September 30, 2024, 09:29:19 AM

Author Topic: 11/01/13 Live stream of Biloxi, MS show  (Read 14995 times)

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 11/01/13 Live stream of Biloxi, MS show
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2013, 09:39:01 PM »
3 original members playing their own material = STPwC

1 former (fired) member singing hits with a hired backup band = Karaoke.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:50:19 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2013, 09:40:05 PM »

- Ron Burgundy

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
If that's all you drew from my post then I'll just use visual cues instead.

Here, it's this --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSHlKlrK1bU
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2013, 09:44:56 PM »

Hard to agree with.

Chester was a proven artist long before STP worked with him. JD was nothing before INXS, and now he's back to being nothing.

- Ron Burgundy

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2013, 10:18:08 PM »

Hard to agree with.

Chester was a proven artist long before STP worked with him. JD was nothing before INXS, and now he's back to being nothing.

Agreed wholeheartedly. But my point is, like JD, Chester is going to go back to what he was before too if they fail to develop their own identity. He's as much a stand-in for Scott as JD was for Michael Hutchence, and they at least put out a full length album with singles and all the bells and whistles. It still sucked, but at least they tried. I guess time will tell.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »
But my point is, like JD, Chester is going to go back to what he was before too if they fail to develop their own identity.

STP already has an identity, one that their previous singer was not staying true to. That is where Chester comes in. They do not need to develop a new identity, because this is not a new band. This is a band that replaced their singer.

Is this starting to make sense for you? (See, I can be condescending too.)

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2013, 11:08:23 PM »
But my point is, like JD, Chester is going to go back to what he was before too if they fail to develop their own identity.

STP already has an identity, one that their previous singer was not staying true to. That is where Chester comes in. They do not need to develop a new identity, because this is not a new band. This is a band that replaced their singer.

Are you unaware INXS was a band before JD Fortune or do you just think that the identity of the band DIED with Michael Hutchence? Honest question. They're both 2 bands replacing their lead singers who are no longer with them, just for different reasons.

It's still not making sense to me. Try being more condescending.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2013, 11:17:53 PM »
Are you unaware INXS was a band before JD Fortune or do you just think that the identity of the band DIED with Michael Hutchence? Honest question. They're both 2 bands replacing their lead singers who are no longer with them, just for different reasons.

It's an entirely different situation, because STP didn't create a fucking reality TV show to find their replacement singer.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2013, 11:25:10 PM »

Yet, their identity is heavily intertwined with S Weiland.  He's credited on every single song.  Replacing him doesn't solve the problem.  You have a new singer now singing Scott's lyrics and melodies with similar stage presence.  It's watered down STP.  Karaoke, AI whatever you want to call it.  I suppose if you're watching youtube it suffices.  But so does AI for millions of viewers a week and so does karaoke and cover bands with the right amount of alcohol and/or weed.  You choose to listen to and support Chester covering Scott's lyrics and melodies with the STP guys.   

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2013, 11:46:23 PM »

How can you tell him that he's full of shit and then get defensive about him responding condescendingly?

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2013, 11:58:57 PM »
Yet, their identity is heavily intertwined with S Weiland.  He's credited on every single song.  Replacing him doesn't solve the problem.

So Scott can do whatever he wants, including showing up late, drunk, or not at all, making demands for more money, and not communicating with the band, and the other three can never replace him as STP's singer?

Scott was an amazing singer, songwriter, and performer during his first run with STP... "the best" as Dean himself said.

But that doesn't make him irreplaceable.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2013, 12:02:14 AM »
How can you tell him that he's full of shit and then get defensive about him responding condescendingly?

I wasn't getting defensive. I was just being condescending back.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2013, 12:15:05 AM »
Yet, their identity is heavily intertwined with S Weiland.  He's credited on every single song.  Replacing him doesn't solve the problem.

So Scott can do whatever he wants, including showing up late, drunk, or not at all, making demands for more money, and not communicating with the band, and the other three can never replace him as STP's singer?

I don't think that's what anyone's saying. Or at least not what I'm saying. This is what gets lost on a lot of people on here who are more supportive of the new STP. It's not that they're "not allowed" to replace Scott, I just think most of us would've liked to see it done differently. I'm not gonna reiterate all the points I've already made in this thread, but they're in here. Lets just hope going forward there's more we can all agree upon.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2013, 12:40:44 AM »
@Slither - Maybe you're not saying they're not allowed to replace Scott, but I was responding to Chris, and I think that's exactly what he is saying...

(I'd like to hear Chris's ideas about how Dean, Robert, and Eric should have handled the problem.)

Also, I disagree that they could've done this any differently -- I think given Chester's schedule and other commitments, they have done the best they can to record new material, play shows, and promote themselves. They're playing 2 out of the 5 new songs live; that's how many they played off S/T on the last tour, and that was a full album of 12 songs.

As for how Chester is doing the Scott songs, he's done his best to remain faithful to them, which is what the fans want and deserve. If he were putting his own spin on those songs and changing them all up <COUGH WILDABOUTS>, I would think a lot more fans would be crying foul.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2013, 01:44:54 AM »
Slither has my sentiments.  I think they should've followed a Depeche Mode blue print.  Every 2,3 years do a big tour w/ a new album and do your collaborations in between.  The fans then could have STP, Chester w/ the Deleos, VR, Scott solo, ect.  Instead we get two subpar entities w/ STPw/CB and Scott solo?  After 4 years of touring, the play was to sit tight and let the fans miss you for a while, heck, miss each other.  Scott was just as sick of the Deleos as they are of him.  This decision was impulsive, at best.