September 25, 2024, 04:18:11 AM

Author Topic: New Robert DeLeo Interview  (Read 13323 times)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New Robert DeLeo Interview
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »
Great question

Q: Speaking of which...when someone shows up late on a consistent basis, it usually means that they don't want to be there. Do you feel that perhaps Scott just didn't enjoy performing with the band?

A: Yes...it's something we've felt for a long time. Definitely felt that for a long time, absolutely.

It's like Scott dislikes the band as much as they dislike him.

I know! They were pretty disrespectful the way they showed up for gigs sober, prepared, and on time. It's like they had no clue they were supposed to be gacked beyond belief, forget their own parts, and start an hour after they told the audience they would,

And they waited 20 years to fire him... None of Scott's antics are new to any extent of the imagination.  Complaining about this now is so childish, they could've axed him a LONG time ago if he was such a problem, but chose not to.  I don't have any sympathy for their pity parties they display in interviews lately.  Whoever said Erik is the only one who comes across as sane, I agree 100%.  Chester doesn't factor in here... DeLeo brothers have sunk to new lows throughout the last 9 months.

I see. So, because they waited 20 years, and gave him every possible chance, it naturally follows, then, that they should NEVER be able to fire him.

I was the one who mentioned that Eric was the only sane/non-delusional one.  Although I agree with you, and have said so myself numerous times; none of what Scott is doing is new, or nearly as bad as things he's done in the past. And I do realize that there are breaking points, where people have had enough...

BUT.... the problem with these breaking points IMO, is that STP is beyond any of that.  After 20 years of the same old shit (as they like to put it), it's too late to cry about the past... especially the way they they've done.  THAT PAST is what made them all what they are today, for better or worse! 

Firing Scott wasn't about his antics... it was about THEIR ego's and greed.  They could have easily started a new band with Chester, but didn't b/c it wouldn't be as marketable (and previous attempts have failed).   The ONLY REASON they're even in a position to fire Scott, let alone have the financial freedom to make music for a living, is because of what they made TOGETHER with Scott... which they're trying to claim for themselves now.  So rather than create something on their own, with their own talents, they're claiming STP as theirs, and theirs alone... which is pretty fucking selfish, and egotistical to believe that they're doing the 20+ years of STP justice.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 06:54:06 PM »
@STPGurl... A few days ago i was saying this Avatar of STP is a real test to us STP fans' open-minded-ness, and bang I get this news of STP coming to India!! Horror and Depression! :O :D

@Unglued812.. I exactly know what your talking about! :( Some of us have to wait so so much! And many years later when the bands and their lineups change so much, they decide oh well, lets go there. Something might just happen :P

@Strat... You're right! I think so too, LP think about Asia a lot too, I think that's where this came from. LP everyone knows, but not exactly likes as much here. Just teenagers. There's more of a metal following here. (When it comes to bands) . As famous as LP and Coldplay and VH1 video-type bands are, none of em have come to India yet! GNR and Norah Jones came here last. STP just so very lil people know of. If you weren't born in the MTV Classic Era, its STP WHO? :| Some people still think Plush is a Nirvana song!

I should just have gone to Singapore, when the Original 4 went there. And be absolutely broke now LOL! Ofcourse I like the rest of the guys, but this is gonna be sure as hell Depressing!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:01:07 PM by disasterami »

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 07:02:21 PM »
Great question

Q: Speaking of which...when someone shows up late on a consistent basis, it usually means that they don't want to be there. Do you feel that perhaps Scott just didn't enjoy performing with the band?

A: Yes...it's something we've felt for a long time. Definitely felt that for a long time, absolutely.

I know! They were pretty disrespectful the way they showed up for gigs sober, prepared, and on time. It's like they had no clue they were supposed to be gacked beyond belief, forget their own parts, and start an hour after they told the audience they would,

And they waited 20 years to fire him... None of Scott's antics are new to any extent of the imagination.  Complaining about this now is so childish, they could've axed him a LONG time ago if he was such a problem, but chose not to.  I don't have any sympathy for their pity parties they display in interviews lately.  Whoever said Erik is the only one who comes across as sane, I agree 100%.  Chester doesn't factor in here... DeLeo brothers have sunk to new lows throughout the last 9 months.

I see. So, because they waited 20 years, and gave him every possible chance, it naturally follows, then, that they should NEVER be able to fire him.

