I was expecting a rather straightforward rocker but was pleasantly surprised with where Jeff and the band took this one, especially in the verses and pre chorus. The solo is one of my favs on the album too, classic Dean.

06. Thought She’d Be Mine 4/5 - If I were to rate this on music alone it would be a straight 5, it’s beautiful. For me the lyrics let it down slightly though, they’re pretty straightforward compared to some of the stuff Scott would write to something like this (in his prime). ‘Thought She’d Be Mine’ is repeated a little too much but it’s still a really good song.

07. Roll Me Under 3/5 - The first time I heard this song it was like a 1.5 or 2 for me but it has grown on me with repeated listens and sounds pretty cool cranked up loud. Again, nothing groundbreaking but not bad at all.

08. Never Enough 3/5 - Yeah this ones a bit all over the place, I really like the ‘Oh it’s never enough’ part but not so much the part that comes after it which reminds me of Billy Joe from Green Day with the whole ‘put away your anarchy’ etc. The verses are fine, kinda remind me of ‘Blaster’ era Scott as others have mentioned.

09. The Art of Letting Go 5/5 - This song is the jewel in the crown for me. Full marks because there is literally nothing I can fault with it. Jeff’s lyrics and vocals are superb, love what he did here and of course the music is beautiful. A true STP classic right here. If I listened to this after losing someone I would 100% be brought to tears.

10. Finest Hour 4/5 - The perfect song to follow up with after ‘The Art...’ almost like a part 2 in terms of lyrical content but obviously in a different musical direction to its predecessor. Another strong track.

11. Good Shoes 3/5 - Not a lot to say about this one. I don’t love it but I certainly don’t dislike it either. I quite enjoy some of the riffs on it (especially right before the solo) even if it’s not an amazing song overall.

12. Reds & Blues 4.5/5 - I might be the only one here who would rate this slightly above ‘Thought She’d Be Mine’. It’s so mellow and I like that Jeff’s lyrics here are somewhat mysterious and possibly metaphorical, reminds me of something Scott would’ve written. Verse, Bridge and chorus are all solid and merge into each other perfectly. I love this song! I’d probably have chosen a slightly shorter outro solo though just to squeeze that chorus in another time right at the end.

13. Already Gone 3.5/5 - For a bonus track/B Side this is pretty good! I’d take this over a few cuts that made the actual album. That chorus is pretty catchy. In fairness this would probably be a single for many current bands.

14. Forget Forever 2/5 - Okay this one sounds like a B Side/leftover to me. I definitely hear the similarities to both ‘Lazy Eye’ by Silversun Pickups and ‘First Kiss On Mars’, except those 2 are much stronger songs than this which is just very bland and forgettable in my opinion.

Overall this album is without a doubt a worthy addition to the STP catalogue and I’m glad they chose Jeff to make it with (since Scott is sadly no longer an option). There’s a few weak tracks sure (surprisingly the 2 opening tracks seem the weakest) but the strong ones more than make up for it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:25:33 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 12, 2018, 02:26:39 PM »
08. Never Enough 3/5 - Yeah this ones a bit all over the place, I really like the ‘Oh it’s never enough’ part but not so much the part that comes after it which reminds me of Billy Joe from Green Day with the whole ‘put away your anarchy’ etc.
I TOTALLY have heard Billy Joe on that line too. 

Great thoughts on the album, I agree with you.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 12, 2018, 02:50:11 PM »
I cringe every time I hear the intro to "Meadow".

Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."