September 27, 2024, 05:43:08 PM

Author Topic: NEW ALBUM  (Read 63001 times)

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: NEW ALBUM
« Reply #390 on: March 21, 2018, 05:28:24 AM »
Picked up the CD at Best Buy (havent done that in YEARS lol) and like many others, I'm really digging these bonus tracks! Pretty surprised at how good these songs sound upon hearing them myself...Already Gone could easily be a single in my opinion. Not sure why it wasnt included on the regular release, but it could still easily be released...these days with streaming, bands just wide release any song they want anytime.

Forget Forever is solid too. I totally feel the similarities to First Kiss On Mars and Lazy Eye by Silversun Pickups that loungefly611 (and someone else! couldnt find the post again) pointed out.
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 21, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »
I just got the BB exclusive from UK Ebay, £18 delivered from the USA with no more import charges, not bad really.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 21, 2018, 08:26:13 PM »
I just got the BB exclusive from UK Ebay, £18 delivered from the USA with no more import charges, not bad really.

That's not bad, I'm trying to find something reasonable I can ship to Canada
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

nakedninja21

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 22, 2018, 12:14:51 AM »
After multiple listens in my car over the weekend, I have a few thoughts....

Absolutely LOVE Middle to Nowhere! Definitely a Sucker Train Blues feel to it. LOVE Dean's solo! Dare I say my favorite STP album opener since Down.

Not really feeling Guilty or Just a Little Lie at the moment. But I DO like Six Eight. Jeff really stands on out this one, and I think it would be KILLER live!

It seems like the overwhelming majority feels that Thought She'd Be Mine is one of the stand out tracks, and I agree.

I admit, I only listened to Roll Me Under and Never Enough once or twice on Spotify. They sounded good, but nothing stuck. MUCH DIFFERENT experience in the car! Roll Me Under is a great rocker, and I love the swagger on Never Enough. These two tracks could have easily been tracks one and two on this album, but I'm fine with their placement.

When you get goosebumps from hearing a song, you know that it's something special. The Art of Letting Go gives me chills.

Finest Hour is a nice tribute to the fallen STP brothers. Good Shoes is a solid track, and I LOVE hearing Dean let loose on Red & Blues.

As far as the bonus cuts go, Forget Forever is VERY catchy. It partly reminds me of Silversun Pickups 'Lazy Eye.' Absolutely LOVE this track!

So initial reactions are definitely positive. Dig it more than High Rise. At the moment, I rank it higher then the first s/t.

Does anyone else think that the album could be flip flopped? Swap tracks 1-6 for 7-12? Start the album with Roll Me Under and close with Thought She'd Be Mine? Overall, I think the second half is stronger than the first half of the album.

I got the same vibe on Forget Forever. Glad I’m not crazy. Silversun vibe all the way. Kinda bright and fuzzy sound to it.....if that makes sense
Pleased to meet you, nice to know me...

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 22, 2018, 01:13:39 AM »
I thought Dean really brought it on the entire record. Most inspired he has sounded in years.
I agree with this. 

I also think this is Rob's best album to date in terms of bass playing.  He's a machine on this album. 

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 22, 2018, 07:23:25 AM »
Very good album. Liked all the singles, but they, and the rest of the album have grown on me with repeated listens.

Immunize

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 22, 2018, 01:17:32 PM »
It's a grower!

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 22, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »
Some random musings

Wished "Red & Blues" would do the ole fade in after the music trails off.

"Just a Little Lie" has a "Sin" vibe going on to me.

steven28174

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 22, 2018, 04:57:04 PM »
I love STP. These guys are amazing and Gutt can really sing. I'll spend some additional time with the album in the coming weeks. That said, I am underwhelmed/disappointed. It is a solid rock album with a few tracks that stand out (in my opinion). Maybe it will grow on me. I'm happy these guys are out rocking & releasing music and hope they find success with this new incarnation. I'll continue to follow their careers closely. Happy to see most here are enjoying the new music.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #399 on: March 22, 2018, 07:20:37 PM »
After multiple listens in my car over the weekend, I have a few thoughts....

Absolutely LOVE Middle to Nowhere! Definitely a Sucker Train Blues feel to it. LOVE Dean's solo! Dare I say my favorite STP album opener since Down.

Not really feeling Guilty or Just a Little Lie at the moment. But I DO like Six Eight. Jeff really stands on out this one, and I think it would be KILLER live!

It seems like the overwhelming majority feels that Thought She'd Be Mine is one of the stand out tracks, and I agree.

I admit, I only listened to Roll Me Under and Never Enough once or twice on Spotify. They sounded good, but nothing stuck. MUCH DIFFERENT experience in the car! Roll Me Under is a great rocker, and I love the swagger on Never Enough. These two tracks could have easily been tracks one and two on this album, but I'm fine with their placement.