I was the one who mentioned that Eric was the only sane/non-delusional one.  Although I agree with you, and have said so myself numerous times; none of what Scott is doing is new, or nearly as bad as things he's done in the past. And I do realize that there are breaking points, where people have had enough...

BUT.... the problem with these breaking points IMO, is that STP is beyond any of that.  After 20 years of the same old shit (as they like to put it), it's too late to cry about the past... especially the way they they've done.  THAT PAST is what made them all what they are today, for better or worse! 

Firing Scott wasn't about his antics... it was about THEIR ego's and greed.  They could have easily started a new band with Chester, but didn't b/c it wouldn't be as marketable (and previous attempts have failed).   The ONLY REASON they're even in a position to fire Scott, let alone have the financial freedom to make music for a living, is because of what they made TOGETHER with Scott... which they're trying to claim for themselves now.  So rather than create something on their own, with their own talents, they're claiming STP as theirs, and theirs alone... which is pretty fucking selfish, and egotistical to believe that they're doing the 20+ years of STP justice.

Agreed 100%

Why other people do not see this is tough to comprehend.  The Deleos have done STP and its fans a grave injustice. 

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 07:11:06 PM »
Great question

No, the only reason they're in a position to fire Scott is that, according to the allegations in their complaint, there is a binding contract that authorizes them to do so.

The DeLeos/Kretz simply want to carry on making music and making money at it. How does that make them selfish or egotistical? And of course they are now creating something with their own talents. The STP name may get people in the door initially, but that's it.

emerick55

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 07:30:16 PM »
@Steak - You articulated my thoughts exactly.  Well said, sir!

@Helloitslate - You need a cup of coffee, please read what has been said; STEAK lays this out perfectly.  If you can't see the manipulation & cash motivations in play here regarding why the DeLeos have handled every aspect of the firing in the manner they have, (from lawsuits to interviews whining about "20 years" to keeping the band's name in tact after firing Scott to hiring an ESTABLISHED STAR to rushing an EP as quickly as possible), then you aren't thinking clearly or this is just too far over your head.  Kretz is the only one acting normal in his dealings with the media and has remained silent mostly, I commend him for that.  The DeLeos (esp Dean) are taking every opportunity to take cheap shots at Scott which is ludicrous at this point in time.  Chester is out of the equation and has done nothing wrong in my opinion.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »

@Helloitslate - You need a cup of coffee, please read what has been said; STEAK lays this out perfectly.  If you can't see the manipulation & cash motivations in play here regarding why the DeLeos have handled every aspect of the firing in the manner they have, (from lawsuits to interviews whining about "20 years" to keeping the band's name in tact after firing Scott to hiring an ESTABLISHED STAR to rushing an EP as quickly as possible), then you aren't thinking clearly or this is just too far over your head.  Kretz is the only one acting normal in his dealings with the media and has remained silent mostly, I commend him for that.  The DeLeos (esp Dean) are taking every opportunity to take cheap shots at Scott which is ludicrous at this point in time.  Chester is out of the equation and has done nothing wrong in my opinion.
The DeLeos did not file this lawsuit alone. Your Golden Boy Kretz is one of the plaintiffs and presumably had an equal say in hiring the "established star."

With regard to Dean taking cheap shots at Scott at every opportunity, here's a recent quote from Dean: “As a lyricist and as a man of melody, I can’t think of many who are much better than Scott and I’m very proud and honored to have carved out what we did." Wow, that was pretty low.

But you may be right. These difficult concepts are probably way over my head.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 08:05:32 PM »

The DeLeos did not file this lawsuit alone. Your Golden Boy Kretz is one of the plaintiffs and presumably had an equal say in hiring the "established star."

With regard to Dean taking cheap shots at Scott at every opportunity, here's a recent quote from Dean: “As a lyricist and as a man of melody, I can’t think of many who are much better than Scott and I’m very proud and honored to have carved out what we did." Wow, that was pretty low.

But you may be right. These difficult concepts are probably way over my head.

This is pretty fucked up.  The Deleos have been trying to forge ahead w/ the brothers for some time.  Now that's a nice piece of the story.  First, they kick out Brendan O Brien, the fifth member of the band by insisting they produce S/T.  Effectively ruining the album.  Then they kick out Scott.  If I were Scott's attorney I'd be all over this.  I hope Scott can use this as a handle to wrestle back STP from these bafoons.  They should not be left holding the STP legacy.  Totally fucked up.

