June 26, 2024, 03:42:07 AM

Author Topic: Layne vs Scott  (Read 6174 times)

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Layne vs Scott
« on: June 30, 2016, 06:25:09 AM »
I was watching some videos one day that were Alice in Chains related on youtube. I saw a video where Scott was singing "Angry Chair" on stage with the rest of the band. I don't know if anyone's noticed this, or it's just me, but Layne has a lot stans on his videos that seem to be mostly females who get mad about someone dissing Layne 20 years ago. Anyways, some girl commented when Layne died Scott went on KROC or something like that. The deejay told Scott to take care of himself after his interview, don't end up like Layne, etc, and Scott said, "Well, at least I have all my teeth." Is there any truth, or video evidence of him insulting Layne, or is this all the imagination of an obsessed fan?

Another person, a guy commented on the video and said Layne hated STP and bands that were trying to copy Alice in Chains at the time when grunge was at its peak. I get the feeling that Scott and Layne weren't very close, but I never knew there was any major rivalry.

DrLymphNode

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Layne vs Scott
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 07:43:22 AM »
I really, really doubt Layne had time or reason to judge anyone except himself

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 09:11:22 AM »
The only Grunge guy I ever heard Scott talk shit about was Eddie Vedder, and Eddie started that.  Never saw Scott say a bad word about Layne or Alice In Chains.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 01:47:22 PM »
I really, really doubt Layne had time or reason to judge anyone except himself

Same with Scott.

I don't think either of them were talking shit about the other.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 07:58:09 PM »
I never really heard anything negative between Layne and Scott, but back in the day I remember feeling like all those bands viewed STP as second rate.

Maybe that changed with time...hence the Scott appearance on with AIC years later. (Also, supposedly Scott showed interest in fronting AIC).

I also remember Talk Show toured with the Foo Fighters in ’97, so I’d assume there’s no hard feelings between Grohl and them.

But of course, we know how the PJ stuff played out in the early days and there's that story from when Robert bumped into Chris and Eddie backstage and they blew him off. These guys probably lumped STP in with the Seven Mary Threes of the world. I have nothing to base that on other than gut feeling. But I mean, even a good portion of die-hard PJ fans are a little don't give STP their due.

Scott probably didn't help matters either. He always had a chip on his shoulder. And I remember an interview around 12BB, where Scott said STP was coming back “to save rock n roll, because it needed it”. Comments like that come off as pretentious and most likely don’t go over well with your peers. 
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 08:06:23 PM »
I never really heard anything negative between Layne and Scott, but back in the day I remember feeling like all those bands viewed STP as second rate.

Maybe that changed with time...hence the Scott appearance on with AIC years later. (Also, supposedly Scott showed interest in fronting AIC).

I also remember Talk Show toured with the Foo Fighters in ’97, so I’d assume there’s no hard feelings between Grohl and them.

But of course, we know how the PJ stuff played out in the early days and there's that story from when Robert bumped into Chris and Eddie backstage and they blew him off. These guys probably lumped STP in with the Seven Mary Threes of the world. I have nothing to base that on other than gut feeling. But I mean, even a good portion of die-hard PJ fans are a little don't give STP their due.

Scott probably didn't help matters either. He always had a chip on his shoulder. And I remember an interview around 12BB, where Scott said STP was coming back “to save rock n roll, because it needed it”. Comments like that come off as pretentious and most likely don’t go over well with your peers. 

I think Chris Cornell later saw that he was wrong, he paid tribute to Scott twice around the time he died, and never said anything bad about them later in his career.  Billy Corgan also wrote about how he realized he was wrong about initially thinking STP were bandwagoners and apologized when Tiny Music came out, and ended up kind of befriending them.  He even called Scott one of the greatest voices of his generation.

Matt Cameron though took a shot at STP in 2010 calling them 'painful' when looking at a magazine with them on the cover promoting self-titled.  Dean DeLeo kind of took a shot at Soundgarden back then too, not sounding too enthused about their reunion.  Billy Corgan also trashed Soundgarden's reunion, and the Soundgarden guys all have trashed him in recent years too.

I haven't heard Eddie Vedder talk about Weiland outside of the infamous 90's quotes, but I've never seen him apologize or admit he was wrong, or the other STP guys mention that he had.  Scott did mention in 2001 or so that other Pearl Jam members had come to an STP show in Seattle, so I'm guessing the rest of the band eventually had a change of heart.

Scott always seemed pretty positive about Grunge and forgiving about the early insults.

Jerry Cantrell though has always seemed to have gotten along with literally everybody.  Jerry has performed with the guys from STP, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, and Soundgarden over the years.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 08:09:01 PM by StoneTempleBrett »

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

I-want-a-time-machine

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 08:23:42 PM »
it would have been a lie anyway, according to Mary's book he showed up with teeth missing sometimes... ;)

If he did say it it must have been his sarcasm/ gallows humor thing, as around the time of Layne's death he wasn't doing so well either. I doubt it was meant in a bad way towards Layne as apparently Scott and Mike Starr were friends(they met in rehab) and Mike and Layne were close until the end.
half the art school girl she used to be...

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 10:37:09 PM »

Yeah, I do remember the story about Chris and Eddie being cold to the DeLeos or something like that. Yeah, I guess some people did see STP more in line with Seven Mary Three or Candlebox which doesn't make much sense. That's kind of sad if Pearl Jam fans are still bent about the STP comparisons.

He may not have been knocking other bands. He may have been saying that because all the teen pop was getting bigger at the time, and that may be why "No.4" did okay, but all the nu-metal/rap rock was kind of overshadowing everything else. Just my opinion, though.

