September 23, 2024, 03:38:02 PM

Author Topic: Doug Grean says Wildabouts rehearsing new songs  (Read 7599 times)

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Doug Grean says Wildabouts rehearsing new songs
« on: November 24, 2013, 11:01:18 PM »
From Dougs Facebook: "Scott Weiland and the wildabouts rehearsal today - we'll be playing some new songs today and when I say new I mean - you've never heard them before - new."

This should be interesting!!
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Doug Grean says Wildabouts rehearsing new songs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 12:08:47 AM »
Time for our fingers to be crossed!  I feel like this next tour/album with the Wildabouts and the new songs are going to give us a really good insight into how Scott's been doing/where he's headed.
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 04:24:26 AM »
I hope the new stuff is better than Self-titled and the EP.

Still not sure The Wildabouts can match Weiland's talent. I guess we will see.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:15:22 AM »
This seems odd... Especially considering how Scott has said in the past that they already have songs recorded.  Hopefully Doug just means rehearsing them to play live (and these aren't the first/only songs Scott & The Wildabouts are working on).
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »
Debuting songs that haven't even been released yet? I don't believe it, what trickery is this?!

Sincerely, I can't wait to hear some new material from Scott, not just because it'll give us an idea of how he's doing, but also because I really want to hear new SW music!

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 03:09:45 PM »
This seems odd... Especially considering how Scott has said in the past that they already have songs recorded.  Hopefully Doug just means rehearsing them to play live (and these aren't the first/only songs Scott & The Wildabouts are working on).

Sounds like rehearsal to me. Fingers crossed. This could be a make or break album for SW.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Pruno315

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 03:40:46 PM »
Debuting songs that haven't even been released yet? I don't believe it, what trickery is this?!

Sincerely, I can't wait to hear some new material from Scott, not just because it'll give us an idea of how he's doing, but also because I really want to hear new SW music!

I popped on 12 Bar Blues the other day and I'm surprised it still holds up. I initially liked it because for years, the boys could do no wrong (even when Scott often did wrong). I haven't listened to it in years, and I think it's still more interesting than Talk Show, AOA, and the STP + Chester. I liked much of Happy in Galoshes too, so I'm curious to see what his new stuff will be.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 03:54:21 PM »
Yeah it definitely holds up. 12 Bar Blues is up there with the best of STP's output in my opinion. If I had to slot it into their albums I'd say it was the third best STP/Related album after Tiny Music & Purple. Outstanding work.

I'd have to say I enjoy HIG a lot less, but the single disc edition is a reasonably listenable collection of songs, it's just nowhere near as heartfelt and inventive as 12BB. 12BB is an anguished painful record, it really reflects where Scott was right then. HIG sounds a lot more like a bored rock star to me.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 05:09:51 PM »
Yeah it definitely holds up. 12 Bar Blues is up there with the best of STP's output in my opinion. If I had to slot it into their albums I'd say it was the third best STP/Related album after Tiny Music & Purple. Outstanding work.

I'd have to say I enjoy HIG a lot less, but the single disc edition is a reasonably listenable collection of songs, it's just nowhere near as heartfelt and inventive as 12BB. 12BB is an anguished painful record, it really reflects where Scott was right then. HIG sounds a lot more like a bored rock star to me.

That's exactly where I'd put it as well. STP related material hit its peak with Tiny Music, Purple and 12BB, in that order, if you ask me.

Though I don't think HIG was any less heartfelt than 12BB. It definitely was not up to the same standards as 12BB artistically, but Scott was going through a hell of a lot at that point in his life as well. You could even argue what he was going through during that period was worse. Heroin addiction sucks, but losing your brother and wife is no picnic either. Songs like Pictures & Computers and Sometimes Chicken Soup (a personal favorite) are some of the most intimate he's ever written.

When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »
Yes I suppose you have a point about where he is in his life there, perhaps heartfelt isn't the right word, the lyrics are very personal, but he doesn't sound as committed to the performance.

Also instrumentally and production wise, it's just not as interesting, but that is probably not really Scott's fault. He had some serious talent on board for 12BB in that respect.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 10:50:39 PM »

Sounds like rehearsal to me. Fingers crossed. This could be a make or break album for SW.

I agree.

Now we'll get to see what the Wildabouts are really made of.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 02:29:46 AM »
Looking forward to hearing NEW stuff
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 02:36:50 AM »
Another update from Doug Grean's Facebook:
More Weiland rehearsals today. Get ready east coast we are coming at you with some new shit.

So it appears he's talking about playing some new songs live, not to record in the studio.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

IdahoSTPfan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 04:29:17 AM »
Where is the post on Doug's facebook page? I don't see anything new except for the terpsichords info. Someone fill me in on where this info on rehearsals is? Thanks

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 05:52:08 AM »
Where is the post on Doug's facebook page? I don't see anything new except for the terpsichords info. Someone fill me in on where this info on rehearsals is? Thanks

This page:
https://www.facebook.com/doug.grean?fref=ts