June 26, 2024, 03:33:43 AM

Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots announce Paul Christiana as their new singer  (Read 4668 times)

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Temple Pilots announce Paul Christiana as their new singer
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 12:55:13 PM »
Lol. On a serious note I was never a huge fan of them continuing with Chester, probably just because I was jaded by Scott still being alive. After he died I can't think of a better person to honor the legacy of the band than someone who has worshipped them his entire life. Not to mention they have great chemistry together, and I never objected to that fact.

I think it sucks all around. VR is a much different band than STP, I feel like it actually would have been easier for them to find a singer so I'm not holding out any hope that STP finds their guy. I don't want them to keep it going just for the sake of it, but I'm pretty sure they realize that as well. I guess time will tell. Everything is likely on hold until Robert finishes the Hollywood Vampires stuff anyhow.
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 02:23:47 PM »
^^^ I agree with that regarding Chester.

When Scott was here the band was doing that deal in spite of Scott... That's my opinion. I don't care about the stuff they said in interviews or whatever about them needing to work. They did it in spite of Scott and laughed at him any chance they had... That's why people mostly didn't like Chester including me. Now however it would go over a lot better had they tried that part now... O well.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 08:38:16 PM »
Lol. On a serious note I was never a huge fan of them continuing with Chester, probably just because I was jaded by Scott still being alive. After he died I can't think of a better person to honor the legacy of the band than someone who has worshipped them his entire life. Not to mention they have great chemistry together, and I never objected to that fact.

I think it sucks all around. VR is a much different band than STP, I feel like it actually would have been easier for them to find a singer so I'm not holding out any hope that STP finds their guy. I don't want them to keep it going just for the sake of it, but I'm pretty sure they realize that as well. I guess time will tell. Everything is likely on hold until Robert finishes the Hollywood Vampires stuff anyhow.

I was just listening to No. 4 and thinking about how Pruno would have never been played live it weren't for Chester spontaneously singing it acapella at a rehearsal . They aren't going to find someone like that ever again.

When Scott was here the band was doing that deal in spite of Scott... That's my opinion. I don't care about the stuff they said in interviews or whatever about them needing to work. They did it in spite of Scott and laughed at him any chance they had... That's why people mostly didn't like Chester including me. Now however it would go over a lot better had they tried that part now... O well.

I seriously doubt anyone in STP intended to keep the band going just to spite Scott. I think, simply put, they realized Scott stopped caring about the band so they all just stopped caring what Scott thought about the band.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 10:06:38 PM »

I remember when Scott died, Chester tweeted "I am so sad, angry, heart broken... I hate today."
No doubt he was sad about Scott, but I also wonder if part of that was referencing his decision to no longer carry on with STP.

Which by the way, I don't begrudge Chester for "being busy" with LP, but quite frankly, if he was still in the picture, we probably would have gotten some new music by now.
Robert's busy with Hollywood Vampires (and Delta Deep before that), so it's not like they have 100% undivided focus on a singer search or even writing music together.
Who knows now, if/when we'll ever get anything at all?

Given the situation they're in now, I would have gladly put up with Chester's availability in between LP cycles, even if it wasn't the ideal scenario. Despite some fans being down on his contributions to High Rise, I believe a rock solid album together would have warmed up the fan base.  But I guess it's spilled milk, now.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 10:46:11 PM »
The whole deal with Chester just felt like a deal where someone breaks up with someone, and then flaunts a new "lover" around to get some attetion... That's how I felt with it. If it came across as a genuine for the good of the world thing to everyone else, then so be it. I just didn't go for that weekend sale...

Son Of Sam

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2016, 12:50:28 AM »
STP signing Paul would be the closest thing to the 2nd coming of Jesus

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2016, 01:21:38 AM »
I don't think they're gonna find someone as good of a fit as Chester. He had his cons, but the pros way outweighed them. Plus, I don't think they're gonna find someone with as many pros -- lifelong fan/influenced by them, from own mega successful band, talented, experienced, decent writer, solid performer, and all around good guy that everyone seems to genuinely like.

Maybe in light of Scott's passing, Chester should reconsider.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 01:42:23 AM »
Black Heart and Tomorrow really fit well in the STP catalog. The rest was take it or leave it for me. I too think time would have made a difference. Can't imagine Chester coming back.

mrmojorisin

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 02:40:16 AM »
I hated STP w/Chester when Scott was alive but would welcome Chester back with open arms since Scott has passed.
Too much walkin shoes worn thin  Too trippin and my souls worn thin

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 08:14:08 AM »
It didn't work w/ Chester then & it won't work now.  They gave it a shot and I think you guys are giving Chester way too much credit.  I listened to some of the songs he sang and I don't know what speakers you have but maybe you should return them   ;D

8) :-* ;)
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 09:09:06 AM »
The whole deal with Chester just felt like a deal where someone breaks up with someone, and then flaunts a new "lover" around to get some attetion... That's how I felt with it. If it came across as a genuine for the good of the world thing to everyone else, then so be it. I just didn't go for that weekend sale...

