September 30, 2024, 09:31:10 AM

Author Topic: 11/01/13 Live stream of Biloxi, MS show  (Read 14997 times)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 11/01/13 Live stream of Biloxi, MS show
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2013, 05:32:34 PM »
Losing faith quick with them not incorporating new songs from the EP

Chances are...fans probably want to hear Scott-led STP.
They've dug deep in their catalog. Plus two songs off the EP. They aren't (and never will be) a band like PJ that play different setlists every night. History shows that to be fact, plain and simple.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »
Losing faith quick with them not incorporating new songs from the EP

Chances are...fans probably want to hear Scott-led STP.
They've dug deep in their catalog. Plus two songs off the EP. They aren't (and never will be) a band like PJ that play different setlists every night. History shows that to be fact, plain and simple.

I agree with you for the most part.  They simply aren't PJ and no one can expect them too.  i also agree about the fact that fans want to see Scott-led STP and the songs he wrote with them.  But with them stating publicly that they would play more new songs off the EP once it was released and them being so insistent on this being a new page and they're starting something new... I
d expect to see at least 3-4 new songs and not just Out of Time and Black Heart.  Especially since Tomorrow sounds like it could fit right in with the rest of the scott era STP catalogue.
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2013, 05:53:24 PM »
I think the setlist they have is great now, best setlist since the SLDD tour. But if they want to sell records, they are going to have to play new material, and it's not going to get a good reception until people know and expect it, they just have to live with that.

I honestly don't understand this reticence to do so, for the sake of 4 minutes out of a show to play one more track? It's not like people will be going home saying it was a lousy show because they played 3 tracks they may not have heard before.

Otherwise, awesome show. Bennington doesn't have the stage presence Scott has, he doesn't strike awe into me like a show where Scott is on fire, but he can sure sing the songs. Things, presumably, will only get better too.

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »
Setlist is disappointing to say the least.  EP hasn't been out a month and they are only playing 2 songs off of it.  None of them are even 4 minutes long.  SMH, you are better than that, Deleos.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2013, 06:34:44 PM »
I think the setlist they have is great now, best setlist since the SLDD tour. But if they want to sell records, they are going to have to play new material, and it's not going to get a good reception until people know and expect it, they just have to live with that.

I honestly don't understand this reticence to do so, for the sake of 4 minutes out of a show to play one more track? It's not like people will be going home saying it was a lousy show because they played 3 tracks they may not have heard before.

Let's remember that Chester's been jumping between bands the last couple of weeks. They probably haven't had time to really rehearse those songs.

Besides, they're playing a really good setlist that really works. They've managed to get 4 songs into the set that most audiences probably aren't familiar with and the audiences are reacting well to them. I think there's a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality here.

I'd like to see them start playing more stuff from the EP, but I can understand that from their perspective and audiences perspectives, there's no rush to do that.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2013, 06:55:40 PM »
This is not a general statement for all but for the a good portion of concert audiences, I find that 'new' songs are appreciated live when they've become 'old' songs.
Maybe that's just true in STP world and not all around but hear me out.
For example, a song like "Between The Lines" may be more appreciated on this tour than it was on the 2010 tour. 

When a band goes into a new song, sometimes THAT'S when you see everyone make way for the bathroom and concessions.
Maybe that sentiment helps determine what is played. Not just STP but in many cases...
I've seen it happen a lot.

Then again I also have gone to shows where the new album is all but played in full.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2013, 08:03:53 PM »

Love it or hate it ... one can't deny that Chester has really embraced this & has shown great improvement in singing the songs .... he sounds pretty damn good here.

In a karaoke way, it's awesome.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2013, 09:50:22 PM »
Only complaint(s) about setlist, nothing from S/T and only W songs from the EP
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2013, 04:37:44 PM »

Love it or hate it ... one can't deny that Chester has really embraced this & has shown great improvement in singing the songs .... he sounds pretty damn good here.

A band playing their own music is karaoke. Complete logic there.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »
Do people know what karaoke is?
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2013, 05:33:11 PM »
Do people know what karaoke is?

I don't think so. It's a term that's constantly used here, though.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »

A band playing their own music is karaoke. Complete logic there.

Karaoke is a very unsophisticated way to characterize what this is. I don't love it either, but it's not karaoke.

If I had to compare it to anything, it'd be a grandiose version of American Idol, with Chester being the winner and going on tour without putting out a full album and singing all the songs he covered on the show plus a few new ones. Yes, they sound nice together live, Chester's a great singer, but this is never something I will pay to see. Had these guys changed their name, put out an album of fresh songs and toured off that, (a la Talk Show, AOA) with a few STP songs peppered in here and there, I would go see that.  But they're not even performing all the songs off their FIVE song EP. They're not separating themselves enough from the "old" STP. This is just Chester Bennington, a very talented singer, doing his best Scott Weiland impression. And I don't blame him. These are Scott's songs, someone he idolized growing up. I'd be doing the same damn thing.

If they really want to carve out a niche for themselves and have this work, they need to do the following:

- Play all the songs off their EP (which I don't even like all that much, but it needs to happen)
- Replace a few STP songs with covers on their setlist (we've seen some fantastic Camp Freddy performances out of Chester)
- Record a full length album
- Change their name (not happening, but couldn't leave this one out)
- Have Chester attend a writer's workshop or date with Maya Angelou

Not expecting any of this, but I don't think 3 of the 5 is asking too much. For now, I'm just crossing my fingers Scott pulls a rabbit out of his ass and his solo album is awesome/happens
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
Karaoke, American Idol... you guys are full of shit.

The band fired their lead singer, and for good reason.

They hired a new singer, and got the best possible one for the job.

Now they're moving on under the same band name... which they believe they are legally allowed to do (we'll find out soon enough).

Nothing else really matters.

If you like the new music, great! If you don't, fine. Just stop whining about it for fuck's sake.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2013, 08:01:26 PM »
The band fired their lead singer, and for good reason.

Agreed.

They hired a new singer, and got the best possible one for the job.

Agreed.

Now they're moving on under the same band name... which they believe they are legally allowed to do (we'll find out soon enough).

Agreed.

Nothing else really matters.

Disagreed. And that doesn't make me full of shit. It's just what my eyes are seeing and my ears are hearing - and I'm not the only one.

Whatever, I've made my case enough times here. If enough of you are content with what's going on, then I'm happy for you in the same way I'm happy for the DeLeos.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2013, 09:23:30 PM »
Disagreed. And that doesn't make me full of shit.

Comparing STP with Chester to American Idol makes you full of shit.