September 27, 2024, 08:46:50 PM

Author Topic: Perdida Tour Canceled  (Read 3850 times)

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
Re: Perdida Tour Canceled
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 02:43:54 PM »
I'm looking forward to this album, but wouldn't it make sense to postpone the release of it until they are able to tour it the way they wanted to?

At this point, I can see a few scenarios:

- (1) Album out in February, Australian Tour, Nickelback Tour, + "hopefully" Perdida tour later (exactly like they planned and rehearsed it now, with focus on Perdida.

- (2) Album out in February, Australian Tour, Nickelback Tour, + "hopefully" Perdida tour later (which will be more like a 'general ' "Evening with STP" and may even cost us seeing a few songs that they were planning to play in February, depending on the album's reception.

- (3) Album out in February, Australian Tour, Nickelback Tour, + no more Perdida tour later (due to whatever scheduling problems)

- (4) Australian Tour, Nickelback Tour, + album release in the winter + Perdida tour to coincide (exactly like they planned and rehearsed it now, with focus on Perdida).

I think option 4 would be best, generally. We've been waiting for this album (which was done, mastered and packaged in June) for a while now. What's a little longer? The only downside is that the release may never happen down the road.

Option 1 is okay and seems the most likely thing to happen, but the momentum for Perdida will be mostly gone if that tour starts in November or December or even 2021. Not to mention; will anyone in the band be looking forward to that around the holidays after the extensive tour with Nickelback is done? They have a pretty exhausting schedule ahead of them.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 02:46:32 PM by Rik »

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 04:21:35 PM »
I'm looking forward to this album, but wouldn't it make sense to postpone the release of it until they are able to tour it the way they wanted to?

- (1) Album out in February, Australian Tour, Nickelback Tour, + "hopefully" Perdida tour later (exactly like they planned and rehearsed it now, with focus on Perdida.

- (2) Album out in February, Australian Tour, Nickelback Tour, + "hopefully" Perdida tour later (which will be more like a 'general ' "Evening with STP" and may even cost us seeing a few songs that they were planning to play in February, depending on the album's reception.

- (3) Album out in February, Australian Tour, Nickelback Tour, + no more Perdida tour later (due to whatever scheduling problems)

- (4) Australian Tour, Nickelback Tour, + album release in the winter + Perdida tour to coincide (exactly like they planned and rehearsed it now, with focus on Perdida).

I think option 4 would be best, generally. We've been waiting for this album (which was done, mastered and packaged in June) for a while now. What's a little longer? The only downside is that the release may never happen down the road.

Option 1 is okay and seems the most likely thing to happen, but the momentum for Perdida will be mostly gone if that tour starts in November or December or even 2021. Not to mention; will anyone in the band be looking forward to that around the holidays after the extensive tour with Nickelback is done? They have a pretty exhausting schedule ahead of them.

I'll admit that I don't know much about album distribution, but it would seem like a lot of effort to delay the release date being that promotion has already started with the release of singles, Fare Thee Well has charted, a music video was made and released, and I can only assume physical copies of the album have already been received by the distributors.

I agree that the band is finding themselves in very familiar and unfortunate territory, but it almost would seem impossible to really change anything since we are about two weeks out from the physical release.

I remember buying albums on Tuesdays from Best Buy and prior to the Internet, I was often told that boxes of albums were received weeks before the release date and of course record executives got the album early as well. I'm sure some things have changed, but also that some have stayed the same as well.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 06:37:09 PM »

Like I said before, a lot of Rhino's business seems to be pre-orders. Delaying those pre-orders because the band can't tour might actually cause more harm than good.

If anything, them touring the album later in the year might actually help stretch the life of the album out a bit. They get the marketing boost from the singles early in the year, then (hopefully) a second push from the tour later on.

Of course, all this is assuming they actually do the tour. I really have my doubts they'll go to the effort to reschedule it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:45:21 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 07:44:35 PM »
Delaying the release could get messy if people ask for a refund on their pre-purchases.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 08:27:30 PM »
This is really unfortunate. I was really looking forward to this tour. Bad luck follows these guys but if there is one thing I know it's that these guys didn't make it this far by quitting. They will push forward. I bet they come out the gate stong and hungry for the summer touring season. I do feel that this Perdida album will get the same odd promotional treatment that No. 4 got. What are they to do though? Their hands are tied at this point. I think the only logical thing to do in the down time is to work on writing a creative gem of a rock record to follow this up with.

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 06:32:26 AM »
This is really unfortunate. I was really looking forward to this tour. Bad luck follows these guys but if there is one thing I know it's that these guys didn't make it this far by quitting. They will push forward. I bet they come out the gate stong and hungry for the summer touring season. I do feel that this Perdida album will get the same odd promotional treatment that No. 4 got. What are they to do though? Their hands are tied at this point. I think the only logical thing to do in the down time is to work on writing a creative gem of a rock record to follow this up with.

I agree the only logical thing to do is to write a new heavier rock record and then in the fall tour with an acoustic set in the middle like they use to do in the past.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2020, 12:50:05 AM »
I agree the only logical thing to do is to write a new heavier rock record and then in the fall tour with an acoustic set in the middle like they use to do in the past.

I don't know that STP's gonna have time for an acoustic set while they are opening for Nickelback. The best chance the songs off this album have of being played live are if they manage to reschedule this acoustic tour.

I'm reminded of the Foo Fighters double album In Your Honor. The acoustic side of that record is amazing, probably the best single disc of music the Foo Fighters have released. They also almost never play a single song off it besides "Cold Day in the Sun" since they did their acoustic tour in 2006. I imagine Perdida will go the same way... Probably worse off, because they'll only play at most 6 songs off the record if they ever do tour it.

I do agree that the next step the band needs to take is to make a heavy rock record. I think they should follow what Brendan did with Core and Purple... Just set up as a band in Bombshelter studios and track as much of the album live as possible with minimal overdubs. Go back to the classic raw STP sound, and make something heavy enough to hopefully make it onto rock radio.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2020, 07:27:47 PM »
I saw an article about how we might not get back to large gatherings such as concerts until the summer of 2021. This could mark the end of any hope to a acoustic tour.