June 26, 2024, 03:25:15 AM

Author Topic: STP Love  (Read 841 times)

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
STP Love
« on: June 11, 2016, 11:22:20 PM »
This probably isn't on the right thread, and it may have been discussed before. See, I was just a kid when STP were in their peak. It wasn't until now when I began reading more articles on Scott and STP that a lot of people were super critical about the band copying Pearl Jam. I never knew about that or heard about that until now reading articles. When you started listening to STP and you said they were your favorite band, what were people's reactions? Was it really negative? I always got the feeling they were the whipping boys of rock or something.

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
Re: STP Love
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 01:22:35 AM »
For me I too was too young to really understand or appreciate STPs work the way it was intended for the first few years. I was only 6 or 7 when they got rolling... So I wasn't supposed to understand what they were exactly about. However after hearing them on radio for years I remember enjoying the songs... But it was 2003 when it "clicked" for me...

I was probably 17 at the moment, stumbled into a copy of core by accident(I'll save the long story for now...), and when I listened to it from from to back, it spoke exactly what I wanted to hear at that time... This timing was good and bad for me... Bad because the boys had just gotten into what would be a long hiatus... But good because it was only a month or two before "thank you" hit the stores. When I got ahold of the dvd on its release day, I'll never forget what that was like... I believe it was my first time actually seeing the guys and putting the faces with the music... I remember when I saw Trippin and big empty from rolling rock, I immediately knew this was my favorite band of all time. The stars aligned and I found what was supposed to be my favorite artist, and favorite band.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP Love
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 01:33:22 AM »
I didn't get any negativity during the Core and Purple eras. I only heard about the Pearl Jam stuff from MTV, but most people I knew ignored that and liked STP for their music.

Ironically, it wasn't until Tiny Music, when they started to branch out, that people looked at me funny for saying they're my favorite band. I guess most people expected them to stay within that Core/Purple sound and weren't really comfortable with the directions STP explored after that. For me, Tiny Music was the album that actually got me to put aside my expectations and just enjoy the music for what it is. I still had my close circle of musician friends who also loved STP, and we jammed on their songs all the time.