September 16, 2024, 08:19:39 AM

Author Topic: Least favorite STP song  (Read 89348 times)

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
Re: worst songs
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2008, 08:05:14 AM »
Quote from: "loungefly611"
To me it's just kind of there. Nothing really special about it. I see it as the filler track of the album.

wouldnt that really be press play or daisy?
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.

about_nothing

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2008, 08:18:10 AM »
Quote from: "Somba Nova"

maybe he means one with words?? now that you mention it tho i wonder why they put press play on it i know its a intro kinda thing but it doesnt really go into pop's love suicide
\"You\'re the champion of sorrow. You\'re the love and the pain. You\'re the fighter of evil. Yet yo

smoofcool

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2008, 09:24:24 AM »
yea i am not too big on bi-polar bear, really not all too much in to instrumentals either.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #213 on: May 19, 2008, 05:37:31 PM »
Quote from: "Somba Nova"

You can say that. I was referring to the actual songs on the album as opposed to the instrumental intros. The instrumentals remind me of segues as opposed to intros. However, in the case of Press Play, that would be an intro.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2008, 06:17:37 PM »
I don't see how a song of theirs can be refered to as "filler". It's not like they just said "Well, I can't think of something to put there, so lets just pull something out of our asses". They wrote it just like the other songs and put it where they felt it fit into the flow of the album. Obviously not everything they write is going to be a Seven Caged Tigers or Interstate Love Song; but that doesn't mean it's less of an STP song.

That's just my opinion.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

King

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2008, 06:48:39 PM »
Simple, Richard Peterson's 'My Second Album' since it really isn't STP. :)

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 19, 2008, 07:15:28 PM »
Bi-Polar Bear and MC5 are probably the only STP songs that actually make me want to vomit.

That's pretty impressive for over 55 tracks because I am REALLY picky.

I'm gonna add one. heed the water whisperer or whatever. I hated that song.

dirty dog

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2008, 08:09:30 PM »
"You should be banned just for making that comment.

Seriously."

hahahahahahhaa

relax man!

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »
Sex Type Thing, though? Come on! There are about 30 songs of STP I'd put STT ahead of.

justbill

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 19, 2008, 08:22:39 PM »
"Glide" in my opinion. . . but I don't really consider any STP single the "worst."

I mean, listening to STP is great for long distance travels, rough times, good times, listening to them from beginning to end is an amazing journey. It's at times, considered the soundtrack to our lives. Who agrees with that said statement?
-Bill_

Volant9353

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 19, 2008, 08:25:07 PM »
I could take or leave MC5, however the other day i was riding down to the beach with my girlfriend and we were listening to No.4 and we both found ourselves rocking out to MC5, and i was like man I used to hate that song. Ride the Cliche is an awesome song, for the fact that Scott was taking a swipe at all their critics back then; not to mention Dean's solo on that song is awesome. Song for the sleeping, the lyrics are so beautiful, most rockers are too angry at the world or the republicans to write a love song to their child and the fact the Dean gets that passion and is able to write such a beautiful guitar part is what makes STP great!
“I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring.” - David Bowie

Ivy

• Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 19, 2008, 08:29:01 PM »
Quote from: "justbill"
I mean, listening to STP is great for long distance travels, rough times, good times, listening to them from beginning to end is an amazing journey. It's at times, considered the soundtrack to our lives. Who agrees with that said statement?

Agreed..STP has been with me through bad times, good times etc. I remember every album about how I felt during that period.
Have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.

mrzod1

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 19, 2008, 09:11:50 PM »
So here's my two sense (ha ha! like instead of 'cents'! Get it? It's hilarious, trust me. You'll think so in the future).  I think (now this is of course according to my tastes) that they're ability to write an awesome slow/quieter song diminished after tiny music.  I can't think of one song I don't think is perfect off the first 3 albums.  And even though i don't think there's one song on the last two that i like as much as any one song on the first 3, I feel that the more rock songs were better than the non-rock songs on the last 2 albums.  I mean I think there's plenty to enjoy of course, but as I said, to me the first 3 are basically perfect (to a point of course, I guess that's an oxymoron but you get the point). I do like some songs more than others on the first 3 but they're all way up there.  Whereas on the last 2 I can dig alot but I don't feel they are on the same level as before, especially on the lighter songs.  I don't know the names as well as I should but for instance days of the week, I can appreciate some things about it, but when I first heard it I was like "what is this shit?" and when someone told me it was STP it took me by surprise.  I mean that main vocal and main riff or whatever you wanna call it is way poppier than anything I've heard from them.  Almost like a different band.  And it's not the genre 'pop' i don't like (though I USUALLY don't) because I do like some pop stuff.  But that song, I don't know, didn't vibe with me overall.  And Atlanta, you guys have heard the song 'my favorite things' right?  If not listen to it and atlanta back to back if you even have to.  So there's a couple for you along with most of the other lighter songs from later on.  I've got you also is similar to sour girl during the chorus at one point.  And don't hop on me about 'oh things are going to get repeated here and there' because if I noticed it and it stood out that much, they should have too, there's smart musicians.  it's the 'i got you, i got you to... and the chord changes, compared to the 'what would you do, what would you do? to the chord change if anyone follows that).  Ok, so a couple other things whoever said the person who doesn't like adhesive is a poor soul was right on the money.  i feel for them.  Also, why hate MC5 and Dumb Love?  They both rock and to me are as good or about as good as any of the other rockin tracks on the last 2.  and of course RIde the Cliche, great song.  It's a shame it's not more appreciated.  I don't even really see why that one would stand out as different from the other tracks to any large degree.  I love the whole thing and I think all the songs are in a similar excellent musical 'environment' if you will.  masterpiece.  favorite one.  Anyways sorry for the book.  I didn't plan it this way.

EclecticBohemian

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 19, 2008, 10:53:40 PM »
When I first heard And So I Know & Art School Girl I said "What the....?!?!"  Damned if they didn't grow on me!  One's just nice to mellow out to and ya just gotta love the story behind the other!
Know what I\'m thinking?  No?  Neither do I!  ;Þ

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 19, 2008, 10:59:37 PM »
Quote from: "justbill"
"Glide" in my opinion. . . but I don't really consider any STP single the "worst."

100% agreed. And I would also go with "Glide" although I still like it a lot.

Quote from: "mrzod1"
I feel that the more rock songs were better than the non-rock songs on the last 2 albums. 

See, I disagree with that entirely and, as I always say, this is one of the things that makes STP so special. There truly is something for everyone and we all have different favourites. It's all good.