June 26, 2024, 02:43:11 AM

Author Topic: Seven Mary Three  (Read 1758 times)

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Seven Mary Three
« on: June 11, 2016, 11:18:22 PM »
I didn't know who Seven Mary Three was until I began college back ten years ago. I was perusing this one site where all these people were talking about alternative rock groups they didn't really like, or liked in a guilty pleasure way. I wish I could link the article. All I remember is that this guy was revisiting the "Sex Type Thing" video. Kind of like "We all hated STP, but we kinda sorta get why people kinda like them" way. Anyways, I just remember one poster said STP were the rich man's Seven Mary Three. It seems to me that STP developed different sounds on each album whereas 7M3 kind of stayed grunge/Southern rock. I don't even think they tour anymore. They haven't updated their Facebook page since 2012. I own one of their cds, but I haven't listened to it, yet. I think Scott for sure was a better performer and showman than Jason Ross, the singer in 7M3. Any opinions?

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Seven Mary Three
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 01:48:23 AM »
Being from my town (Orlando), 7M3 was pretty well-known around here, but I never really got into them. I remember when the first version of "Cumbersome" first started getting played on local radio, I thought it was new STP. The singer's voice sounded a lot like Weiland (this was around the Core/Purple era). Then, they rerecorded it and released the new version to national radio, which is the version everyone knows, and I didn't like it -- the vocals were much more "snarly" (?) and the guitars were much more jangly. They had a few other good tracks on that first album.

Anyways, they were still big in Orlando after their first album and played around town a lot. I have some friends who've shared a bill with them. I haven't listened to any of their other albums though.

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 02:36:49 AM »
Being from my town (Orlando), 7M3 was pretty well-known around here, but I never really got into them. I remember when the first version of "Cumbersome" first started getting played on local radio, I thought it was new STP. The singer's voice sounded a lot like Weiland (this was around the Core/Purple era). Then, they rerecorded it and released the new version to national radio, which is the version everyone knows, and I didn't like it -- the vocals were much more "snarly" (?) and the guitars were much more jangly. They had a few other good tracks on that first album.

Anyways, they were still big in Orlando after their first album and played around town a lot. I have some friends who've shared a bill with them. I haven't listened to any of their other albums though.

You know, I just listened to the "Churn" version of "Cumbersome," and wow, what a difference! The first sounds more acoustic and downplayed. It almost sounds country. Yes, I agree that their singing voices sounded a bit similar. I just never saw the full-on comparisons other than that, really. STP grew into a more sleeker sound and image whereas 7M3 stayed in a more blue collar type of image. Yeah, Scott wore that worker 7-Up jacket and the guys did have a bit of a working class look to them, but they had a more vintage feel to their style. 7M3 seemed to have a more country feel and look. I mean, the cover of "American Standard" has the guy about to chop the chicken's head off for Pete's sake!

I'll have to listen to 7M3's albums to have a more broad opinion on them. I usually love a band when I listen to their albums all the way through a few times.

Oh, and I just remembered that I read somewhere that Jason Ross is the executive producer on MTV's "Made." Well, I don't think it's on, anymore. EyesofDisarray, did your friends have any cool stories about the guys?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:37:23 AM by TooCoolQueenie »

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:32:47 PM »
Here's the article in the comments they were talking about Seven Mary Three:

http://www.avclub.com/article/stone-temple-pilots-theyre-actually-good-really-9494

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 03:24:38 AM »
they're no Sun God Seven.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 03:37:20 AM »
they're no Sun God Seven.

Yeah, but who is? That much greatness can only exist in very small amounts, at varying distant times throughout history.
Bleeda blooda

TooCoolQueenie

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 06:09:50 AM »
I'm kind of new here. What's this all about Sun God Seven?  :P :o ;)