September 22, 2024, 07:39:40 PM

Author Topic: My Nick Maybury Interview  (Read 4844 times)

ww7794

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: My Nick Maybury Interview with quotes
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 01:07:27 PM »
I asked Nick if there were any unreleased songs that he and the Wildabouts recorded with Scott before he passed and he said "We didn't get to record any new songs together.  There was some riffs and an outline of a song that they we would sometimes mess around with in practice, but nothing that was recorded."

I then asked if there were any live shows that they professionally recorded for a possible album release and he once again said " No that their camp hadn't professionally recorded any shows. There is only the youtube videos that concert goers had recorded." "No plans that I am aware of to release live material"

He said," It was tough getting thru the last few months as you can imagine. It's hard cause I know we would've been recording new material and prob recording touring again already.  #crushed. 

I asked if he had kept in touch with the Wildabouts’ bassist and best friend to Scott, Tommy Black. He said "No I haven't seen him since Scott’s funeral. I did recently send a quick, What’s up message to him."

I was very happy to hear that Nick had joined the touring band for Juliette & the Licks. It features Juliette Lewis, Brad Wilk from Rage Against the Machine, Juan Alderate from Mars Volta and Todd Morse from Offspring. He said that they will be touring Europe April 14-May 8 and that it starts at Tribeca Film Festival NYC.

I also asked if he planned on releasing any of his own material and he said that he had recorded some material of his own. It was material that he produced before he met the Wildabouts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Aqdy0rY578

He said that this video was what Scott watched that helped Nick get the Wildabouts gig.

When I asked Nick what he thought about Stone Temple Pilots having open auditions for a new singer he replied that "it makes me ill. I think its an atrocity." He said that different people had even asked him if the Wildabouts ever considered replacing Scott after his passing. "I'm like huh!!! What do you mean that's Scott's band.  It's all about Scott. Who else can or could do it.  No one, cause no one is Scott.  It's kinda sickening how that attitude from STP carried over.  TO the point where the fans thought we were gonna treat Scott like that.  No dice"  I think STP wrote amazing music with Scott but they're not STP without him.  It's clear as day. And there's some things in life that are out of your control!"

Nick said "When the Wildabout’s would cover STP songs, Scott did not want those songs to sound like the studio recordings, he wanted them to sound more ragged, raw and dirtier. He wanted them to make them their own. He wanted to sing the lyrics, but wanted the aesthetic to be different." Nick said "He felt they were more fuzzy, bluesy, dirtier, grungy. Like a punk Velvet Revolver/Queens of the Stone Age."

When I acknowledged how I know it must be hard to have lost Scott he said, "Was like losing a family member like your uncle or big brother"

I have very much enjoyed talking with Nick Maybury. He is a great guy and a heck of a guitar player. I truly wish him all the best.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: My Nick Maybury Interview
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 09:51:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing that.  Any time I've read or listened to Nick's words, he comes off as nothing but a class act.  I've been nothing but impressed with him since day 1 with the Wildabouts.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Helen

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: My Nick Maybury Interview
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 04:16:19 AM »
They should call themselves Deleo like Van Halen