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »
 Steak, Steak, Steak, I salute you. Well said.

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »
I think both sides make some good points, but there is an elephant in the room that has gone unmentioned...

Scott was fired on the eve of the Purple to the Core tour. This to me is the most egregious act committed by any party involved (of those that can be proven, not just assumed).

While still a member of STP, Scott booked a tour based on STP's material. Imagine if it had been Dean, or Robert, or Eric that had booked this tour, leaving the other three members out in the cold.

Someone please justify this. Why was it ok for Scott to do this? Don't forget to include why it would've been ok for another member of STP to do the same, since they were all equal partners.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 09:06:29 PM »
I'm not sure it's relevant given the major conflict of interest going on and for years.  This is HUGE!  It's like these guys had planned this the whole entire time.  Steak,  you are the man (or woman).  It provides major doubt that they have the best interest of STP in mind.  Which is what I've been arguing for months........

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 09:19:42 PM »
As far as "nothing new," it's nothing new that if other opportunities had taken off, none of these guys would have needed STP. The band did not hide that if Talk Show had taken off, they wouldn't have had to rely on STP. same goes for Army of Anyone. If the production career had taken off, they wouldn't have needed to rely on STP. If studio time was something still in high demand, Kretz wouldn't have sold Bombshelter and returned to STP.

Same goes for Scott. If 12 Bar Blues went whatever platinum, he wouldn't have had to rely on STP. If Velvet Revolver didn't get torn apart, he wouldn't have needed to return to STP.

Anyway, the 20 years argument holds no water. First of all, Scott hasn't been a mess for 20 years. Even at times when he has fallen off the wagon, he has shown up and could perform. But it's only in the last five years that he's really had major issues with showing up on time, being able to perform at the level expected, and even showing up at all.

We can say, "Oh they've put up with this for 20 years. To say something now is bullshit." In what other universe would this argument be reasonable? The thing being missed here is that things change in 20 years. When you're 29, it's cool to party before a show and maybe show up late, it's funny to do a show drunk, and no one is think about what their income will be like when they can no longer perform.

For Robert (47), Dean (52), and Eric (47), it's no longer acceptable to party before a show. It's no longer acceptable to be drunk on stage. Income during retirement is on their mind.

For Scott (45), this is something he has been unable or unwilling to control. He continues to party before shows. He continues to do shows fucked up. He isn't even concerned about retirement, he's concerned about the $60k he needs each month to maintain his lifestyle. These are marked differences in what constitutes acceptable behavior in a band.

In no other business would this be a discussion. If four friends bought a sports team and things went great, but then one guy started no showing to board meetings, showing up drunk, making bad trades at night while high on cocaine, would we say those other guys have to stick it out with the fourth guy? Of course not. Who cares how long that guy has had a problem and how long they've dealt with it. If the other 3 guys feel the product is being diminished and they want to bring in a fourth owner known for success in the sports world, no one would blink an eye.

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 09:53:11 PM »
Imagine four guys have a partnership, which includes joint property. Then one partner takes the properties they created and uses them against the other three. In doing so, he puts himself into direct competition with his partners.

I'm not saying Scott doesn't have the right to play STP songs live. I am saying that the Purple at the Core tour was a massive dick move on Scott's part. It caused irreparable harm to the relationship.

Purple at the Core didn't happen over a period of 20 years. It happened in 2013. It was the last straw. It was the act that forever ended STP as we know it. So yes, it's relevant. Please feel free to defend it if you can.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 10:04:30 PM »
Imagine four guys have a partnership, which includes joint property. Then one partner takes the properties they created and uses them against the other three. In doing so, he puts himself into direct competition with his partners.

I'm not saying Scott doesn't have the right to play STP songs live. I am saying that the Purple at the Core tour was a massive dick move on Scott's part. It caused irreparable harm to the relationship.

Purple at the Core didn't happen over a period of 20 years. It happened in 2013. It was the last straw. It was the act that forever ended STP as we know it. So yes, it's relevant. Please feel free to defend it if you can.
It is indeed relevant. In fact, it forms the basis for the complaint.

