September 17, 2024, 09:16:44 PM

Author Topic: Least favorite STP song  (Read 89448 times)

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I Know Scotts Least Favorite Stp Song...
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2005, 12:33:37 AM »
Well it's a hell of a lot better than most songs on that album.
Days of the Week?

I absolutely love SLDD, but that song is... well, let's just say I skip it every single time.  

I'm surprised so many of you disliked the album.  Personally, I think it's an album that older fans appreciated more than newer ones.  A lot of the album was very personal (BiPolar Bear, Black Again, A Song for Sleeping) - which may be part of the reason that I love it so much.  I think Weiland's lyrics on this album are his best to date.

But, to each their own.   :)
Agree about the album. Despite being "all over the place" (as so many love to say), I still think it's a great album.

Disagree about Days of the Week though. I've always liked it.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2005, 09:19:35 AM »
Yeah.  Days of the Week is catchy.  If it was a minute longer it'd suck.  The best part is, right when you start getting tired of it, it ends.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2005, 02:08:57 AM »
Not to be a dick or anything, but I don't get why people care so much about lyrics. As long as the musics there, who cares how good the lyrics are?

THANK you. I agree totally.
Are you guys serious?

I think the lyrics are the single most important factor in my choice of music.  It's because of Weiland's lyrics that I fell in love with Stone Temple Pilots in the first place.

I don't know.  I'm kind of reminded of a time my sister was listening to some horrible gansta-rap in her room.  "I'm gunna fuck u up biotch, slit yo throat biotch, guns and money, homie!"  The entire thing was just disgraceful, and I was curious as to why she was listening to it in the first place.  "Listen to this bass" was her response.   :blink:

I would never be able to listen to something like that... something half-assed slapped together like that without any rhyme or reason behind any of it.

That's not to say that I won't listen to a band or artist simply because I don't like their lyrics; I certainly enjoy dancing around my room to Weezer, whose lyrics hardly impress me.  And that song "Yeah" by Usher (?) is pretty catchy.

I'm rambling.

I guess I'm just TRYING (in a very roundabout way) to say that the lyrics are just as much of an artform as the music itself.  I've always said that if I could write with even a QUARTER of the brilliance that people like Morrison or Weiland or Whitman - any of the "masters," in my very humble opinion do, that I would be one happy bitch.

Should I wait for attack?   :)
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

Sethynator

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
    • Gentlemen Ghosts
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2005, 03:54:44 AM »
Not to be a dick or anything, but I don't get why people care so much about lyrics. As long as the musics there, who cares how good the lyrics are?

THANK you. I agree totally.
Are you guys serious?

I think the lyrics are the single most important factor in my choice of music.  It's because of Weiland's lyrics that I fell in love with Stone Temple Pilots in the first place.

I don't know.  I'm kind of reminded of a time my sister was listening to some horrible gansta-rap in her room.  "I'm gunna fuck u up biotch, slit yo throat biotch, guns and money, homie!"  The entire thing was just disgraceful, and I was curious as to why she was listening to it in the first place.  "Listen to this bass" was her response.   :blink:

I would never be able to listen to something like that... something half-assed slapped together like that without any rhyme or reason behind any of it.

That's not to say that I won't listen to a band or artist simply because I don't like their lyrics; I certainly enjoy dancing around my room to Weezer, whose lyrics hardly impress me.  And that song "Yeah" by Usher (?) is pretty catchy.

I'm rambling.

I guess I'm just TRYING (in a very roundabout way) to say that the lyrics are just as much of an artform as the music itself.  I've always said that if I could write with even a QUARTER of the brilliance that people like Morrison or Weiland or Whitman - any of the "masters," in my very humble opinion do, that I would be one happy bitch.

Should I wait for attack?   :)
Both lyrics and music have to be good I think to be a good song, its not the same when ones good and the other sucks.
"I'm looking for a new rock sensation."

Anonymous

« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2005, 06:44:16 AM »
I dunno, but it's much easier for me to forgive bad lyrics if the music is good. The exception, though, would be something like
"I'm gunna fuck u up biotch, slit yo throat biotch, guns and money, homie!
, unless it's done in a way that sounds cool, regardless of what I may personally feel about the actual content. (i.e., the guy's voice is altered so he sounds like a small child, or a robot)

That gives me some ideas...  :P

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2005, 12:34:01 AM »
I dunno, but it's much easier for me to forgive bad lyrics if the music is good. The exception, though, would be something like
, unless it's done in a way that sounds cool, regardless of what I may personally feel about the actual content. (i.e., the guy's voice is altered so he sounds like a small child, or a robot)

I wanna hear a rapping robot.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2005, 01:02:36 AM »

I wanna hear a rapping robot.
You would.   :P
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2005, 12:56:37 AM »
Well it's a hell of a lot better than most songs on that album.
Days of the Week?

I absolutely love SLDD, but that song is... well, let's just say I skip it every single time.  

I'm surprised so many of you disliked the album.  Personally, I think it's an album that older fans appreciated more than newer ones.  A lot of the album was very personal (BiPolar Bear, Black Again, A Song for Sleeping) - which may be part of the reason that I love it so much.  I think Weiland's lyrics on this album are his best to date.

But, to each their own.   :)
Agree about the album. Despite being "all over the place" (as so many love to say), I still think it's a great album.

