October 02, 2024, 03:27:29 AM

Author Topic: Purple 20th Anniversary  (Read 11699 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
Re: Purple 20th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 10:34:40 PM »
Yesterday went by largely unnoticed.  I saw one article that accused "Kitchenware and Candybars" of being a Pearl Jam ripoff, and accusing Scott of ripping off Anthony Kiedis on "Lounge Fly."  I'd have written something but not much interest unless I have an interview.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 10:36:32 PM »
I'm all for new music from CheSTP, but I feel Purple anniversary shows would be a big let down without Scott. I'd rather this new lineup just looked forward, I couldn't get nostalgic about the album with Chester up there singing it.

A rerelease like the one you outline would definitely be the way to go.

I hear you, but at the same time it would be more disappointing for them just to go on another greatest hits tour. I think what they need to do is try to celebrate the music of Purple and it's impact, and IMO they can still do that with Chester.

I just don't think they should go overboard. Instead of a huge year-long tour, just 2 or 3 months of special Purple shows... And instead of playing Purple cover to cover, just play a full setlist with all the songs from Purple sprinkled throughout it.

EDIT: Would anyone (besides those who object ChesTP in general) object to a set like this?

1.   Meatplow
2.   Vasoline
3.   Wicked Garden
4.   Big Bang Baby
5.   Lounge Fly
6.   Out of Time
7.   Still Remains
8.   Army Ants

(Acoustic/Semi-Acoustic miniset)
9.   Sour Girl
10.   Wonderful
11.   Pretty Penny
12.   Tomorrow

13.   Silvergun Superman
14.   Big Empty
15.   Black Heart
16.   Interstate Love Song
17.   Kitchenware & Candybars
18.   Sex Type Thing

(Encore)
19.   Dead And Bloated
20.   Unglued
21.   Trippin’

I don't think that will happen.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 11:02:12 PM »
I hear you, but at the same time it would be more disappointing for them just to go on another greatest hits tour. I think what they need to do is try to celebrate the music of Purple and it's impact, and IMO they can still do that with Chester.

I just don't think they should go overboard. Instead of a huge year-long tour, just 2 or 3 months of special Purple shows... And instead of playing Purple cover to cover, just play a full setlist with all the songs from Purple sprinkled throughout it.

EDIT: Would anyone (besides those who object ChesTP in general) object to a set like this?

1.   Meatplow
2.   Vasoline
3.   Wicked Garden
4.   Big Bang Baby
5.   Lounge Fly
6.   Out of Time
7.   Still Remains
8.   Army Ants

(Acoustic/Semi-Acoustic miniset)
9.   Sour Girl
10.   Wonderful
11.   Pretty Penny
12.   Tomorrow

13.   Silvergun Superman
14.   Big Empty
15.   Black Heart
16.   Interstate Love Song
17.   Kitchenware & Candybars
18.   Sex Type Thing

(Encore)
19.   Dead And Bloated
20.   Unglued
21.   Trippin’

I don't think that will happen.

No, it probably won't.. Which is kind of sad, because it's not all that unreasonable. Kitchenware is the only Purple song that hasn't been part of their 'greatest hits' setlist... Just adding that to what they've been doing for the last 5 years would basically give you a Purple setlist... And while I don't want them to spend the next year milking Purple, it would be nice for them to acknowledge the impact of the album during their regular shows at the end of the year before they (hopefully) head into the studio to record new material.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 11:14:23 PM »
Blue, that is a great setlist.  That would be a hell of show.

But the guys have been out of public eye. It wasn't like last year where they had momentum.  They now have to go back and pull the fans in, especially the Core-era fans. They'll have to play the hits again with maybe a new song here-ish and there-ish.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 09:26:10 AM »
I certainly wouldn't object to that setlist.

RCLAR

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »
I remember being very excited when STP got back together for a lot of reasons, but one of them were definitely the fact (or what I thought would be a fact) that something cool would happen around the time Purple's 20th came around. I would have loved a repackaged, blu-ray audio with maybe a blu-ray live show, documentary or various live performances of some kind. Maybe one day if Scott's healthy and the stars align, they'll do an anthology release or something, but until then, I'm not sure their former label would put much effort into such a release without the original band being able to promote it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:54:31 AM by RCLAR »
Karma schmarma.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 07:50:43 PM »
I'm not sure their former label would put much effort into such a release without the original band being able to promote it.

