October 01, 2024, 12:24:15 PM

Author Topic: 3 albums in 6 years, the fans feel "robbed"  (Read 7931 times)

Toxic34

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: 3 albums in 6 years, the fans feel "robbed"
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 11:09:52 PM »
All the money in the world probably couldn't paper over all the differences or get them into anything remotely cohesive.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 04:04:36 AM »
Scott's death is a tragedy within it's self, however, at an artist level, the sad reality that there will be no more STP records with Scott is depressing. Could you imagine how far across the spectrum STP could have gone if they had made it to 10 studio albums together? Truly sad.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 12:12:59 AM »
I'll bet Rob/Dean/Eric would have preferred for that Talk Show record to be an STP record (or a 2nd disc to Tiny Music).  One of STP's biggest missed opportunities to me though is the 2000's, not the 90's.  That '2nd wind' of popularity Scott had with VR when Contraband came out could have been a 2nd wind in STP's career that established them as one of the top rock heavyweights of the last 20 years.  I think even after that missed chance they missed another with the 2008 reunion.  The self-titled album, while not a big hit by any means, was a respectable return to form (#2 debut, nice critical reviews that acknowledged that they were wrong to rip STP in the 90's) but they never played too much of it live, remaining stuck in the 90's with the setlist.  Not releasing a followup 2-3 years later was another missed opportunity, if they could have done that it would have established them as a veteran act that was really looking to add to their catalog/make up for lost time.  I get that Scott's a colossal pain in the ass, but I wish they could at least just record separately like self-titled and pop out albums every few years, even without touring.  Those four guys were put on this earth to create music together, seems like such a waste that they're not.  It's kind of just hitting me a year later now after all the hype has died down how fucked this all is.

I've said something like this since the firing.  They obviously do not get along for long periods of time.......Scott's terrible in long stretches/hard to put up with.  The play after ST was to lay low for a couple of years.  Instead they botch the Core anniversary and then tour greatest hits??  Bad decision.  But their career is littered with bad decisions.  Who remembers Dean going to radio stations whining that Scott's addicted and then cancelling the KISS tour back in the day?  The Deleos have consistently done one thing since inception of STP and that was to overreact to Scott.  They consistently throw Scott under the bus publicly.  Just bad for the brand and the fans.  I've heard Metallica say this before.  Protect Metallica at all costs.  Hetfield is an 'f-up, too.  You don't see them pulling this shit.  They protect the brand.  The Deleos do the opposite.  Totally frustrating.                   

UGH.  Protect the brand?!  I can't believe you're actually saying this.  If it was either the STP years we got, or the "Brand Years" where the band is always pointed toward True North and whatever other bullshit corporate America speak we can come up with then I'm very happy with what we got.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Long Way Home

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 02:42:30 AM »
You do realize the comment was made 18 months ago, right?

18 months ago, when the comment was made, it was absolutely appropriate. If it was made now, it would just be in poor taste.

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 05:28:53 PM »
You do realize the comment was made 18 months ago, right?

18 months ago, when the comment was made, it was absolutely appropriate. If it was made now, it would just be in poor taste.

I don't agree.

I'm glad I never had to hear them talk about how important it was to push the brand.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."