September 27, 2024, 05:49:12 PM

Author Topic: NEW ALBUM  (Read 63006 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: NEW ALBUM
« Reply #345 on: March 17, 2018, 09:36:41 PM »
I’m just listening to the 2 Best Buy bonus songs now. They’re not bad but I can see why they were relegated to bonus tracks, they’re not particularly memorable.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Immunize

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 18, 2018, 12:03:19 AM »
Never Enough is great.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 18, 2018, 04:30:05 AM »
Guys, the more I listen to it, the more I love the new album! My biggest problem with the Peace Album was that their hearts weren't in it. Their hearts are back in it for this one. It's a really solid effort front-to-back. Honestly, I don't feel like any of the songs are filler, which is more than I can even say for some songs off earlier albums (Art School Girlfriend, MC5). Again, the Butterfly Album doesn't have any one song that stands head and shoulders above the rest, but all of the songs are just masterfully crafted, and the album as a whole is just very pleasurable to listen to. It feels good to listen to.

Plushman

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 18, 2018, 04:56:44 AM »
Guys, the more I listen to it, the more I love the new album! My biggest problem with the Peace Album was that their hearts weren't in it. Their hearts are back in it for this one. It's a really solid effort front-to-back. Honestly, I don't feel like any of the songs are filler, which is more than I can even say for some songs off earlier albums (Art School Girlfriend, MC5). Again, the Butterfly Album doesn't have any one song that stands head and shoulders above the rest, but all of the songs are just masterfully crafted, and the album as a whole is just very pleasurable to listen to. It feels good to listen to.

Art School Girlfriend is not a filler!!! You may not like it, but that doesn't make it a bad song.

The ending with Dean soloing over the crunching, chaotic riff is freaking beautiful....as someone said in a youtube post...."This song is QOTSA before QOTSA existed"

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 18, 2018, 05:12:58 AM »
A Happy Saint Patrick's Day, Indeed!

If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 18, 2018, 05:20:33 AM »
Guinness in a can is like STP without Scott, not as good ;)
A Happy Saint Patrick's Day, Indeed!

"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 18, 2018, 05:22:43 AM »

Art School Girlfriend is not a filler!!! You may not like it, but that doesn't make it a bad song.

The ending with Dean soloing over the crunching, chaotic riff is freaking beautiful....as someone said in a youtube post...."This song is QOTSA before QOTSA existed"

Kudos
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 18, 2018, 05:24:43 AM »

Good point. It feels good because these four are a band; not three guys and a lead singer who records his vocals elsewhere. It’s a great album which is not easy to accomplish in a streaming industry.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 18, 2018, 05:41:52 AM »

"Filler" doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad song; it just means the song feels like they didn't spend as much time and effort on it compared to the other songs. I wouldn't call ASG a bad song, but to me, it's not up to the same level of writing as the rest of Tiny Music. To me, it does feel like they threw it in to "fill" the space between Trippin' and Adhesive. That alone doesn't make it a bad song. Filler songs can happen to be good songs, as is the case with ASG, or they can fall flat, like MC5 or Cinnamon. Even MC5, which I wouldn't call a good song, serves a very clear purpose -- to transition from I Got You into Atlanta. The ending of No. 4 doesn't work without MC5. On its own, it's a throwaway song, but in the context of the whole of No. 4, it's actually very important, in that it kinda "cleanses the palette" after the poppy westerny vibes of I Got You before the grand finale of the epic Atlanta.

Also, this is all just my opinion, so you're allowed to disagree with me. To each his own.

For example, some people actually like Cinnamon. Eww.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 05:49:02 AM by EyesOfDisarray »

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 18, 2018, 04:31:53 PM »
After sitting with a physical copy of the Best Buy deluxe version of the album for a few days, there are for sure a few things to point out:

Upon first listen, I did not hear any songs that jumped out at me. In the past when listening to STP, it was actually clear to me upon immediate listen which tracks I loved and which ones had not made their mark in my mind. Often enough, I have a tendency to really become immersed in STP's slower songs and ballads and while I absolutely love harder songs like All In The Suit That You Wear and Regeneration, when I truly consider STP's vast catalog, it's songs like Hello It's Late, And So I Know, and Atlanta that seem to play on what is a constant loop. Even music like A Song For Sleeping and I Got You have settled in my heart as beautiful and memorable songs. That being said, the songs that stand out to me on this album are absolutely due to my love for past STP material. In other words, I love the songs I do as they have a nostalgic element to them, which reminds me of the STP I originally fell in love with, which was missing on their 2010 and High Rise efforts.

3) Six Eight - I have heard other people discussing this song and they are truly on the money. Where I expect the song to go based on the opening and where it actually ends up are two completely different places and I love the unpredictability of the song. I think this song would be an excellent addition to their current setlist as I found that listening to these songs on the album is one thing, but hearing them live is an entirely different story. Also, upon first listen I immediately heard Alice in Chains here and am for sure sticking to that. I also find Dean's solo to be pretty amazing here, something I feel we would find on SLDD. My only complaint about this song is how short it is. This song could have used a bit more room to standout on the record and I'm worried it will get lost within the others.

