September 24, 2024, 04:21:04 AM

Author Topic: Modzilla  (Read 11840 times)

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Modzilla
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 06:02:19 AM »
I know the song isn't about a web browser but when I hear the name Modzilla that's all I can think about.

Maybe it's about Mary? like Godzilla?

littlelamb222

• my love is cool
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
I know the song isn't about a web browser but when I hear the name Modzilla that's all I can think about.

Maybe it's about Mary? like Godzilla?

Haha I thought the same thing about the web browser thing. I thought it was just me that remembered that, but apparently someone else did too.
I also was thinking of the Mary thing, but I didn't wanna be that person that said it. Because I'm pretty sure you guys would say she's talking about Mary... again. But yeah I totally agree with you on it being about Mary. It sounds like a I "Hate" my ex wife but I really don't song. Is it just me? it probably is
"Where did Mary go... fluffy pillows... she swam away..." Ah shit!

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 02:18:58 PM »
Mozilla! That's what it is.

...*web browser, not song pirating website
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 02:53:02 PM »
Haha! I hadn't even thought of Mozilla Firefox when seeing the song title...whatever, the quality of the song is what really matters. I probably wouldn't have been crazy about the album titles "Tiny Music...Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop" or "Shangri-La Dee Da" when they were announced but I love the albums so it doesn't matter
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

ejsme

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 05:52:43 PM »
Definitely a happening tune. I like the whole vibe of the band and the stop-start single note riffs are very cool. Nothing earth-shattering but neat all the same.

So far, my only concern is the melodies. Scott is pretty much following the chords in every new song, he's not using any counter melodies or sliding around in the classic SW style. It will be interesting to hear what he does with backing vox on this record.

All in all, a promising group and I also hope the album does really well.

Very good point! I wonder if it's because he's jamming more with the band to write the songs instead of being presented with music like the Deleos did and then he'd listen and write melodies to it. Maybe he can't think as complexly about the melodies when he's developing them on the fly with the band playing. I don't know...

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 06:57:43 PM »
I'm assuming it's called Modzilla because the riff seems very inspired by Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 07:59:50 PM »
Song sounds good, for sure. Definitely a strong one, I could see why it would be a single. As far as the song title is concerned, my mind immediately jumps to A.) the mod music/fashion subculture from the 60's/70's. B.) Mod, in correlation with the modding of vehicles. The song generally has this real garage feel and sounds like something inspired by either of the things I mentioned. Either way, I like the title.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 12:21:10 AM »
Definitely a happening tune. I like the whole vibe of the band and the stop-start single note riffs are very cool. Nothing earth-shattering but neat all the same.

So far, my only concern is the melodies. Scott is pretty much following the chords in every new song, he's not using any counter melodies or sliding around in the classic SW style. It will be interesting to hear what he does with backing vox on this record.

Very good point! I wonder if it's because he's jamming more with the band to write the songs instead of being presented with music like the Deleos did and then he'd listen and write melodies to it. Maybe he can't think as complexly about the melodies when he's developing them on the fly with the band playing. I don't know...

His melodies weren't too complex in S/T, either. I think that's just how he's writing now.

But yeah, this is definitely a really good track. Like he's been saying, it has a garage rock sound. This is shaping up to be a darn good album.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

OnlyDying

• Co-Pilot
  • "Purple Flowers Ease The Pain..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »
YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Adhesive Love"

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 08:57:06 PM »

His melodies weren't too complex in S/T, either. I think that's just how he's writing now.

Yeah, I agree pretty much with both of you. I do think there were some slinky ones on S/T - Hazy Daze & Peacoat for example - even when the music was more basic as it is now. I'd just like to hear a couple of curveball melodies like those.

It's all good so far though.

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "so much depends on the weather"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 10:07:25 PM »
Here's my "CIRCLES" capture from the same gig -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sueBvgJGWDA
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »
Anyone expect this to be released next week as Scott mentions in the video?  No official announcement has been posted on his website or facebook....

I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

littlelamb222

• my love is cool
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2014, 06:57:40 PM »
Anyone expect this to be released next week as Scott mentions in the video?  No official announcement has been posted on his website or facebook....

Oh man I so hope it's released next week. I mean they moved the album released date to Feb so the least we could get is a single. Crossing my fingers
"Where did Mary go... fluffy pillows... she swam away..." Ah shit!

VegasCrackerman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "so much depends on the weather"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 10:11:01 PM »
2016 Concerts:
6/3 Vanilla Ice
6/8 The Cure
6/25 Public Enemy

Purple