New lead singers have never stopped labels from re-releasing albums. If Atlantic saw money in a re-issue, they'd release it regardless of the band's current status. Remember, the label doesn't get money from them touring, just from album sales.

However, the talk of record labels brings up a very good point. STP is independent now. Them no longer being signed to Atlantic could very well have something to do with the lack of a reissue.

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 07:59:05 PM »
I don't care too much about the lack of a Purple reissue, I doubt there's much bonus stuff there.  It just would have been nice to at least see the band maybe share some rare stuff to commemorate the occasion.

Core is something that would have been worth a reissue had they included Unplugged on DVD/CD and the Mighty Joe Young demos.  Without those though I wouldn't have bought it.  The only reissue I've ever bought was Pearl Jam's since it included their Unplugged session and unreleased tracks/demos.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »
The thing is that you no longer have to go into production to put something like this out. True, you'd have to pay someone, perhaps O'Brien, to go through some of the stuff and mix or remix it, but otherwise, once it's all mastered, it could be digitally released with no further costs.

I was a guy that had one of those 200 CD cases that I took everywhere. Now I take my iPod Classic. All my CDs are in storage. I rarely buy any anymore. The last two physical CDs I purchased were Black Gives Way to Blue and High Rise.

I would LOVE to hear an album of demos, any b-sides that exist, even if in primitive form, and various other gems. I'm completely interested in their creative process. I think if they promoted it right that they could do a reissue. They wouldn't even need to play the album in its entirety--just a tour would be enough, even a small one. And if one of the "new" tracks/b-sides could be a single, then they'd sell a decent amount.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 11:08:04 PM »
I don't care too much about the lack of a Purple reissue, I doubt there's much bonus stuff there.  It just would have been nice to at least see the band maybe share some rare stuff to commemorate the occasion.

Core is something that would have been worth a reissue had they included Unplugged on DVD/CD and the Mighty Joe Young demos.  Without those though I wouldn't have bought it.  The only reissue I've ever bought was Pearl Jam's since it included their Unplugged session and unreleased tracks/demos.

There are literally no extra songs from the Purple sessions, that's true. But they've had an entire pro-shot concert from that era, already mixed by Brendan O'Brien, just sitting in their closet for the last 20 years. With the current theme bands are taking of releasing old shows with reissues, I had hoped just a tiny bit that they would think about releasing that concert along side a remaster of Purple.

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 11:39:47 PM »

There are literally no extra songs from the Purple sessions, that's true. But they've had an entire pro-shot concert from that era, already mixed by Brendan O'Brien, just sitting in their closet for the last 20 years. With the current theme bands are taking of releasing old shows with reissues, I had hoped just a tiny bit that they would think about releasing that concert along side a remaster of Purple.

I'd rather just see a DVD release.  I don't think any of that will happen though until the 60 year old everybody's got grey hair STP reunion.

RCLAR

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 01:33:26 AM »
I'm not sure their former label would put much effort into such a release without the original band being able to promote it.

New lead singers have never stopped labels from re-releasing albums. If Atlantic saw money in a re-issue, they'd release it regardless of the band's current status. Remember, the label doesn't get money from them touring, just from album sales.

However, the talk of record labels brings up a very good point. STP is independent now. Them no longer being signed to Atlantic could very well have something to do with the lack of a reissue.

Sure, other bands that are of iconic status, but not a band like STP. Even though STP aren't with Atlantic, Atlantic would still re-release the album, as you said, had there been an automatic market for it, however, the only way they would have even thought about doing something like that now would've been if STP's original lineup still been intact and able to promote it just by being a successful, functional band, regardless of them being on Atlantic's roster.
Karma schmarma.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 03:46:27 AM »
This band is so dysfunctional they couldn't even agree on celebrating Core. Purple?  The original four will never share a stage together ever again. I predict one of the Deleos or maybe both bite the dust. Then maybe Kretzel bangs out STT one night when Scott's passing through town.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 04:25:22 AM »
This band is so dysfunctional they couldn't even agree on celebrating Core. Purple?  The original four will never share a stage together ever again. I predict one of the Deleos or maybe both bite the dust. Then maybe Kretzel bangs out STT one night when Scott's passing through town.
What a pessimistic and morbid outlook
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 04:25:37 AM »
I predict one of the Deleos or maybe both bite the dust.