October 01, 2024, 11:02:52 PM

Author Topic: No ILS On Late Night Talk Shows?  (Read 5511 times)

RCLAR

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
No ILS On Late Night Talk Shows?
« on: December 26, 2013, 11:53:44 PM »
Something that's been bugging me for years is the fact that I cannot find one instance where STP performed their biggest hit ever, Interstate Love Song, on any late night talk show. No Letterman or Leno performances...nothing. Does anyone know otherwise?
Karma schmarma.

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: No ILS On Late Night Talk Shows?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 02:09:26 AM »
Something that's been bugging me for years is the fact that I cannot find one instance where STP performed their biggest hit ever, Interstate Love Song, on any late night talk show. No Letterman or Leno performances...nothing. Does anyone know otherwise?

Let's see. That was the Purple era. So you had Vasoline released and they did the Letterman performance. Then they released Interstate Love Song as a video and I think that was around the time that Scott got busted for drugs and he was
in jail for close to a year. By that time, it would have been after the fact if they performed it on  a late night show. Then they decided to release Big Empty and use the Unplugged performance as the actual video. He was in and out of rehab during those
years while doing their Purple tour. They were lucky even to make a Vasoline video/s.

8)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 02:30:06 AM »
Interstate Love Song was released as a single in August 1994, Scott wasn't busted until 1995. Scott's addiction probably had nothing to do with it.

STP made two late night appearances in 1994. In June they appeared on Letterman and performed the first single off the album, Vasoline. In December they appeared on Letterman again, this time performing the fourth single off the album, Unglued.

So really, the reason ISL was never played on late-night was because they just weren't booked for a late-night show at the time Interstate was released. Had they appeared in August instead of June, they would have played ILS instead of Vasoline... However, because of marketing they would have wanted to play on late-night as close to release as possible, so performing latter to promote the second single instead of the first would have been a mistake.

All that said, they did play Interstate Love Song on Jimmy Kimmel just after they reunited in '08.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 02:32:23 AM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 08:38:25 AM »
I think things were promoted a bit differently back then. They probably didn't need to promote ILS at that time. It set a record on the modern rock charts. The song was huge.

RCLAR

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 01:44:32 PM »
Well, I guess that settles that. Man, I would've loved to have seen a performance of ILS on a late night talk show. I always felt that STP were one of the few bands that always sounded good on those types of shows.

Thanks for the input!
Karma schmarma.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »
Agreed. The guys were always very telegenic, which was great at the time when rock music was popular. My favorites were Wicked Garden on Letterman and Unglued (w/ Christmastime is Here intro) on Letterman. (updated with links below)

Wicked Garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NoTuWjixJc

Unglued
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKUkRgzCL44
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:52:14 PM by EyesOfDisarray »

RCLAR

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
Thanks for the links! I go back and watch those every now and then. I have a hard time choosing favorites, but the Letterman performances are usually the best ones. I think Big Bang Baby on Letterman in '96 is probably my favorite performance. It's got great energy...and those pants! Hehe.
Karma schmarma.

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 07:39:14 PM »
Thanks for the links! I go back and watch those every now and then. I have a hard time choosing favorites, but the Letterman performances are usually the best ones. I think Big Bang Baby on Letterman in '96 is probably my favorite performance. It's got great energy...and those pants! Hehe.
That was my favorite as well, because of the way he belts out the ending compared to the album version.