September 27, 2024, 06:33:07 PM

Author Topic: Spelling of Vasoline  (Read 6658 times)

purpleflowers

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Spelling of Vasoline
« on: November 05, 2010, 09:10:22 AM »
Since it is obvious that Scott has excellent writing skills, I have always wondered if he misspelled Vasoline on purpose and if so, why. 
7/8/09 Cincinnati, OH
10/11/09 Columbus, OH
3/30/10 Louisville, KY - THE VERY BEST
8/25/10 Cincinnati, OH
7/19/11 Eastlake, OH

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Re: Spelling of Vasoline
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:27:44 AM »
Could be because Vaseline is a brand name. Should have named it petroleum jelly.....
Bleeda blooda

purpleflowers

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »
Could be because Vaseline is a brand name. Should have named it petroleum jelly.....

Hahaha!  I can't see any possible way of making "petroleum jelly" work in the song. 

You may be right about the brand name being the reason for a modified spelling.  :)
7/8/09 Cincinnati, OH
10/11/09 Columbus, OH
3/30/10 Louisville, KY - THE VERY BEST
8/25/10 Cincinnati, OH
7/19/11 Eastlake, OH

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:21:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure I read something once saying it was because of the brand "Vaseline"
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:50:36 PM »

Hahaha!  I can't see any possible way of making "petroleum jelly" work in the song. 

You may be right about the brand name being the reason for a modified spelling.  :)

Flies in the pet-ro-le-um we are...

It totally works, but I am glad the song is as we have it :) 

I am also almost 99% positive that the reason the song was named as such was to avoid lawsuits and avoid paying royalties or what not.  Vaseline is a registered trademark.  Imagine if the band had to pay a royalty off of all profits made from a song named "Vaseline".  It would be insane.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:52:36 PM by Aaron »

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 03:48:06 AM »

I am also almost 99% positive that the reason the song was named as such was to avoid lawsuits and avoid paying royalties or what not.  Vaseline is a registered trademark.  Imagine if the band had to pay a royalty off of all profits made from a song named "Vaseline".  It would be insane.

Exactly, even Chingy was smart enough to title his song Holidae In
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 04:34:49 AM »

The ironic thing is that in the vid you can see a man putting on what appears to be Vaseline LOL

LOL Flies in the luuubbbe we are.....
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 04:37:43 AM by cosmicpilot »
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 06:08:49 AM »
wait... what's the generic name for Vaseline then?
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 06:42:58 AM »
wait... what's the generic name for Vaseline then?

Petroleum jelly.
Bleeda blooda

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 07:32:40 PM »
LOL in the version Y video of said song.  You can see the massive tub of vasoline being spread by the block - I'd say more generic petroleum jelly as it didn't look like a pot of vaseline
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

Violet Skies

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 04:26:49 AM »

Haha I could see that now...

it isn't you, isn't me
search for things that you can't see
going blind, out of reach
somewhere in the petroleum jelly

Just imagining it I hear Scott singing "petroleum jelly" rapidly just to keep the flow of the tune going.
Water summons wind...wind makes fire dance...