October 02, 2024, 05:29:56 PM

Author Topic: New Interview Richard Patrick talks Scott Weiland says hes sick and needs help!!  (Read 15083 times)

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Scott's voice may not sound as good as it used to, but he still sounded great on BOTH Velvet Revolver albums, Self Titled, Happy In Galoshes, and his Christmas album. 
I agree with most of this but strongly disagree with him sounding "great" on the Christmas album. He sounded "pretty good" on 2-3 of the songs; the rest were garbage. He sounded drunk and lazy, wobbling in and out of tune, and going way overboard impersonating old Christmas crooners. It was far from great.
I agree. Also, his vocals on Self Titled are VERY edited.
I love the album very much, but his vocals are way too overproduced at some points. Also, I remember Dean saying during a recent interview that some of the vocals they received from Scott during the Self Titled sessions was so "interesting" they didn't know what to think....lol

Can you link to this or elaborate? Interested in what context this was said and what he meant exactly...
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Scott's voice may not sound as good as it used to, but he still sounded great on BOTH Velvet Revolver albums, Self Titled, Happy In Galoshes, and his Christmas album. 

I agree with most of this but strongly disagree with him sounding "great" on the Christmas album. He sounded "pretty good" on 2-3 of the songs; the rest were garbage. He sounded drunk and lazy, wobbling in and out of tune, and going way overboard impersonating old Christmas crooners. It was far from great.
I agree. Also, his vocals on Self Titled are VERY edited.
I love the album very much, but his vocals are way too overproduced at some points. Also, I remember Dean saying during a recent interview that some of the vocals they received from Scott during the Self Titled sessions was so "interesting" they didn't know what to think....lol

Ok, maybe he didn't sound as "great" on the Christmas album as he did on other albums.  But in the span of all the professionally recorded songs he's released, I'd say he still has it.  The Christmas album... I could see/hear some drinking being involved, but I don't think it was that bad.  It felt like he just went into one of his voice personas and covered songs he liked.  Unfortunately, he didn't put as much effort into his other cover album.

Again... his voice isn't as good as it was, but that wasn't my point.  It's all just my opinion, but I still think he has the ability to record great songs.  He just doesn't do himself justice with the touring anymore. 

Totally agreed Tyrant.  His vocals on S/T sounded like they had some help (kinda like HIG), but it still sounded good to me.  I feel like if Scott & the boys were on good terms, those "interesting" vocals could have been put to good use, or at least allowed them to experiment a bit more (considering S/T was fairly bland in terms of range compared to older albums).
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I feel like if Scott & the boys were on good terms, those "interesting" vocals could have been put to good use, or at least allowed them to experiment a bit more (considering S/T was fairly bland in terms of range compared to older albums).

See, I think the boys probably did the best they could with what vocals they were given from Scott on S/T.

However, I will agree with you on the whole that Scott still "has it." I truly believe he is capable of still recording and even performing great music. But where all the Scott fanboys are wrong is that his problem is not lack of inspiration. The reality of the situation is that the man clearly has a problem with substance abuse that continues to hinder his professional life.

Some here (you know who you are) seem to think that if Scott were properly inspired, he would either kick the booze (and whatever else he's on) or that his innate awesomeness would shine through so brightly that it wouldn't matter how fucked up he was, he would just produce quality music and performances… As someone with some insight into addiction, I can tell you that's not how it works. Quite the opposite: He's gotta get cleaned up first, then the inspiration will come.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I feel like if Scott & the boys were on good terms, those "interesting" vocals could have been put to good use, or at least allowed them to experiment a bit more (considering S/T was fairly bland in terms of range compared to older albums).

See, I think the boys probably did the best they could with what vocals they were given from Scott on S/T.

However, I will agree with you on the whole that Scott still "has it." I truly believe he is capable of still recording and even performing great music. But where all the Scott fanboys are wrong is that his problem is not lack of inspiration. The reality of the situation is that the man clearly has a problem with substance abuse that continues to hinder his professional life.

Some here (you know who you are) seem to think that if Scott were properly inspired, he would either kick the booze (and whatever else he's on) or that his innate awesomeness would shine through so brightly that it wouldn't matter how fucked up he was, he would just produce quality music and performances… As someone with some insight into addiction, I can tell you that's not how it works. Quite the opposite: He's gotta get cleaned up first, then the inspiration will come.

