September 24, 2024, 04:34:21 AM

Author Topic: Scott Interview - 91X (Video)  (Read 8807 times)

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Interview - 91X (Video)
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 04:29:23 PM »
I think it seems extremely crazy and unfair to the people here to say that.

Everybody here is a big STP fan, most of us very long term, since the band isn't exactly picking up very many new fans. People have had their problems with Scott's behaviour, and many people are accepting of the decision to move on without him, but I have never seen even an inkling of anybody doing down Scott's huge contribution to the band or belittling his undeniable talent.

Again, it's hypothetical so it's not like somebody here said that, nor am I referring to everyone here. It's just that small, but vocal minority, on both sides, that take a positive post and revert to the old STP vs Scott argument. But this all retracts from my original issue, which was Scott's drummer preference and why it doesn't matter.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 04:47:14 PM »
All this aside,

It seems Scott is very excited about this new material. Can't wait to hear it. Hope there is some great guitar work there as well.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 06:50:12 PM »
Scott once said Slash was the best guitarist he's ever played with. He's no stranger to hyperbole and has a history of saying stuff like this. And the likelihood is that neither Eric, nor Matt, nor any other drummer he's played with are seeking out interviews with Scott.

That said, didn't like it with Slash, don't like it here, and I agree it comes across poorly. I also doubt he's never been this excited since Core. Hyperbole.

He still sounds good and glad he seems happy.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »

That said, didn't like it with Slash, don't like it here, and I agree it comes across poorly. I also doubt he's never been this excited since Core. Hyperbole.

He said Libertad was the most excited he'd been since Purple.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

stp4ever

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 08:49:18 PM »
As far as I remember, Scott said slash was the best *lead* guitar player he had ever played with. I think at the time we took that as an important distinction.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 01:20:45 AM »

He said Libertad was the most excited he'd been since Purple.

I don't have any problem with that. Libertad is a very good album imo and cohesive too.

It is somewhat ironic that SW was energised by being back with Brendan and having to be in the same room as the rest of the band when he has seemingly tried to avoid that at all costs otherwise but there you go.

I'm not bothered by who said what about "the best" - we all know who are the best musicians to be playing together.  ;)

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 02:32:14 AM »
Every musician says the "best I've ever since.."  every time they're working on something so you go out and buy it. It's their job.
If you only knew..

kravdog

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 02:39:06 AM »
Every musician says the "best I've ever since.."  every time they're working on something so you go out and buy it. It's their job.

Big Bang baby, it's a crash, crash, crash

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 02:40:07 AM »

Yep.  Billy Corgan is a perfect example of this.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 06:24:48 PM »
If there's one thing about this band I'm not crazy about, it's Danny the drummer. To even suggest he's on the same level as Kretz or Sorum is frankly insulting. I'm not a huge fan of Sorum, either, he's a little too switchy between flashy and technical for my taste. But Kretz is a nasty raw/groove drummer. Danny might have a more identifiable pocket, which is what Weiland has referenced in the past as preferring. But Danny is not a "better" drummer than Kretz. It's not even close honestly. But that's just personal opinion I guess. I consider Danny a below average drummer personally.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »
He also said Duff is the best bass player he played with when he was in VR. And I think Duff would tell you Rob owns him. Again, not even close.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 06:35:31 PM »
This is dumb. Whoever Scott is playing with at the time is the best _________ he's ever played with. It's a matter of boosting confidence and living in the moment rather than speaking what he truly believes. The best part is, he can never be wrong because it's entirely subjective. In certain ways, Slash is a better guitarist than Dean. In other ways, Dean completely blows him out of the water. I'm sure there are even certain ways Danny is better than Kretz. It's probably one of 100 different ways one drummer can be superior to another, but I'm sure it's there.

Anyway, bring on the album. I'm ready.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »
In certain ways, Slash is a better guitarist than Dean.

Never in a million years. it's not even a contest.

If there's one thing about this band I'm not crazy about, it's Danny the drummer. To even suggest he's on the same level as Kretz or Sorum is frankly insulting. I'm not a huge fan of Sorum, either, he's a little too switchy between flashy and technical for my taste.

Matt Sorum is a very good drummer. His technique is impeccable and he has great feel.

But Eric is God. Not Clapton but Kretz.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2014, 01:14:42 AM »
The best part is, he can never be wrong because it's entirely subjective. In certain ways, Slash is a better guitarist than Dean. In other ways, Dean completely blows him out of the water. I'm sure there are even certain ways Danny is better than Kretz. It's probably one of 100 different ways one drummer can be superior to another, but I'm sure it's there.

Anyway, bring on the album. I'm ready.

The Slash vs. Dean debate is a good one. Slash is MUCH faster. He just shreds and Dean can't shred at that speed on that level. But Dean is the most tasteful guitar player I have ever heard in my life. He puts little nuances and snippets here and there that are just magical touches. He plays to the song. Slash is sloppy and all over the place. Both are good in different ways, but my taste prefers Dean because he just always instinctively knows what to play at the perfect moment. That's a real gift that few guitar players have. He feels music in a way that few do, always play interesting chords. He's the closest thing we've had to Jimmy Page. Slash is a different animal, but the shredders out there worship him. Rightfully so. I think Dean's style is much better for songwriting.

The Danny vs. Kretz debate, on the other hand, is stupid. That's like comparing Scott Stapp to Robert Plant. One is a marquee icon, one sucks. And I'll give you a hint, Kretz doesn't suck. There is zero comparison between Kretz and this guy. He's a fine drummer. At times he's annoying, other he's fine. He's just "a guy" hired to play in Scott Weiland's solo band. Kretz has a unique style that set a trend. There is zero comparison possible. I'm sorry.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 01:19:15 AM »

If there's one thing about this band I'm not crazy about, it's Danny the drummer. To even suggest he's on the same level as Kretz or Sorum is frankly insulting. I'm not a huge fan of Sorum, either, he's a little too switchy between flashy and technical for my taste.

Matt Sorum is a very good drummer. His technique is impeccable and he has great feel.

But Eric is God. Not Clapton but Kretz.

Sorum is a very good drummer. No doubt about it. I'm not saying he's not good, I'm just saying I don't like his style all that much. I much prefer Danny Carey, Kretz. The guy in Sevendust is really flashy but I feel like his fills are less "hey everybody look at me how good I am". The dude is Army of Anyone over played too but if you listen to "Ain't Enough" he plays that more nasty and restrained like Kretz. That's my favorite song on the album because he lays it so THICK and nasty. Plays it just like Eric would IMO. Speaking of the Dean Deleo little magic touches, Ain't Enough has some real cool stuff thrown in. Go listen to that song. Man they really nailed it.