Disagree about Days of the Week though. I've always liked it.
I think some have misunderstood my post awhile back. While I still think that SLDD is "all over the place," I still really enjoy the album. It's my favorite behind Tiny Music (Personal favorite) and Purple (The band's best album IMO).

Lyrics are just as important to a song as the music, but it's the songs hooks and melodies that draw you in first. I don't think you listen to a song the first time for the lyrics. You listen to the music first, then after a few listens break out the CD booklet and read the lyrics while you listen to the song...That's what I do atleast..

For anyone that really cares, I miss the old gangsta rap. All of this bling bling crap today is pointless. I don't care how much money or cars or hookers you have. That just shows me that you think you're better then everyone else. Screw that.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Anonymous

« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2005, 11:00:29 AM »
All music has its place. Even if you hate it, its a yardstick to messure the stuff you think is good. If it wasnt for the bad stuff you wouldnt know what was good.
I quite like the rap and hip hop genres. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same shit.
God...i should be a politician!!

Anonymous

« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2005, 11:57:46 PM »
Long Way Home, Pruno, Church on Tuesday, Transmitions from a Lonely Room??????

Good God, people! Are you all on crack?! Those songs had to be some of my favorites! What he should have said was " A song for Sleeping" or "Hello, its late". I about had a stroke when I read all those posts but ya know, its just my opinion. Like when I head that No.4 was the least liked album by fans and the fact that Sour Girl was on there was one of the reasons. I almost went crazy. Sour Girl is by far the best STP song I've ever heard along with the bad acid trip video! No. 4 and SLDD were my two favorite albums! I agree though with the fact that Days of the Week is skipped often. To me that song got really old really fast. The music video still kicks ass though. Nothing like Scott dancing in a black suit to a trippy background. Dumb Love and Coma are two of my favorite tracks off of SLDD though.

(The song Regeneration is good until it gets to the spoken part about mice and fields where men go.....I skip the song when it gets to that. Black Again does sound whiny now that I think about it. "She cant eeeeaaaatttt she cant sleeeeeep shes not weeeeeellllllllll." Yeah. It is whiny.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 12:05:58 AM by Anonymous »

Anonymous

« Reply #130 on: May 20, 2005, 01:12:08 AM »

Good God, people! Are you all on crack?! Those songs had to be some of my favorites! What he should have said was " A song for Sleeping" or "Hello, its late". I about had a stroke when I read all those posts but ya know, its just my opinion. Like when I head that No.4 was the least liked album by fans and the fact that Sour Girl was on there was one of the reasons. I almost went crazy. Sour Girl is by far the best STP song I've ever heard along with the bad acid trip video! No. 4 and SLDD were my two favorite albums! I agree though with the fact that Days of the Week is skipped often. To me that song got really old really fast. The music video still kicks ass though. Nothing like Scott dancing in a black suit to a trippy background. Dumb Love and Coma are two of my favorite tracks off of SLDD though.

(The song Regeneration is good until it gets to the spoken part about mice and fields where men go.....I skip the song when it gets to that. Black Again does sound whiny now that I think about it. "She cant eeeeaaaatttt she cant sleeeeeep shes not weeeeeellllllllll." Yeah. It is whiny.)
Please tell me you didn't just say 'Hell It's Late' is the worst song STP did?! If so you are insane! That and Atlanta are the best songs STP ever did, period and we all know they did some amazing songs over the years. You then go on to say you like Regeneration, which is (if I had to pick one) the worst song on SLDD. Isn't it strange how other peoples opinions can be soooooo far from your own?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 01:13:07 AM by CagedTiger »

Anonymous

« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2005, 06:26:51 AM »

Please tell me you didn't just say 'Hell It's Late' is the worst song STP did?! If so you are insane! That and Atlanta are the best songs STP ever did, period and we all know they did some amazing songs over the years. You then go on to say you like Regeneration, which is (if I had to pick one) the worst song on SLDD. Isn't it strange how other peoples opinions can be soooooo far from your own?
Well, I guess your right but its only my opinion. You dont have to take it seriously. I said half of Regeneration was good but the other half was so sucky, I almost threw up. The reason I said "Hello, Its late" was a sucky song was because its not upbeat and something you can blast in your car with your friends (like Crackerman, that is a road trip anthem). I do agree with you that Atlanta was an amazing song though. No hard feeling towards anyone, just opinions! Personally, STP doesnt have an actual ear-bleeding song where I just cant listen to it like Christina Agulera (or however you spell her name) which gives me brain damage I dont need :P

SilvergunSuperman

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2005, 03:10:35 AM »

Well, I guess your right but its only my opinion. You dont have to take it seriously. I said half of Regeneration was good but the other half was so sucky, I almost threw up. The reason I said "Hello, Its late" was a sucky song was because its not upbeat and something you can blast in your car with your friends (like Crackerman, that is a road trip anthem). I do agree with you that Atlanta was an amazing song though. No hard feeling towards anyone, just opinions! Personally, STP doesnt have an actual ear-bleeding song where I just cant listen to it like Christina Agulera (or however you spell her name) which gives me brain damage I dont need :P
So, only upbeat songs are good? Now I understand...

violentgreen

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2005, 05:08:09 AM »

So, only upbeat songs are good? Now I understand...
It's too slow.  It drags.
Oh yeah, that looks much sexier on you.

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2005, 05:16:36 AM »
Somebody lock this damn thread.  It's an abortion.