2) I Thought She'd Be Mine/The Art Of Letting Go - Both of these songs have more of that ballad feel I discussed earlier and these tracks absolutely stand out on the album to me. The music here is absolutely beautiful and I Thought She'd Be Mine sounds like something we would have gotten during that SLDD era while The Art Of Letting Go  seems to fit perfectly within the new STP era. I find myself listening to these two songs over and over and they absolutely capture the feelings that I originally had when I first fell in love with the group to begin with. STP has a tendency to just write really terrific rock songs. Nothing really over the top or heavy or complicated. The songs here are simple and they go down really easy for me. The whole trailing off part at the end that occurs on I Thought She'd Be Mine is a huge hook for me too. I can't put my finger on what it reminds me of, but I just picture someone saying goodbye to someone else on repeat or this song playing at the end of a film. Kind of hard to explain really. Either way, I have said that STP's greatest material comes when their music and lyrics have room to work together, unlike the 2010 mashed up album where it's obvious that communication and good relations were completely lacking.

1) Finest Hour - When I consider the album as a whole, I am so glad to hear this song. Beyond any other, this is absolutely my favorite song on the entire album. I have listened to this one dozens of times already and can't even describe what I love about it so much. However, I think I really feel like there are two things going on: 1) This is old STP in my book and we haven't heard old STP in a really long time. 2) This song gives me a sense of what was occurring in the studio for some reason as it just seems like such a cohesive track with great relations behind it. With the 2010 album, I disliked the music, melodies and lyrics. With this song in particular, I can almost hear that the guys are in a place where they have a great relationship. For some reason, the song just speaks to me in more of just a four minute song as it somehow opens the door into the personal lives of the band.

This is a really wonderful album and the more I listen to it, the more I love it. My only complaint, which I know will sound odd, is that I am finding a cheapness about the album as there's just not much that's behind it. I feel like the disc is going to be prone to scratches not being in a standard jewel case and even the paper everything is printed on does not feel like other albums I own. In other words, this release is feeling somewhat independent in a way. Am I alone on this one?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:35:09 PM by loungefly90 »

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 18, 2018, 05:56:30 PM »
I see a lot of echos about the deleos sounding similar to something Aerosmith would do... that is probably right, and I’m not the biggest fan of their work as a “whole”. Some of the rockers I feel will grow a little.

I actually thought “guilty” is a good track. I don’t think it has the power to be a single for them, but I enjoy it enough.

Just a little lie is also neat in its own ways.

Not a fan of six eight. I see many really enjoy that one. It hasn’t started to come around on me yet.

The record does get a little more comfortable each time I’m hearing it. A lot of stuff takes time with me.

I think someone said it best. Brandon o Brian is probably the 5th pilot. I feel if this has his stamp on the album, it might push it further.

Either way. Considering what these guys have all been through this is a fantastic piece of work.

I couldn’t wait to get on here and add a little update...

I LOVE THIS ALBUM! Is this what we have been missing for... how many years?!

“Roll Me Under” just clicked for me. I rolled my eyes so hard at this track when it was released, but it’s amazing.  I’m on my 4th or 5th run through and this stuff is amazing. When can these guys get in the studio for another one?

It’s a good vibe listening to all these songs, they are all coming around on me big time. Dean has some awesome solos in these tunes. I just can’t believe how much I’m enjoying this album.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 18, 2018, 06:09:29 PM »
I think my favorite song off the album is "Finest Hour"
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 18, 2018, 07:02:25 PM »
Just some thoughts on the booklet:

There is a band picture, but no listing of their names (other than the abbreviated names for writing credits, and first names in the 'thank you' section)

all four members receive songwriting credits:

Jeff is listed third on all tracks
Eric is listed fourth on all tracks

on the tracks below, Dean is listed first, Robert second (I assume these were mainly 'Dean' songs)
Middle of Nowhere
Just a little lie
Thought She'd Be Mine
The Art of Letting Go
Finest Hour
Good Shoes
Already gone

on the tracks below, Robert is listed first, Dean second (again, I assume these were mainly 'Rob' songs)
Guilty
Meadow
Six Eight
Roll Me Under
Never Enough
Reds & Blues
Forget Forever

no specific writing credits for lyrics, so I wonder if any one other than Jeff contributed? 

Also, no disclosure on who played the xylophone on 'Thought She'd be Mine' or any other 'who played what' listing
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:03:57 PM by Five Star Edge »
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

nakedninja21

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 18, 2018, 07:22:21 PM »
Noted that too. Gotta be it. (Meanwhile while doing album credits they just flipped a coin to see who was listed first lol) Looks like the Best Buy version with extra songs has one Dean song and one Robert song
Pleased to meet you, nice to know me...

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 18, 2018, 07:56:38 PM »
Having heard the bonus tracks, I can't believe Already Gone isn't an album track. It's almost as if they intentionally saved one of the best tracks for the best but edition to motivate people to buy it. IMO Good Shoes should have been a b-side and Already Gone should have been on the standard edition.

Either way, IMO the two bonus tracks make the Best Buy edition worth the money... They definitely are both good songs and neither feels tacked on to the end like the bonus tracks for the Peace album did.
Grab the hate and drown it out...