October 04, 2024, 07:11:16 PM

Author Topic: Slash Says VR Will Someday Find New Singer, Couldn't Suffer Through Weiland  (Read 4960 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I know Slash is doing well with Myles right now, but they aren't doing VR sized shows. The fact that he won't even entertain working with Scott again is very telling.
They must have had an awful time with him between substance abuse and ego-tripping, because as far as performances, he was still carrying his weight (the last few times i saw them).
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Spin alert

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
Of course VR will be back at some point, there's more money to be made there than as Slash ft. Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators. Personally, I don't get why people like Myles. His song writing isn't anything great and his voice just isn't that impressive, to me, he comes across as very generic. I've tried to support Slash because I am a fan of his, but his most recent record is just very meh. Hell, Apocalyptic Love only truly had a few decent tracks. At this point, I'd love to hear someone new sing for VR, maybe it'll bring back some of Slashs ability to make good songs.

XxCollinsxX

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
the only way i could ever image vr doing a tour or festival is if they make a scott sign a contract that he will get paid per gig (almost like a hired gun) if he's late he doesn't get paid,hammered,not getting paid. and i don't see that happening either. I'm sure scott would get his shit together for the money id hope.

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
It's true that Slash isn't playing VR-sized gigs, but even if VR reunited with Scott tomorrow they wouldn't be playing huge gigs. It's been a long time since VR's heyday. Some fans would care - I'm sure most of the people on this board would, including me - but would the rest of the world really care? Scott clearly isn't drawing many fans to his solo shows, so a VR reunion isn't going to pack 20,000 seat arenas.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Shouldn't Slash, Matt, and Duff just team up with Myles Kennedy already? After that Guns 'n' Roses Hall of Fame induction ceremony, it seemed pretty clear that that line-up could kill it.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
Shouldn't Slash, Matt, and Duff just team up with Myles Kennedy already? After that Guns 'n' Roses Hall of Fame induction ceremony, it seemed pretty clear that that line-up could kill it.
You'd think, but Myles has never seemed to buy into the whole VR thing, even when they were forming. He was given the chance to join before Scott and turned it down then too. I don't know if he just doesn't want the stigma of replacing scott or what.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
You'd think, but Myles has never seemed to buy into the whole VR thing, even when they were forming. He was given the chance to join before Scott and turned it down then too. I don't know if he just doesn't want the stigma of replacing scott or what.

It seems funny that the guy is willing to record and tour with Slash, and play with most of the classic GnR line-up at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but touring and recording with most of the classic GnR is out of the question.

And I don't know if Kennedy is a fit for "Velvet Revovler", but rather a new project with Slash, Duff, and Sorum that would enable them to play both G'n'R and VR's back catalogs, along with new material.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Can't be just Kennedy's choice. I'm guessing at least one member of VR doesn't want him.

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Can't be just Kennedy's choice. I'm guessing at least one member of VR doesn't want him.

Agree, plus it really wouldn't make sense. Slash already has Miles for his solo act, and he can have two touring acts if VR gets a singer other than Miles. If Kennedy sings for both bands, would fans really differentiate solo Slash from VR? Same singer, same lead guitarist. And, would Slash want to be that dependent on Miles, who also has Alterbridge?

Slash's band sounded really tight on Stern last week (though he called them 'The Conquistadors') but their names are unfamiliar to me. It made me wonder about the division of funds. Does each member of VR earn 20%? Possibly, but there's no way Slash doesn't get a bigger piece of the pie when solo. All things being equal, it benefits Slash more to be solo rather than in VR. If this wasn't the case, VR would've found a singer by now.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Apparently Velvet Revolver has offered Myles the position multiple times, so it seems he's the guy they want for the job, but he just doesn't want to do it because of commitments to Alter Bridge.

As far as Slash having two touring acts, I don't know if that would really work out. If Velvet Revolver kicks into high gear, that would take a lot of time away from Slash's solo efforts. Furthermore, interest in seeing Slash with a bunch of touring musicians would dwindle if people actually had a chance to see him with Duff and Sorum.

It may really just be down to Slash. If he were honestly committed to VR, he'd drop the solo gig, allowing Myles to split his time between VR and Alter Bridge like he currently is between Slash and Alter Bridge. But like Strat said, Slash gets a bigger piece of this way.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
One key thing here. Myles does a good job on the GNR material, but boy is he underwhelming on the VR stuff. Exampl: Slither. Just doesn't have "it".
I think Myles is great in AB but don't think he compliments Slash's style well.
Nobody is Scott. But a reunion seems all but impossible.
Quite frankly, while I don't think he's the right guy, I gotta be honest and say I'm a little intrigued by those Corey Taylor sessions that Slash poopoo'd.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19