EXACTLY.

It was like the ex husband flaunting around his 20 year old lover around his 40 year old ex wife.

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 09:13:18 AM »
It didn't work w/ Chester then & it won't work now.  They gave it a shot and I think you guys are giving Chester way too much credit.  I listened to some of the songs he sang and I don't know what speakers you have but maybe you should return them   ;D

8) :-* ;)

I watched a few performances with Chester and he was okay. I think with the way some of the auditions were going and how poor some of them are, Chester was better by far, but also because he's obviously had more experience and time in the industry.

I'm still baffled though as to WHY the DeLeos chose him to sing and not some guy from the grunge era who wasn't doing much. It's like getting the singer from Crazytown to replace Chris Cornell in Soundgarden.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 03:24:39 PM »

I watched a few performances with Chester and he was okay. I think with the way some of the auditions were going and how poor some of them are, Chester was better by far, but also because he's obviously had more experience and time in the industry.

I'm still baffled though as to WHY the DeLeos chose him to sing and not some guy from the grunge era who wasn't doing much. It's like getting the singer from Crazytown to replace Chris Cornell in Soundgarden.

I don't think you just plug in a guy from the same era, simply because he was from the same era.

Also, Chester gets a bad rap because of Linkin Park and the association of "rap/rock".
His pre-LP band was influenced by and more in line with the 90's bands than Linkin Park.

As for "High Rise", his vocal styling was very Scott-like. He didn't come in and scream his balls off, like he may do with LP. I think he honored the "style" of vocal that would come in an STP song, as best he could.

If he was too different people would say "what is this?". If he was channeling Scott, he was "copping his style". All things considered, I think he handled it pretty well. That was a tough spot.

And yes, while Chester didn't always have the tone for some of their older material, CheSTP's performances were overall pretty solid. He was never going to be Scott. But if we are to take the Deleo's at their word that "moving on with new music" was the intended focus, then in time, fans would embrace him a little more (if they liked the new material, of course), especially because, if nothing else, he was helping keep the band alive.

We'll never really know. They just needed a kickass full length record together. I refuse to truly base my opinion of their potential on a 5 song EP that was thrown together.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 09:13:19 PM »

I don't think you just plug in a guy from the same era, simply because he was from the same era.

Also, Chester gets a bad rap because of Linkin Park and the association of "rap/rock".
His pre-LP band was influenced by and more in line with the 90's bands than Linkin Park.

As for "High Rise", his vocal styling was very Scott-like. He didn't come in and scream his balls off, like he may do with LP. I think he honored the "style" of vocal that would come in an STP song, as best he could.

If he was too different people would say "what is this?". If he was channeling Scott, he was "copping his style". All things considered, I think he handled it pretty well. That was a tough spot.

And yes, while Chester didn't always have the tone for some of their older material, CheSTP's performances were overall pretty solid. He was never going to be Scott. But if we are to take the Deleo's at their word that "moving on with new music" was the intended focus, then in time, fans would embrace him a little more (if they liked the new material, of course), especially because, if nothing else, he was helping keep the band alive.

We'll never really know. They just needed a kickass full length record together. I refuse to truly base my opinion of their potential on a 5 song EP that was thrown together.

Maybe I was a little harsh on Chester, but I have heard of Grey Daze, and he was pretty good then.

I think he did pretty good with STP, and he engaged the fans pretty well.

I just knew too many people in high school that obsessed over Linkin Park and thought they were so hard when they weren't. I thought they were okay, but they weren't my favorite band. I think I burnt myself out on them.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2016, 02:22:07 AM »
Grey Daze was mad decent, and the first 2 Linkin Park albums are great albums in the genre of numetal, can even go as far as saying Hybrid Theory and Meteora are classics. Then starting on whatever the album What I've Done is on, they got pretty watered down and ehhh. Lost what made them great in the first place.

The biggest issue I have with Chester is his whiny voice. It doesn't fit with 99% or STP's material. Yeah, he sang Pruno and Adhesive with them on stage, but watching old YouTube videos, can anybody say those performances are objectively good? I can't. He could probably sing Fast As I Can, whining about fancy yogurt and not being able to get on the golf course anymore.

Anyway. I hope you all have some WINE FUN on your Independence Day weekend and that you are able to spend time with those you enjoy being around.
Bleeda blooda