We're banging our heads against the wall here. I think I'd rather just go listen to Scott's Christmas album a while.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »
I know why people keep referring to STP as a "business", but it doesn't really apply to this situation, let alone most art.  This situation is closer to a divorce than anything; with "STP" being held hostage like kids in a custody dispute.  Sadly, the DeLeo's come off like the bitchy wife trying to take everything.  Constantly bad-mouthing the father around town, poisoning the kid's minds, and just trying to be spiteful when it comes to things she knows the father cares about.  Meanwhile, Scott has taken the high road in the situation, wishing them all luck, and not even speaking poorly about anyone. 

Even if this is broken down on a collaborative level, it's THEIR work as a group.  Sure, there are arguments for both sides when it comes to who's contributions were more important, but realistically the final product belonged to the group, and for any member(s) to claim it for themselve(s), would be completely ridiculous, selfish, and egotistical.  People move on, go their separate ways... but in this case, the DeLeo's went their separate ways and that didn't work out too well, so now they're clinging to the past.   Why is it that Scott is the only one willing to do something different, or expand outside the realm of STP?   

Like I've mentioned a million times, Scott's behavior is nothing new, and being thrown in jail for almost a year in 1999 (in their prime years!) was probably more detrimental (financially) than showing up late to shows lately.   Either way, during any of his bad times, whenever Scott went into a studio to record an album, he's ALWAYS been on point.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:59:11 PM by STEAK »
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 11:18:44 PM »
I know why people keep referring to STP as a "business", but it doesn't really apply to this situation, let alone most art.  This situation is closer to a divorce than anything; with "STP" being held hostage like kids in a custody dispute.  Sadly, the DeLeo's come off like the bitchy wife trying to take everything.  Constantly bad-mouthing the father around town, poisoning the kid's minds, and just trying to be spiteful when it comes to things she knows the father cares about.  Meanwhile, Scott has taken the high road in the situation, wishing them all luck, and not even speaking poorly about anyone.  Even if this is broken down on a collaborative level, it's THEIR work as a group.  Sure, there are arguments for both sides when it comes to who's contributions were more important, but realistically the final product belonged to the group, and for any member(s) to claim it for themselve(s), would be completely ridiculous, selfish, and egotistical.  People move on, go their separate ways... but in this case, the DeLeo's went their separate ways and that didn't work out too well, so now they're clinging to the past.   Why is it that Scott is the only one willing to do something different, or expand outside the realm of STP?   Like I've mentioned a million times, Scott's behavior is nothing new, and being thrown in jail for almost a year in 1999 (in their prime years!) was probably more detrimental (financially) than showing up late to shows lately.   Either way, during any of his bad times, whenever Scott went into a studio to record an album, he's ALWAYS been on point.

It does apply here. We have learned that STP have a partnership of ownership, just like most bands that are reasonably successful. It's just that in this case, the products that the business produces are collections of songs and live performances. STP is whatever the owners say it is. For the Eagles, it's whatever Glen and Don (the owners) say it is. At one time the Eagles included Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, and Don Felder. Now it includes Timothy B. Schmitt and Joe Walsh.

Scott isn't taking the high road. He just doesn't care. He cares more about his solo stuff, it's obvious he didn't care about STP. Sure he is suing them, but that's for a financial settlement. He also isn't doing press for a new album, so no one is talking to him. You can bet when he puts out an album or does his next press thing that he will talk about it. The rest of the band is not constantly bashing Scott. They have had to explain WHY they are doing what they are doing. Everything else has been saying how much they have been honored to work with him.

The DeLeos ARE expanding outside of STP--they're getting into production. Eric did too. They have also done other records. Scott didn't work with the same people on HIG that he did on 12 BB. He just used his name both times instead of creating a band (like he did with the Magnificent Bastards, which didn't work out).

Scott's behavior being nothing new, as I explained, doesn't mean anything. This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum. Not calling Scott abusive, but if we take that argument to, say, a battered wife, it's empty. "Your husband has beat you for 20 years. Why leave now?" Maybe because her bullshit meter finally got maxed, just like Robert said. Again, these guys are older and BEYOND the things Scott brings to the table: showing up late, showing up inebriated and unable to perform at a high level, not showing up at all.

Scott has "brought it," we think, but even Doug Grean has called him lazy. He didn't bring it on his book. Why should I think he put more effort into self-titled than he put into his book or into STP tours? He did not bring it on his Christmas album either, for that matter.