When you get goosebumps from hearing a song, you know that it's something special. The Art of Letting Go gives me chills.

Finest Hour is a nice tribute to the fallen STP brothers. Good Shoes is a solid track, and I LOVE hearing Dean let loose on Red & Blues.

As far as the bonus cuts go, Forget Forever is VERY catchy. It partly reminds me of Silversun Pickups 'Lazy Eye.' Absolutely LOVE this track!

So initial reactions are definitely positive. Dig it more than High Rise. At the moment, I rank it higher then the first s/t.

Does anyone else think that the album could be flip flopped? Swap tracks 1-6 for 7-12? Start the album with Roll Me Under and close with Thought She'd Be Mine? Overall, I think the second half is stronger than the first half of the album.

I got the same vibe on Forget Forever. Glad I’m not crazy. Silversun vibe all the way. Kinda bright and fuzzy sound to it.....if that makes sense

Absolutely makes sense!
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 23, 2018, 11:44:12 PM »
I posted a little bit of a nutty thing to the audio board for those that are interested in this kind of craziness.  Be sure to read the post, please! 

https://www.belowempty.com/forum/index.php?topic=11671.0 

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 24, 2018, 10:48:15 PM »
"Reds & Blues" reminds me so much of "This wasn't supposed to Happen" of AOA

Yanks241

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 25, 2018, 03:19:18 AM »
I don't post often but I've been a fan since Core came out when I was about 13 years old.  I really fell in love with the band when SLDD came out and I finally saw them live in 2001 and 2002.  Anyway, I'm happy the guys found Jeff and can continue with a guy like him that can do justice by the band.  I think he fits in much better than Chester (RIP).

Overall though I think the new album is just OK.  I get the same vibe musically that I got with 2010 the album.  I thought Meadow was pretty good since I first heard it.  And I love Art Of Letting Go.  Sounds like a classic STP ballad and reminds me of Scott.  Maybe it's the Deleos getting older, not having Brendan produce, or not having Scott around (in 2010's case, not having an up to par Scott), but I just don't love a lot of the music they've brought.  I miss that heavy sound that Core & Silvergun Superman, Meatplow, Down, Heaven and Hotrods, No Way Out, Dumb Love, Coma, Long Way Home have.  Even All In The Suit has it.  Both self-titleds & High Rise are  missing it.  The slower songs on the album are the bright spots to me though (Red & Blues and Thought She'd Be Mine).

I know it's been well documented that Scott wasn't in the same room as the band & that plus no Brendan are big reasons why 2010 album wasn't on par with the other 5 albums, but Scott was able elevate some of the songs.  To me Between The Lines, Take a Load Off, Dare if you Dare, Peacoat, First Kiss On Mars, and Maver are solid/classic sounding STP songs.

Maybe as the guys and Jeff accumulate more time writing and playing together, Jeff will be more comfortable writing or bringing song ideas to the band.  I'm hoping he can push the guys to write some heavier sounding songs.

edit-I need to check out the bonus songs, maybe we have some harder rocking songs there.

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 25, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »
I don't post often but I've been a fan since Core came out when I was about 13 years old.  I really fell in love with the band when SLDD came out and I finally saw them live in 2001 and 2002.  Anyway, I'm happy the guys found Jeff and can continue with a guy like him that can do justice by the band.  I think he fits in much better than Chester (RIP).

Overall though I think the new album is just OK.  I get the same vibe musically that I got with 2010 the album.  I thought Meadow was pretty good since I first heard it.  And I love Art Of Letting Go.  Sounds like a classic STP ballad and reminds me of Scott.  Maybe it's the Deleos getting older, not having Brendan produce, or not having Scott around (in 2010's case, not having an up to par Scott), but I just don't love a lot of the music they've brought.  I miss that heavy sound that Core & Silvergun Superman, Meatplow, Down, Heaven and Hotrods, No Way Out, Dumb Love, Coma, Long Way Home have.  Even All In The Suit has it.  Both self-titleds & High Rise are  missing it.  The slower songs on the album are the bright spots to me though (Red & Blues and Thought She'd Be Mine).

I know it's been well documented that Scott wasn't in the same room as the band & that plus no Brendan are big reasons why 2010 album wasn't on par with the other 5 albums, but Scott was able elevate some of the songs.  To me Between The Lines, Take a Load Off, Dare if you Dare, Peacoat, First Kiss On Mars, and Maver are solid/classic sounding STP songs.

Maybe as the guys and Jeff accumulate more time writing and playing together, Jeff will be more comfortable writing or bringing song ideas to the band.  I'm hoping he can push the guys to write some heavier sounding songs.

edit-I need to check out the bonus songs, maybe we have some harder rocking songs there.
You think half of the songs on Self-titled 2010 were classics!? Dear lord...
I had the midwife naked and alone

Immunize

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 25, 2018, 01:27:59 PM »
It gets better with every listen!