October 01, 2024, 11:31:55 PM

Author Topic: How did you break it to your Pearl Jam fan friend that the LP guy is now in STP?  (Read 8313 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Regardless of what band he's come from, his lyrics are just very cookie cutter in my opinion. That's pretty much my only complaint as to what he brings to the table in STP. His vocals and his melodies were pretty good on the EP, but the lyrics just kill it for me.

That's a fair argument. He's definitely more of the "descriptive" type lyricist, where as Scott is more the evocative type. I think Chester's trying to be more of the latter, but he's still in the former category.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
None of my close friends are Pearl Jam fans, but like I tell everyone else who brings up STP, Chester, or Scott...

"I like Chester, and given time I believe he can make some good music with these guys... but this isn't STP, nor will it ever be. Chester is just fronting a new band full of guys stuck in the past."
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

wayne gretzky

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
How old are you 13?  Wow

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Maybe you need new friends.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Ironically enough, the elderly woman behind the counter in a small town was the one who told me the news

HA! This is great.

I don't have any "Pearl Jam Friends", most of my friends who like Pearl Jam like STP and vice versa. Though consensus among my friends who care about both is overwhelmingly negative.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Sledgehammers of Truth

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Why should you give a shit what anybody thinks about who joined what band?

Tuf_Duff In Chains

• Sky Captain
  • THE Man in The Box
    • View Profile
Gee I don't know...

I don't have any friends to begin with so I can't help you there

John

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Music is all about appearances around here according to quite a few people.   You know, rather than being about music.

The band name matters more than the music.  The last band of the new singer matters more than the singing.  The private on-going legal issues matter more than the music. etc. etc. etc.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I still get the "CHESTER BENNINGTON SINGS FOR STP?! UGH WHY!!?" Messages from some friends on Facebook. Most of my close friends are STP fans and we don't even discuss the subject cuz it's too sad. I have a friend who worships AIC.. I thought he'd be all for it since he loves Duvall, but he also hates Chester, so he's not supportive of it either lol. We're all just waiting on Scott's album.
If you only knew..

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

Music is all about appearances around here according to quite a few people.   You know, rather than being about music.

The band name matters more than the music.  The last band of the new singer matters more than the singing.  The private on-going legal issues matter more than the music. etc. etc. etc.

I understand what you're implying here -- ultimately, what matters most is the music.

The band name does matter. I don't know if "legacy" is the best word to describe it, but everyone else is using it, so I will too. STP has built a legacy behind their name and identity. It is the thing that has defined each of their careers more than anything else. Yes, Dean, Robert, and Eric will make more money as STP than a new band, and that's part of it, but I also think it's something very special and important to them. By continuing as STP, they are able to embrace that legacy they've built and continue to build on their successes. They deserve to build onto that legacy; they've worked hard for it. Scott worked hard for it too, but obviously the other three felt he was no longer keeping up his part of the agreement, which leads to the...

Legal issues. None of us know enough about these legal issues to really understand the whole picture, and we probably never will. But it is a big deal, as the outcome could potentially alter the future careers of some of our favorite musicians. STP is my favorite all-time band, and I know that goes the same for many on this board. So our favorite band fired their singer, and now they're all suing each other. That's a big deal!

As for Chester, I think the people who are trashing him and LP are just being immature. It's one thing to say, "I'm just not digging Chester's vocals, and I'm not a fan of LP." That I can respect. But to call the guy names and bitch about it like it's blasphemy they replaced Scott with him is just... well, let's just say it really separates the children from the grown-ups around here.

(In my opinion, Linkin Park is a great band with extremely catchy, well-crafted songs, and razor-sharp live shows. They were arguably as impactful to popular music over the past decade or so as STP were in their hey day, if not more. If I was born 10 years later, LP might have been my favorite band. But I was 12 when I first saw Plush on MTV, and I truly fell in love with music and STP from that moment on.)

But John, don't get me wrong, because I wasn't disagreeing with you -- ultimately, it IS and should be about the music, first. That's the reason we're all here, and it should be the thing that brings us all together. This is a difficult time in STP's story, as the fanbase has been divided.

Set your reservations aside and listen with an open mind. If you honestly don't like the new stuff, or don't agree with how they are doing things, that's totally fine. But there's no reason to be hateful. I would say the same goes for anyone mad/disappointed at Scott listening to his new stuff when it comes out.

miraclepilot

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile

As for Chester, I think the people who are trashing him and LP are just being immature. It's one thing to say, "I'm just not digging Chester's vocals, and I'm not a fan of LP." That I can respect. But to call the guy names and bitch about it like it's blasphemy they replaced Scott with him is just... well, let's just say it really separates the children from the grown-ups around here.

(In my opinion, Linkin Park is a great band with extremely catchy, well-crafted songs, and razor-sharp live shows. They were arguably as impactful to popular music over the past decade or so as STP were in their hey day, if not more. If I was born 10 years later, LP might have been my favorite band. But I was 12 when I first saw Plush on MTV, and I truly fell in love with music and STP from that moment on.)

It just occurred to me that the hate Linkin Park gets here is VERY similar to the hate STP got in the 90s.  There are very different reasons for the hate in both cases, but they both underline media stereotypes taking over the reality.  Calling LP Nu-metal is exactly like calling STP grunge, even though both bands only barely qualified for said label, and ended up moving from that very early on to more eclectic sounds. 

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
None of my friends could give a shit about who is the frontman for STP, not even the ones who like Pearl Jam, and they certainly wouldn't heckle me for liking the band because they are all over 12 years of age. Nor could I give a shit what they think about who sings for STP, because I am also over 12 years of age.

Most of them liked the EP though.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Thanks for sharing those videos. The guy can fuckin sing. That performance of I Alone. God damn. Ed K. would be proud.