October 01, 2024, 11:44:25 PM

Author Topic: How did you break it to your Pearl Jam fan friend that the LP guy is now in STP?  (Read 8316 times)

LegitBigBangBaby

I was extremely pissed just like every STP fan was when it was announced that Chester Bennington was going to be in STP. What made me even more pissed was the fact I have 3 friends who have been longtime Pearl Jam fans and I knew that they were gonna roast my ass. The day it was announced they didn't know about the news much to my surprise. I was relieved, but at the same time far from comfortable because I knew it was only a matter of time before they would find out. I figured the best way to break it to them would be telling them myself before they read about it.

I paced back and forth in my house for about an hour thinking of someway to bullshit them into thinking this was a good move. Finally the next day we were all shooting the shit in the basement playing pool and I figured that it would have to be right now or never.
I started off by saying: "Man, isn't funny how some really talented singers just happen to be in shitty bands?" followed by a desperate laugh. They agreed. Whew. So far so good.
I followed up by then saying: "Ever wondered what it'd be like if they quit that shitty band and actually played for a talented band? It could be really good.. r-r-r-right guys??" They agreed again. Whew. My confidence shot way up at that moment.

"Chester Bennington is the new singer of STP". There was a 10 second silence that seemed like an eternity that was then broken into cruel ignorant howls of laughter.  Then there was that "No way dude, you can't be serious" moment then they all rushed to the computer to confirm it reading articles and laughing after every sentence. The rest of the night was filled with never ending jokes and intentional bullshit stories that led the Linkin Park guy to getting the chance to front STP because Weiland is back in prison again and that was the only reason for this all. Now it seems every time I'm around a Pearl Jam fan I get heckled these god awful puns like how "in the end, it won't even matter" and how Chester paid STP a handsome ransom to perform a song he wrote about Weiland in 2001 called Wonderful. Fuck my life.

Guys where did I go wrong in my approach?
What should I have done?

How did you break it to your Pearl Jam fan friend that Chester Bennington joined STP?

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Fake

LegitBigBangBaby

Silver guns and Candybars

I broke the news to my Pearl Jam fan friends right after the roller coaster finished going all the way uphill.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
You lost me at, "I was extremely pissed just like every STP fan..."

pruno123

I told my friends who like Pearl Jam the news in an elevator

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
  • Official Batman of Below Empty forums
    • View Profile
"Hey mom, the guy from Linkin Park joined STP"
I just thought together we'd stand, but now I'm looking for your hand...where are you? 'Cause all four walls are comin' down tonight...

August 19th 2012

sonofthecastle

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
"The guy from Linkin Park joined STP"

"Thats weird."

FirstSexTypeThingOnMars

Ironically enough, the elderly woman behind the counter in a small town was the one who told me the news

LegitBigBangBaby

Sorry buddy, I'll try to use even smaller words next time.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

Sorry buddy, I'll try to use even smaller words next time.

No, it's cool. The word lengths were fine. Just maybe less ignorant generalizations next time? Appreciate it.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Why not try, I don't know, showing them actual videos of Chester singing? Anyone with ears can tell the is one hell of a fucking singer. The only issue is he's in a band full of crappy musicians (sorry, LP fans) that hides his voice behind techno effects and over use of screaming.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 02:34:27 AM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

LegitBigBangBaby

Why not try, I don't know, showing them actual videos of Chester singing? Anyone with ears can tell the is one hell of a fucking singer. The only issue is he's in a band full of crappy musicians (sorry, LP fans) that hides his voice behind techno effects and over use of screaming.
I agree! Chester Bennington does have talent believe it or not. He's just got to overcome the stigma of being "That Linkin Park Guy" to get some probably-deserved respect

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I agree! Chester Bennington does have talent believe it or not. He's just got to overcome the stigma of being "That Linkin Park Guy" to get some probably-deserved respect

Exactly. If he'd been in a more straight forward rock band instead of a "Nu-Metal" band, I think he wouldn't be taking half the shit he is.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile

Exactly. If he'd been in a more straight forward rock band instead of a "Nu-Metal" band, I think he wouldn't be taking half the shit he is.

Regardless of what band he's come from, his lyrics are just very cookie cutter in my opinion. That's pretty much my only complaint as to what he brings to the table in STP. His vocals and his melodies were pretty good on the EP, but the lyrics just kill it for me.