June 27, 2024, 10:11:47 PM

Author Topic: Scott Updates?  (Read 7945 times)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Updates?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »
He can't win.

One of the BEST SW shows I've ever been to was after his book signing in NYC in 2011.  It was nothing but covers until 'Unglued' as an encore.  He played songs that HE ENJOYS! Because he enjoyed them, he was into it, and the show was great. 

BUT... then you had a crowd full of assholes, forever living in the past, half drunk, desperately clinging onto their younger 90's days, all upset they can't hear 'Plush' for the 7,000th time.  Before Scott's "Purple at the Core", he would address the belligerent crowds chanting for "STP", and tell them that this is a Scott Weiland show, NOT an STP show.

I get it, you want to hear "the hits", but then why does everyone complain about repetitious set-lists?  Scott wants to make music and preform... but if he's boo'd and pestered every time he does something different, then all we're ever gonna get is the same old, phoned-in "greatest hits".  If people were REAL FANS, they'd go to see an artist they like preform what he likes...
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »
He can't win.

One of the BEST SW shows I've ever been to was after his book signing in NYC in 2011.  It was nothing but covers until 'Unglued' as an encore.  He played songs that HE ENJOYS! Because he enjoyed them, he was into it, and the show was great. 

BUT... then you had a crowd full of assholes, forever living in the past, half drunk, desperately clinging onto their younger 90's days, all upset they can't hear 'Plush' for the 7,000th time.  Before Scott's "Purple at the Core", he would address the belligerent crowds chanting for "STP", and tell them that this is a Scott Weiland show, NOT an STP show.

I get it, you want to hear "the hits", but then why does everyone complain about repetitious set-lists?  Scott wants to make music and preform... but if he's boo'd and pestered every time he does something different, then all we're ever gonna get is the same old, phoned-in "greatest hits".  If people were REAL FANS, they'd go to see an artist they like preform what he likes...

A majority of people on this board won't even go to see the show for whatever reason.  He's late, he's drunk, his setlist sucks, it's too expensive, they don't want to support his questionable personal indulgences cause they don't want to see him die(did I miss one?).  But then they'll pull some not so great song from youtube where Scott's pitchy or the band doesn't play like the Deleos and shit on him all over again.  These shows are not intended to be big budget productions and sound pitch perfect.  They're imperfect takes on songs he chooses to play on his terms. 

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 08:27:23 PM »
These shows are not intended to be big budget productions and sound pitch perfect.  They're imperfect takes on songs he chooses to play on his terms.
Well, if that's the case, then his ticket prices are waaay out of line with his intentions.

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 08:30:35 PM »
These shows are not intended to be big budget productions and sound pitch perfect.  They're imperfect takes on songs he chooses to play on his terms.
Well, if that's the case, then his ticket prices are waaay out of line with his intentions.
If I wanted to hear some bad karaoke I can go to town on Saturday nights. With free coffee.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 01:20:32 AM »

A majority of people on this board won't even go to see the show for whatever reason.  He's late, he's drunk, his setlist sucks, it's too expensive, they don't want to support his questionable personal indulgences cause they don't want to see him die(did I miss one?).  But then they'll pull some not so great song from youtube where Scott's pitchy or the band doesn't play like the Deleos and shit on him all over again.  These shows are not intended to be big budget productions and sound pitch perfect.  They're imperfect takes on songs he chooses to play on his terms.

Yeah, lots of bad excuses being thrown around, but there are a few I can understand. And I certainly understand those who don't want to see Scott b/c he's not performing at the caliber that he used to.  But, the people who go to Scott shows expecting a STP concert are fucken retarded... not to mention, usually the ones being obnoxiously loud & drunk.

Sure, some of these shows are small, and after the damage he's done to his body, he's not the same person he was 20 years ago... but I still enjoy listening to him sing, and watching him perform.  It would be foolish to expect the same performance from 1995.

If I wanted to hear some bad karaoke I can go to town on Saturday nights. With free coffee.

OR... you could go see CheSTP. 

Difference is, at least Scott is changing things up, doing original material, and in some cases new material.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 01:44:57 AM »
My comment to changing up the setlist is in regards to the fact that both he AND the STP camp religiously say "we're going to change it up this tour" and the result winds up being 2 setlists in which a single song changes.

Not to mention, he hasn't really backed much of his solo catalogue the past few years and VR material barely at all (both are material I really enjoy).

To any well established artist not named Bruce Springsteen or Pearl Jam (naturally a few others as well), you are going to hear devoted fans wishing they could hear deeper tracks and setlist shuffling.  The only negativity is frustration because we can't get enough!

If this pic is an honest intention and a start of rolling setlists with something more than the greatest hits you bet your ass I'll be the first one to buy a ticket.