Matt Cameron though took a shot at STP in 2010 calling them 'painful' when looking at a magazine with them on the cover promoting self-titled. 

Don't know what was so painful about it...Sounds like sour grapes.

it would have been a lie anyway, according to Mary's book he showed up with teeth missing sometimes...

HAHA. I was just thinking that, too. He always had a missing tooth when he went on drug runs according to Mary's book. Didn't Scott have veneers later on? At least Layne's teeth were real, but I think the media exaggerated his state of being up until it got too late and he really was in a bad state and died.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:41:08 PM by TooCoolQueenie »

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »
The only Grunge guy I ever heard Scott talk shit about was Eddie Vedder, and Eddie started that.  Never saw Scott say a bad word about Layne or Alice In Chains.

Sorry. Anytime I quote someone it seems to mess up, but where is the article, or what exactly did Eddie start?

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 12:56:04 AM »
But the chip on Scotts shoulder also took him to the top of the mountain of frontmen. All the greats think they are the shit...it's just a state of the mind. I'm glad he talked like that saying stp needed to save rock n roll.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 05:56:22 AM »
Dean DeLeo kind of took a shot at Soundgarden back then too, not sounding too enthused about their reunion.  Billy Corgan also trashed Soundgarden's reunion, and the Soundgarden guys all have trashed him in recent years too.

To be fair, as a fan of Soundgarden, their reunion was garbage. They made an unmemorable album and continue to play setlists dominated by their more successful albums from the 90s, with a few new songs sprinkled in (sounds familiar). And every show I've seen since their reunion is so unenthused, like they would rather be anywhere else. Cornell's solo album from last year was really good and more inspired than anything he's done in a long time, though.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 09:15:08 AM »
Matt Cameron though took a shot at STP in 2010 calling them 'painful' when looking at a magazine with them on the cover promoting self-titled.  Dean DeLeo kind of took a shot at Soundgarden back then too, not sounding too enthused about their reunion.  Billy Corgan also trashed Soundgarden's reunion, and the Soundgarden guys all have trashed him in recent years too.

Not long after that story, Matt said SPIN made that up, and that he loves STP. You should know, you published the story.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 02:31:11 PM »
Dean DeLeo kind of took a shot at Soundgarden back then too, not sounding too enthused about their reunion.  Billy Corgan also trashed Soundgarden's reunion, and the Soundgarden guys all have trashed him in recent years too.

To be fair, as a fan of Soundgarden, their reunion was garbage. They made an unmemorable album and continue to play setlists dominated by their more successful albums from the 90s, with a few new songs sprinkled in (sounds familiar). And every show I've seen since their reunion is so unenthused, like they would rather be anywhere else. Cornell's solo album from last year was really good and more inspired than anything he's done in a long time, though.

Yea, I am a fan of Soundgarden and was a HUGE fan when I was younger.  King Animal didn't do much for me.  There's a new album supposedly coming out later this year.  I'll give them one more chance before I say they're done.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »
...but where is the article, or what exactly did Eddie start?

It was a Rolling Stone piece back in '93.

Here's the part: Vedder agrees. He promises that the new album will be released before any videos. “I don’t even have MTV,” he says with a shrug. “I don’t know why I’m commenting. People stop me in the streets and tell me about this band Stone Temple Pilots. I don’t even know who they are. I’m buying a sandwich, and they go, ‘What’s going on with the Stone Temple Pilots?'”

“You haven’t seen the video?” asks Ament. “You have to have seen it.”

“I haven’t,” he says. “I don’t have MTV.”

Ament tells Vedder about the “Plush” video, with the singer’s uncanny appropriation of Vedder’s mannerisms. Vedder’s heard it before. In fact, he hears it daily. From fans, from friends, even from a French musician who complimented him on the song and his new short orange hair. (Vedder’s hair is still longish and brown.)

“Apparently, it’s something that the guy is dealing with, too,” Vedder suggests. “It’s like, am I supposed to feel sympathy? Get your own trip, man. I don’t think I was copping anybody’s trip. I wasn’t copping Andy Wood’s trip. I wasn’t copping Kurt Cobain’s trip, even though Kurt Cobain’s one of the best trips I could ever cop. But Beth and I were part of the San Diego scene. We knew everything that was going on, and it was small enough to know. Those guys came from there? I never heard of ’em.” End of subject.

He may not have been knocking other bands. He may have been saying that because all the teen pop was getting bigger at the time, and that may be why "No.4" did okay, but all the nu-metal/rap rock was kind of overshadowing everything else. Just my opinion, though.

But the chip on Scotts shoulder also took him to the top of the mountain of frontmen. All the greats think they are the shit...it's just a state of the mind. I'm glad he talked like that saying stp needed to save rock n roll.

I agree. He was one of the greatest. And I don't think he was knocking a specific band, but peers probably look at him like "gimme a break".

To each his/her own, I suppose. I think "King Animal" has some good stuff on it. It had all the ingredients that make a solid Soundgarden record, especially considering it was 16 years removed from their last album together. In time, it'll probably be more appreciated.

As for hits set-lists, it's the bread and butter that these bands need to go by. Not to mention that they were opening for Nine Inch Nails on that tour, so a couple of new tunes among their hits was probably all they were able to do.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 07:21:32 AM »
I was on a big Layne and AIC kick listening to some of the songs they did on "Unplugged."

Well, I sometimes I check out IMDb, and I wanted to see if Layne had a board. I saw a thread about Scott. I wonder who this "friend" is the last poster is talking about because it kind of sounds random and not real:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0821655/board/thread/110710570