September 27, 2024, 09:13:58 PM

Author Topic: New Single and/or New Album Announcement Date Coming December 2nd  (Read 17690 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New Single and/or New Album Announcement Date Coming December 2nd
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2020, 01:43:30 AM »

Not to mention Jeff is going out of his way to look like Scott, I think he’s pretty much dressed up as every single SW era on stage now. That’s the only thing that makes me cringe with the new STP when I see live videos, he can sing the songs but I think he needs to find his own look and moves on stage.
I’m still looking forward to hearing the new material though.

By that measure Scott should be criticized for his inspirations from Jim Morrison and David Bowie.

Well, I’d argue this is a little different to Scott drawing inspiration from his idols from the past like Bowie and Jim Morrison. He didn’t join The Doors a year after Morrison’s death emulating his look and moves on stage did he. As I’ve said, I think Jeff has a great voice and I like some of the new material but I do think he needs to find his own identity on stage, I get he’s in a tough position with some big shoes to fill but sometimes it just looks to me like an SW tribute act up there.

This video is an example of what I mean -
https://www.facebook.com/stpband/videos/10156348845607906/

I know I’m not the only fan seeing it as I read it on comments on YouTube videos a lot, I think fans here don’t want to seem like they’re ‘hating’. That really isn’t my intention though, just an observation and one that I find striking.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:45:37 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2020, 02:44:55 AM »
Happy in Galoshes was probably the last great record he released

There are a couple of great cuts on Happy, but honestly I thought Blaster was a more cohesive, catchier album. My biggest gripe about Blaster was that low-fi fuzz recording that yielded a muffled playback across the album.

Perhaps I phrased that poorly... I'm not saying his later work was bad (Except for Art of Anarchy, which I find tremendously embarrassing), I enjoyed Blaster and Peace... But neither are by any means excellent in my mind, just good. So I don't see how Scott's melodies could have elevated these songs. At best it would be a lateral move, at worst his lack of effort would hinder the songs.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2020, 04:45:12 AM »
I’d like to clarify a few things and take a second stab at some of the earlier comments I made.

First, I can agree that we all share the sentiment that Scott is missed. I certainly am someone who wishes that things could have gone differently and I doubt others would disagree. My point in interjecting Scott into these current songs was nothing more than a curiosity as to what Scott would have done melody-wise with this music and this is because Scott shined on the ballads and slower material. Even when I think of his solo work, Killing Me Sweetly and Divider are my personal favorites. Jeff is good, but a healthy Jeff is no comparison to a healthy Scott Weiland and I attribute this to lyrics, stage presence, live performance style, and just the general way he fit with the music and the rest of the band. However, in no way do I ignore that Scott was the most troublesome of the group and was the cause of their delays, cancelled tours, and late appearances. If people are saying to take this new formation of STP without Scott ever being in the picture, then I still see Jeff as slightly above average. I have seen STP with Jeff twice and found his stage presence to be somewhat lacking.

It seems on this website a person is either glad the old STP disbanded (prior to Scot’s death) or they get labeled as a “Scott Weiland apologist.” We all know Scott had major problems and that his final few years and live performances were a nightmare. It was sad seeing him propped on stage each night while watching him deteriorate into an unrecognizable front man. However, many comments on STP’s Youtube page on the “Three Wishes” video say the same thing: “I miss Scott.” This song certainly makes a person think about Scott, miss him, and wish that things had been different. Unfortunately, this might take away from Jeff a little bit or inadvertently focus the attention not on Jeff or the Deleos who are inspiring these feelings with their great music, but it makes us think about Scott. In that respect, I guess I certainly owe Jeff and the Deleos more credit. To return me mentally to the nostalgic times of discovering STP in the first place and falling in love with their ballads is something these songs are inspiring. This acoustic album is very somber and tranquil and thinking about Scott, just as people did with “Finest Hour,” seems completely expected.

The music we are hearing is very good and I think Jeff is doing a good job. However, I am still waiting and hoping for the next Atlanta, And So I Know, Wonderful, Hello It’s Late, or Kitchenware and Candybars. Again, Jeff is doing a fine job. However, I am still feeling that he is yet to fully find his true groove with STP and this is somewhat obvious in many areas. I certainly hope he finds his way, for his benefit and for ours.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2020, 07:55:50 PM »
I think repeated listens of Three Wishes will pay off, they have put a huge amount of work into the composition. It's exceptional.

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2020, 05:05:36 PM »
Can anyone obtain a chart update for Fare Thee Well? Last week it sat at #36.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2020, 05:59:10 PM »
Yes, it is at no.35. You can see it at the link here, it's hidden behind a paywall, but that doesn't kick in until you dismiss the cookie consent because Billboard are idiots. So just don't dismiss the cookie consent and you can see the whole chart.

https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-mainstream-rock-tracks

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2020, 04:49:17 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this "acoustic" CD. But I'm wondering if there will be any "bonus" tracks available if bought at a certain store, such as the case with their last release when you got two bonus tracks if you bought the Cd at Best Buy. I haven't heard anything yet? Anyone hear of any bonus material tracks if purchased at a Best Buy or Target?

Japan version will have three bonus tracks:

11 - Big Empty (Acoustic Live 2018)
12 - Interstate Love Song (Acoustic Live 2018)
13 - Pretty Penny (Acoustic Live 2018)

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPCR-18315
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

kshamrock20

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2020, 01:41:06 AM »
Anybody able to see Fare Thee Well's chart position this week? My browser does not let me see beyond the pay wall. It was 35 a week ago. Thank you.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 24, 2020, 03:00:51 PM »
Looks to have dropped off the chart.