I think the Deleos stunk up ST.  If they didn't like what he was giving they needed to get it out of him.  And if they couldn't they shouldn't be producing.   

Inspired?  Motivated?  I mean the guy seems to seek out sobriety when he has something important in front of him.  Jail, kids, VR.  Scott will always have his demons even when he's clean.  They'll always get in the way of his professional life even when he's clean.  The guy was a serious cocaine/herion addict.  If he can beat that he can beat anything.............

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Look, I love Scott Weiland as much as anyone here. What separates guys like me from the Scott fanboys around here is that I'm not afraid to call it like it is. Because I understand addiction. Scott's an addict -- this we all know. Right now, he's in "active addiction"; he's "using," and the drug he's using right now is alcohol. Addicts can't drink, because alcohol is just another drug, and a really fucking nasty one if you're an addict. Doesn't matter how big of a rockstar you are; it's gonna give you major problems, medical and personal, if you're abusing it. What makes Scott special is his musical talent, not some magical ability to consume massive amounts of substances without doing any harm. That shit's a myth.

You Scott fanboys need to pull the blinders off and see what's really going on. Our hero is back to using drugs and fucking up his music career just like he was in the mid-late 90's; he's just found a different drug to do it with.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I think the Deleos stunk up ST.  If they didn't like what he was giving they needed to get it out of him.  And if they couldn't they shouldn't be producing.   

Inspired?  Motivated?  I mean the guy seems to seek out sobriety when he has something important in front of him.  Jail, kids, VR.  Scott will always have his demons even when he's clean.  They'll always get in the way of his professional life even when he's clean.  The guy was a serious cocaine/herion addict.  If he can beat that he can beat anything.............

I've always said, the DeLeo's are horrible producers and "produced" S/T as a series of radio/iTunes friendly singles, instead of an proper album.  IMO when it comes to recording or things like rare, or one off type shows, or even albums; he sounds great. 

Look, I love Scott Weiland as much as anyone here. What separates guys like me from the Scott fanboys around here is that I'm not afraid to call it like it is. Because I understand addiction. Scott's an addict -- this we all know. Right now, he's in "active addiction"; he's "using," and the drug he's using right now is alcohol. Addicts can't drink, because alcohol is just another drug, and a really fucking nasty one if you're an addict. Doesn't matter how big of a rockstar you are; it's gonna give you major problems, medical and personal, if you're abusing it. What makes Scott special is his musical talent, not some magical ability to consume massive amounts of substances without doing any harm. That shit's a myth.

You Scott fanboys need to pull the blinders off and see what's really going on. Our hero is back to using drugs and fucking up his music career just like he was in the mid-late 90's; he's just found a different drug to do it with.

I'm probably one of the biggest Scott fanboys, and even I wouldn't say it's just a motivational problem.  On some level it is, but his addictive tendencies only compound the other problems he's dealing with (financially, mentally, and with his family), so there really is no simple fix.  Even if he were magically clean tomorrow, that wouldn't make any of those other problems any easier.  He's clearly abusing "substances", but at least it's not heroin. If trading one evil for a lesser evil is all that happens... it's better than nothing.  Hopefully he will trade whatever he's on now for something less harmful; and so on. 

It's a cycle. Even if he got back together with VR, he'd be fine for a while, but it's the touring and this new business model of grinding out show after show that kills him.  He's not young anymore, his body can't take that abuse, especially after all the shit he's done.  Whatever he is/was abusing on the road was probably the only thing that kept him going every night.  If he's clean, then he can't grind out shows every night... albums won't bring in money....but then he can't pay his ex or live... so he has to stay on the road.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
Scott is an addict but his VR bandmates and even STP used him reportedly stating he would have to pay them for loss of revenue for going into rehab (See his depressing last interview with Stern).

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
Scott is an addict but his VR bandmates and even STP used him reportedly stating he would have to pay them for loss of revenue for going into rehab (See his depressing last interview with Stern).

"Used" him? LOL! -facepalms- -shakes head-
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
How would you put it?  Not saying Scott is a saint in any of the past dramas but neither are his previous band mates.

Stating you need to pay the other members of the band for lost revenue if you decide to go to rehab is a very shitty thing.

