October 01, 2024, 11:33:56 PM

Author Topic: Personal High Rise song ranking  (Read 10780 times)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Personal High Rise song ranking
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 06:30:01 PM »
I love Weiland, but he's never been the greatest lyricist. He might write something like this:

Butterflies, Purple Skies
The Bank checks out the frogs again
School's in session,  my obsession
Today's cows ate the pie

Love the fish
Water to itch
Babe Ruth has his way again
The water's dry, drowning flies

I understand lyrics are a subjective topic, but this is by far one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this forum.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 06:37:48 PM »
His lyrics are nonsensical for the most part, IMHO; that was sort of the point I was trying to make. So I hardly think that Chester can be accused of bringing STP's lyrics to a new low.

And those lyrics that I spent 30 seconds writing could very well be used for a song Weiland wrote.

I mean how is that less gibberish than this:

Hands are shakin' got your finger on the trigger
Jesus ain't complainin'
Gonna figure it out
Somebody raped my tapeworm abortion
C'mon motherfuckers and deliver the cow

Brains and body melting while there's roaches multiplying
It's the alien infection it's the coming of Christ
All these sentimental halos and these consequential angels
When I'm runnin' with the devil don't deliver the fight

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 06:53:32 PM »

I blame the Deleo bros. for the lyrics. 

::)

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 07:50:13 PM »

I blame the Deleo bros. for the lyrics. 

::)

I blame the DeLeo bros. for the debt ceiling impasse in Washington, and for the NY Giants 0-6 record.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »
His lyrics are nonsensical for the most part, IMHO; that was sort of the point I was trying to make. So I hardly think that Chester can be accused of bringing STP's lyrics to a new low.

And those lyrics that I spent 30 seconds writing could very well be used for a song Weiland wrote.

Jesus ain't complainin'
Gonna figure it out

I realize it's personal preference, but I wouldn't call Scott's lyrics "nonsensical" or "gibberish" at all. Many great songwriters use symbolism, ambiguity, and metaphors to convey messages or feelings. 

Unlike Chester's straightforward, story telling, and sometimes boring lyrics, Scott's lyrics are symbolic, full of metaphors, and on a whole, deeper.  The beauty of Scott's writing is his ability to transition between the two styles (symbolic & straightforward) based on the music, mood, or situation.  Chester has written some great songs, but his style tends to be much more simple & straightforward compared to Scott's.  Each style has their place, but compared to STP/Scott's deeper music combined with deeper lyrics, I'd say this is a new low as well.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 11:11:39 PM »

Jesus ain't complainin'
Gonna figure it out

I realize it's personal preference, but I wouldn't call Scott's lyrics "nonsensical" or "gibberish" at all. Many great songwriters use symbolism, ambiguity, and metaphors to convey messages or feelings. 

Unlike Chester's straightforward, story telling, and sometimes boring lyrics, Scott's lyrics are symbolic, full of metaphors, and on a whole, deeper.  The beauty of Scott's writing is his ability to transition between the two styles (symbolic & straightforward) based on the music, mood, or situation.  Chester has written some great songs, but his style tends to be much more simple & straightforward compared to Scott's.  Each style has their place, but compared to STP/Scott's deeper music combined with deeper lyrics, I'd say this is a new low as well.

i gotta say i agree with Steak as far as Scott's lyrics go. Scott is amazing metaphorical and abstract lyricist

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 12:03:50 AM »
I was a bit harsh on Weiland's lyrics--they are sometimes clever--but there is an element of gibberish too.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 02:24:42 AM »
I agree with Steak's perspective on Scott's lyrics, but I disagree that this is some kind of "new low". Chester just has a slightly different approach, but his lyrics are still very good, if a bit more "mainsteam" than Scott's.

Find me some less-inspired lyrics on High Rise than this:

Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now

Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 02:59:01 AM »
I agree with Steak's perspective on Scott's lyrics, but I disagree that this is some kind of "new low". Chester just has a slightly different approach, but his lyrics are still very good, if a bit more "mainsteam" than Scott's.

Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now

Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me

definitely not the most complex lyrics scott has written hahaha but i think those lines were more to paint melodic picture and create a vibe. a vibe that i think was well accomplished, i dig Cinnamon!

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 03:17:20 AM »

Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now

Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me

definitely not the most complex lyrics scott has written hahaha but i think those lines were more to paint melodic picture and create a vibe. a vibe that i think was well accomplished, i dig Cinnamon!

It's a catchy melody, and the story to the song is told in the verses.  Cinnamon is a great pop song.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
  • Official Batman of Below Empty forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 03:31:00 AM »

Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now

Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
I hate to be that guy but.

Hear me can you hear me*
I just thought together we'd stand, but now I'm looking for your hand...where are you? 'Cause all four walls are comin' down tonight...

August 19th 2012

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 03:38:08 AM »
1. Cry Cry
2. Black Heart
3. Tomorrow
4. Out Of Time
5. Same On The Inside

I like all five songs, obviously SOTI is my least favorite, but it's still good and I think it has the biggest hit potential out of all the tracks. Someone earlier said Black Heart shouldn't have been the second single...I definitely agree. It should've been Same On The Inside. Hopefully it will still be a hit eventually
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

The_Bagman

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 03:50:59 AM »

Jesus ain't complainin'
Gonna figure it out

i gotta say i agree with Steak as far as Scott's lyrics go. Scott is amazing metaphorical and abstract lyricist

Those lyrics to Suckertrain blues are pretty obvious about his drug abuse and withdrawals. It paints a picture of the mentality of drug withdrawal and then the inevitable high.

Back to topic

1.Tomorrow
2.Out of Time
3.Black Heart.
4. Same on the Inside
5. Cry Cry

Cry Cry  musically is very cringeworthy. The riff is so basic and uninteresting.Love the other 4 songs though.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:53:17 AM by The_Bagman »

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 03:52:34 AM »

My point is that High Rise is NOT a lyrical low point for the band. Not saying Cinnamon is a bad song, just that it's weaker lyrically than anything on High Rise.

FirstSexTypeThingOnMars

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 04:02:26 AM »
No good songs at all on the EP