The $75 price tag is a bit rough.  I don't know if he hits Canada quite as hard as he is this time around, so I'm hoping the higher prices are because there's a much bigger demand there.
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 02:25:16 AM »
My comment to changing up the setlist is in regards to the fact that both he AND the STP camp religiously say "we're going to change it up this tour" and the result winds up being 2 setlists in which a single song changes.

Not to mention, he hasn't really backed much of his solo catalogue the past few years and VR material barely at all (both are material I really enjoy).

To any well established artist not named Bruce Springsteen or Pearl Jam (naturally a few others as well), you are going to hear devoted fans wishing they could hear deeper tracks and setlist shuffling.  The only negativity is frustration because we can't get enough!

If this pic is an honest intention and a start of rolling setlists with something more than the greatest hits you bet your ass I'll be the first one to buy a ticket.

The $75 price tag is a bit rough.  I don't know if he hits Canada quite as hard as he is this time around, so I'm hoping the higher prices are because there's a much bigger demand there.

I totally agree. 

That's kinda what I meant when I said "Scott can't win".  If he plays all obscure/deep tracks then he'll alienate the nostalgia crowd, which usually outnumbers the hardcore fans.  So, he & STP hardly change their sets. 

I've never been a PJ fan, but they really are great band to be a fan of.  Their shows, tickets, merchandise, everything... it's all done so much better than most bands, especially STP.  It's such a shame, because there's so much material that COULD be released or played, but never sees the light of day.  And $75 is a bit absurd... especially when fees can kick that into the $100 range. 

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 01:31:54 PM »
The setlist debate is so tired at this point. The fact of the matter is, we as ultra die hard STP fans represent about 0.1% of the STP fan population. The other 99.9% has never heard Bi-Polar Bear or Adhesive and would rather just hear the hits when they see Scott or CheSTP. They're naturally going to cater to this overwhelming majority and not have everyone take their piss breaks during Ride the Cliche. This is the way it is and it's never going to change, especially now.

It's worth noting though, that Scott has done a way better job of switching it up at his solo shows than CheSTP has at theirs. Granted, he doesn't bother rehearsing the songs and doesn't know half the words but hey at least he's giving it a shot, amirite?!?!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:35:44 PM by Slither »
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »
The setlist debate is so tired at this point. The fact of the matter is, we as ultra die hard STP fans represent about 0.1% of the STP fan population. The other 99.9% has never heard Bi-Polar Bear or Adhesive and would rather just hear the hits when they see Scott or CheSTP. They're naturally going to cater to this overwhelming majority and not have everyone take their piss breaks during Ride the Cliche. This is the way it is and it's never going to change, especially now.

It's worth noting though, that Scott has done a way better job of switching it up at his solo shows than CheSTP has at theirs. Granted, he doesn't bother rehearsing the songs and doesn't know half the words but hey at least he's giving it a shot, amirite?!?!
I believe we have hope with CheSTP. They may be able to bring in a new audience with Chester. Playing "Church On Tuesday" and others like that lead me to believe we will hear a selection of deep cuts.

Toxic34

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 04:38:06 PM »
By the way, why do you think CheSTP has decided not to play Plush at their shows? Do they think no one will ever accept anyone other than Scott singing it?

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 04:49:20 PM »
This might be true, but based on the quality of his performances, it would really be better if he didn't.

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 05:38:59 PM »
Despite last years reviews, it seems as though a lot of people are excited to see him (at least from what I can see on Facebook and Twitter). I hope he doesn't fuck it up this time.
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 07:23:24 PM »
This might be true, but based on the quality of his performances, it would really be better if he didn't.

That was kind of my point. They need to invent sarcasm font already...

We'll see what happens this next tour. For some reason his posts on social media have made him seem like less of a zombie, but I'm not getting my hopes up just to get them dashed again
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 07:25:29 PM by Slither »
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 08:53:46 PM »

That was kind of my point. They need to invent sarcasm font already...

We'll see what happens this next tour. For some reason his posts on social media have made him seem like less of a zombie, but I'm not getting my hopes up just to get them dashed again
Oh, sorry. I tend to be kinda slow anyway, so even if we did have a sarcasm font, I probably still wouldn't get it  lol.

Anyway, I want to be optimistic, too. But it's hard when we've been burned so many times.

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 02:51:40 AM »
Well I'm looking forward to his shows if he plays LA. I remain positive. 

I mean,  take Morrissey. Canceled tours (yes, his mom was ill and then he was ill); canceled shows; short set due to him not liking the wind. Whatever. I still buy tickets every time he comes out to CA. It's all in good fun for me. If he shows, cool. If not, I'll bitch and whine. Then I go get drunk and dance at some concert - related event.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:53:12 AM by Blueberry »