October 02, 2024, 11:28:28 AM

Author Topic: Doug Grean announces the end of his partnetship with Scott  (Read 32691 times)

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Doug Grean announces the end of his partnetship with Scott
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2016, 10:03:09 AM »
Whatever happened between he and Scott I don't think they ever made amends.  A couple weeks before Scott's passing he posted a picture from a tour with Scott to show off shoes or something and someone made the comment something along the lines of "does this mean you and Scott made up" and he replied with a definite no.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2016, 08:30:29 PM »
Whatever happened between he and Scott I don't think they ever made amends.  A couple weeks before Scott's passing he posted a picture from a tour with Scott to show off shoes or something and someone made the comment something along the lines of "does this mean you and Scott made up" and he replied with a definite no.

The only former bandmate Scott actually seemed to be on good terms with was Dave Kushner.  I know he made up with Sorum and possibly Duff and Slash though, but I think Kushner is the only one he was actually on speaking terms with.

Things were still awful with him and the STP guys.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2016, 06:43:50 AM »
So uh Doug and Danny put together a cover band...

https://www.facebook.com/TrueCovers310/videos/1638404396422073/?video_source=pages_finch_main_video&theater

LOL. Fucking terrible. I promised myself I was going to watch and listen to the whole video, but couldn't even make it through a minute and a half. What a dire age for music we live in...

Though it is kind of interesting to know that Danny Thompson is a much better singer than he is a drummer....

Bleeda blooda

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2016, 02:03:36 PM »
So uh Doug and Danny put together a cover band...

https://www.facebook.com/TrueCovers310/videos/1638404396422073/?video_source=pages_finch_main_video&theater

Oh my god, that was hilarious!!
I'm still trying to figure out if it's for real or some sort of parody! How did Doug go from playing with Scott to performing 'Uptown Funk' with a cover band at weddings?! I'm glad to hear he's keeping the noodling/guitar wankery to a minimum these days, in fact I can't hear his guitar playing at all really in that video which is kinda how I like it!
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

psyche

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »
lol

well at least he looks happy.  its all good ;D

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2016, 09:06:33 PM »
Hate to say it, but that is probably the best thing for those guys. I don't fault them. I once played in a cover band, but the point was to eventually do originals, and we did.

Most professional musicians are not doing what we see. My cousin John played in multiple bands--The Blasters, Mike Eldred Trio, a band with one of the former Black Crowes guitarists, and one more--just to make a living. I believe his father passed away and left the family lots of money so he plays in fewer bands now.

Point being that once you get one level below that, the way to make money is to be in a top 40 band like this. If you can get on the wedding circuit and play corporate events and parties, you'll do okay. When another cousin of mine got married, she used a live band that Oprah had used at some events, and they were great. They could play everything from Sinatra to the Stones to modern pop and everything in betweeen. Multiple instruments and vocalists. You can charge a ton of money on that circuit too.

kilter

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2016, 09:54:30 PM »
Hate to say it, but that is probably the best thing for those guys. I don't fault them. I once played in a cover band, but the point was to eventually do originals, and we did.

Most professional musicians are not doing what we see. My cousin John played in multiple bands--The Blasters, Mike Eldred Trio, a band with one of the former Black Crowes guitarists, and one more--just to make a living. I believe his father passed away and left the family lots of money so he plays in fewer bands now.

Point being that once you get one level below that, the way to make money is to be in a top 40 band like this. If you can get on the wedding circuit and play corporate events and parties, you'll do okay. When another cousin of mine got married, she used a live band that Oprah had used at some events, and they were great. They could play everything from Sinatra to the Stones to modern pop and everything in betweeen. Multiple instruments and vocalists. You can charge a ton of money on that circuit too.

Exactly. I cringed a bit at this video, but if you're a freelance musician (and not, yknow, famous), cover gigs pay the bills. I play in a few different wedding cover bands. lol. They're fine as long as the people are cool, like any job I guess. Here's one of them doing uptown funk (EVERYBODY has to do that tune apparently) https://vimeo.com/145721075

Doug's new band sounds decent, although that is very clearly not a live recording. I hope he's having fun with it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:06:09 PM by kilter »

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2016, 10:17:01 PM »
Bills. I get it. That's all fine and dandy but jeez... these were the guys Scott once chose to be in his band. LMAO.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2016, 10:27:43 PM »
Let's be honest, Doug Grean-era Wildabouts was basically a mediocre cover band that just happened to have Scott Weiland singing in it. Doug, Danny, and Tommy always sounded more like they belonged in a bar band than in Scott Weiland's solo group. Jeremy was the only one consistently worth his weight, and he had to play second fiddle to Doug 'The Noodler" Grean.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2016, 10:45:30 PM »
Oh man, this is just sad.

On the other hand, I do have a wedding coming up...
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2016, 02:36:50 AM »
Oh man, this is just sad.

On the other hand, I do have a wedding coming up...

You can do better.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2016, 09:47:48 AM »
Joey Belladonna from Anthrax has a covers band where he plays drums and sings, and often plays gigs to like 5 people. It's fairly common for musicians to do this for a few extra quid, especially these days.

Although Joey's band is actually quite good. This band sucks.

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2016, 10:44:21 AM »
I thought they were fine. 

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2016, 01:32:23 PM »
I hadnt seen that video yet... my god, that was terrible. I would do it for fun, but not as my job. After working with someone like Scott Weiland for +10 years this would be a massive setback. Doug is good in the studio, I really enjoyed what he did with HIG, pretty much enabling Scott to perform his art with a solid sound. Every track in the 2 albums is coherent and nicely done. Paralysis got to be one of my favourite songs of all time; I still love the intro and the solo as much as I did the first time I heard it. On top of everything, I genuinely consider Doug to be a good guy, and I wish him the best as a musician, but this is just wrong.

As for Danny.... wasnt he playing with another big named band not too long ago?
Seems like you left me when you broke down