September 30, 2024, 09:37:11 PM

Author Topic: RockNRolls Worst Frontman Replacements: Where does Chester rank against others?  (Read 11988 times)

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
Van Halen III wasn't Gary Cherone's fault. That album wouldn't have worked no matter who was singing.

Eddie had virtually no producer on that album (Mike Post came by and said hi every so often) and it shows, big time.

For some reason, they took a guy with a good voice and tried to make him sing in Sammy's range. Listening to what Cherone did before and after that record make it even more obvious.

+1. Good point
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
The problem is that hatred of a replacement isn't always universal. Many AIC fans realize Cantrell wrote most of the music and a lot of the melodies and lyrics. He also sang some lead himself.

Go to VHLinks.com and you'll see Sammy vs Dave threads today. I like Sammy. But Dave lovers think he's the worst piece of shit on the planet. I see Chester vs a Weiland similarly.

I nominate Brian Howe, who replaced Paul Rogers in Bad Company.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
To be fair that poll came out the day after the EP leaked.
If anything, that would skew the vote downward, and not upward. How many songs do you love on first listen?

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
That said, I object to the premise of this thread, really. William is really the epitome of what a band should do in AIC's situation. IMO Chester has done a good job on the EP and live.

I too object to the premise of this thread... because the premise is that "Chester was obviously not a good selection and it showed big time on the "High Rise" EP." Of course, this may be your opinion, and it may be shared by others, but it's not the majority opinion. Or if it is, you haven't proven it. In fact, what little information we have so far shows the opposite.

It's fine if you don't like Chester in STP. That's your opinion. But before you try to pass it off as majority opinion, get some proof to back up your claims.

Silver guns and Candybars

If anything, that would skew the vote downward, and not upward. How many songs do you love on first listen?
Why'd you leave out my next 2 sentences? lol
Would have told you my point.
To answer your question though, there have been tons of songs that I enjoy that I loved upon first listen.
More than I have disliked for sure.

Robert DeNiro

We all know the Chester supporters voted love it before listening to it.
Not to mention BE makes up about .001% of STP's entire fanbase, so either way the poll really meant absolutely nothing

This.

Robert DeNiro

It's too soon to tell if Chester belongs in the same category as those guys honestly. I know most fans are pissed off about him playing with the band and a lot of people walked out of Chesters hometown show, but we won't have anything solid for at least the next 4-5 months.

Only then will we be able to analyze things from a broader perspective. We'll have seen how an entire tour went, how well the EP was received/sold, and if there's going to be any demand for more Ches-TP material.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
This thread is so slanted.

Why not bring up Sammy Hagar (VH) or Brian Johnson (ACDC)?
Is it because they proved successful?
And if so, how can you already deem Chester a failure, when the EP is not even out yet?

I love Scott as much as any die-hard STP fan would but these anti-Chester threads are getting redundantly ridiculous.

Van Halen III wasn't Gary Cherone's fault. That album wouldn't have worked no matter who was singing.

Right on. Cherone's got a great voice. He became the scapegoat for Eddie's piss-poor experimentation on that album.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
It's just too early to say this about Chester. There are Van Halen fans who heard "Why Can't This Be Love" and about shit themselves with how terrible they thought it was. And if you want to break it down, 5150 is an EIGHTIES record no doubt. But if you look past the production, it opened up Eddie's songwriting into areas he couldn't even touch with Roth, a guy with limited range. But fans were still stuck on, 'The I Can't Drive 55 guy? Really?'

Amazingly, by 1995, Van Halen were actually still relevant and were still getting heavy MTV play with the first single off of Balance, Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do). They sold a lot of records and actually put out some really good songs during his tenure, even if it seemed odd at first.

Now, of course, we know that Eddie told Patty Smyth that she would be the new singer for Van Halen (when Roth left) if she didn't 'have tits.' We also know that for all of Eddie's talk about Cherone being the guy and the only guy and the savior, he'd already hired a guy named Mitch Malloy, who then said "no thanks" when he saw them get on stage with Roth at the 1996 MTV Video Awards. Cherone was the 2nd choice.

So we have no idea if Chester was choice number 1 or 7, despite what they say. Either way, we need more music and more time before we know whether or not Chester is more like Sammy in Van Halen or John Corabi in the Crue.

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile

If you're gonna sign up for a fan forum just to complain, get out.

If you can't stay on topic or don't like the topic simply go look at another instead of whining.

Your topic presents a sweeping generalization as fact.
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

stp4ever

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
JD Fortune is the worst replacement singer of all time. I would rank Chester Bennington somewhere between Rome Ramirez and Ron Greer

Maybe it's because I'm too young to have been around during the original INXS lineup, but I think JD Fortune did a fine job in INXS. He did justice to some songs live (Kick, New Sensation, Taste It, and he did nice revisions of the stairs and Love Is. And based on his various solo stuff, he's a capable writer with a quality voice that he uses properly.

DeadandTrippin92

Ron Greer is the worst replacement singer of all time. Chester is just runner-up

Robert DeNiro

Blaze Bayley is definitely missing from this list!

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
William Duvall really? Can't believe some AIC fans are STILL busting his balls at this point...

Gary Cherone takes the cake. Van Halen 3 was .... well you know

Saw Van Halen a few times with Gary--great shows, especially the Boston one. I liked Van Halen 3 and I see it as a "noble failure." It didn't work, but the Cherone-era is an interesting part of the band's history that I can appreciate. Glad that they are back with DLR for sure though.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Where's Dan Nelson from Anthrax?

Hard to say really since the guy was gone so fast I never even got to hear him sing!