Tom82

• Pilot
    • View Profile
"On some level it is, but his addictive tendencies only compound the other problems he's dealing with (financially, mentally, and with his family), so there really is no simple fix.  Even if he were magically clean tomorrow, that wouldn't make any of those other problems any easier.  He's clearly abusing "substances", but at least it's not heroin. If trading one evil for a lesser evil is all that happens... it's better than nothing. "   

STEAK is completely right, I have read both bios. Marys and Scotts. But the bio she wrote gives you an insight of the dangers of painkiller addiction. she writes about what happened before the las vegas concert 2001. and to be completeley honest. its hard to get away from those things, tramadol , codeine, the synthectic forms of that. see heath ledger, see philipp seymour hofman. turned from pain medication to h. and mixing that with alcohol can be deadly. will be deadly. im still because i don't drink.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I want to read Mary's book now.

Tom82

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Eyes of Disarray, you havn't read marys book ? the two of us, had here some lets say differnet opinions,
to end that...I said sorry, because partly I wrote not so nice things...lazy divey and you wrote kind of crappy things about, me but I wasn't innocent too ;-) wrote kind of dumb, hurting things too.
but lets keep that behind.... therefore I ask myself, do you want to read it? or do you think, I don't tell the truth, due to our beahavier against each other?

coming back to the story about the 2001 las vegas incident, where he was busted and the media wrote, scott and hit mary, I can tell you, or quote from the book.... to shine a better light on scott, and what really happened. not the "tmz" kind of bullshit... If you want to, Eyes of Disarray I can tell you the story....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 04:31:08 PM by Tom82 »

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
The addiction levels of prescription meds and heroin are completely overblown, even by the government's own statistics. The large, vast majority of people who have tried them can stop or use them recreationally.

That's why there is some push back now against the addiction-as-disease treatment model. If people who are abusing a substance but not addicted are told that they have no power over their use of a drug, it makes it much more difficult for them to find a healthy solution if complete sobriety is the only alternative. It ignores treatments that have actually been shown scientifically to work, as opposed to the addiction-as-disease models, which have not been scientifically shown to work, often times any more than no treatment whatsoever.

Our policies and views on drugs in this country are incredibly fucked up.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Tom, I didn't mean that in a mistrusting tone; I sincerely do want to read Mary's book. Please feel free to share the story.

lovemachine, it sounds like you're confusing addiction-as-disease with the 12-step program. Many scientists have done research showing that the effects of addiction are similar to those of other diseases. While the 12-step program is one that considers addiction a disease, the two aren't mutually exclusive. There are other treatments out there that consider addiction a disease but have nothing to do with the dogma of 12-step.

With that said, I agree the dominant model for recovery (12-step) has been proven to be no more successful than anything else out there. In essence, you are just replacing your drug habit with pseudo-religious meetings. Take away the meetings and you're back to using eventually (according to their beliefs). I don't consider that "recovered."

Also, I agree that complete sobriety isn't the only path to conquering addiction for everyone, but it's a case-by-case basis. If we're talking about Scott Weiland, I wouldn't consider him free of his addiction right now. His drinking continues to screw up his career and disappoint lots of people. Maybe some former heroin addicts can drink in moderation. Scott's obviously not one of em.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Tom, I didn't mean that in a mistrusting tone; I sincerely do want to read Mary's book. Please feel free to share the story.

lovemachine, it sounds like you're confusing addiction-as-disease with the 12-step program. Many scientists have done research showing that the effects of addiction are similar to those of other diseases. While the 12-step program is one that considers addiction a disease, the two aren't mutually exclusive. There are other treatments out there that consider addiction a disease but have nothing to do with the dogma of 12-step.

With that said, I agree the dominant model for recovery (12-step) has been proven to be no more successful than anything else out there. In essence, you are just replacing your drug habit with pseudo-religious meetings. Take away the meetings and you're back to using eventually (according to their beliefs). I don't consider that "recovered."

Also, I agree that complete sobriety isn't the only path to conquering addiction for everyone, but it's a case-by-case basis. If we're talking about Scott Weiland, I wouldn't consider him free of his addiction right now. His drinking continues to screw up his career and disappoint lots of people. Maybe some former heroin addicts can drink in moderation. Scott's obviously not one of em.

Not confusing them, just saying that 1) the dominant idea is that addiction is a disease, and 2) the dominant mode of treatment is the 12-step program.

Addiction identified as a disease in everyone who abuses a substance combined with the idea of the 12-step program--which tells users that they have no power over the drug and need a higher power--has the potential to do great harm in a lot of people who abuse a substance but are not addicted to it.

Just wondering if a different kind of treatment--one that empowers the user--might not be a better proposition for Scott.