September 30, 2024, 07:19:03 PM

Author Topic: RockNRolls Worst Frontman Replacements: Where does Chester rank against others?  (Read 11974 times)

pruno123

Hey everybody! Big fan here from San Fran. Hows everyone doing?

Let's get to business. Chester was obviously not a good selection and it showed big time on the "High Rise" EP. While the EP is very likely to be something we all look back on and laugh at while at the bar with some friends in a few months, where do you guys think Chester ranks amongst the other awful frontman replacements in rock n roll history?

Just to name a few

- Chester Bennington - STP ( obviously )
- Gary Cherone - Van Halen
- Johnny Van Zant - Lynard Skynard
- Rome Ramirez - Sublime
- Arnel Pineda - Journey
- William Duvall - Alice in Chains
- Tim Owens - Judas Priest
- Ron Greer - Dead Kennedys
- John Corabi - Motley Crue
- JD Fortune - INXS
- Jim Belushi - The Blues Brothers
- Tony Martin - Black Sabbath

I wouldn't rank Chester in the top 5 worst of all time, but definitely top 10. The reason I think he doesn't make the top 5 is because he does have SOME talent and his involvement with STP is more humiliating than bad music-wise. Although most agree High Rise was awful and forgettable, there have been much worse albums made. Not to mention the fact it was only 5 bad songs instead of 10-13 saved it a lot.

For the record, I definitely feel Gary Cherone was the worst replacement in rock n roll history.  :)

sonofthecastle

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Chester? William Duvall?

If you're gonna sign up for a fan forum just to complain, get out.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 11:19:51 PM by sonofthecastle »

FirstSexTypeThingOnMars

JD Fortune is the worst replacement singer of all time. I would rank Chester Bennington somewhere between Rome Ramirez and Ron Greer

Silver guns and Candybars

Where's Dan Nelson from Anthrax?
Eh I agree about Chester more so just being an embarrassment to the STP name given his LP past than being a talentless hack.
However, he probably is a bigger douche than every replacement singer mentioned.

sonofthecastle

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Where's Dan Nelson from Anthrax?
Eh I agree about Chester more so just being an embarrassment to the STP name given his LP past than being a talentless hack.
However, he probably is a bigger douche than every replacement singer mentioned.
[/quote

and Scott isn't an embarrassment given his past?

Musically no.

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
William Duvall really? Can't believe some AIC fans are STILL busting his balls at this point...

Gary Cherone takes the cake. Van Halen 3 was .... well you know
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

It's like the forum gods looked down and determined there wasn't already enough negativity on this site and delivered you to us! Awesome!

Although most agree High Rise was awful and forgettable

Seriously though, you haters keep pulling these blanket statements out of your asses, like they're fact. Where's your data?

It seems to be getting more love than hate on iTunes so far. As of this post, out of 114 ratings:
  • 5 stars - 60
  • 4 stars - 21
  • 3 stars - 7
  • 2 stars - 19
The average rating is 4 stars. I'd call that generally favorable.

Also, on this very FAN forum, it's got 67.2% love vs. 32.8% hate.

Looks like you are wrong about High Rise; most people actually think it's pretty good or awesome, and this is based on real data, which is more than you or any other haters have given so far. Think I'm wrong? Prove it.

One more thing...

This.

pruno123

The Linkin Park fans are the ones rating the EP high. They're also giving Miley Cyrus and Coldplay albums 4-5 stars as well. I'm kinda surprised some LP fans are here, but in all honesty I really want to hear what my fellow STP diehards have to say about comparing Chester to some of these other plan C's. So if we could just stay on topic please and thank you  8)

DadaelusJones

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
The Linkin Park fans are the ones rating the EP high. They're also giving Miley Cyrus and Coldplay albums 4-5 stars as well. I'm kinda surprised some LP fans are here, but in all honesty I really want to hear what my fellow STP diehards have to say about comparing Chester to some of these other plan C's. So if we could just stay on topic please and thank you  8)

Source?

Also, per this poll: http://www.belowempty.com/forum/index.php?topic=9361.0, 2/3rds of responders from this site like the EP.

You don't like the EP? Fine, you're entitled. But don't draw from your ass to back your opinion.

To be fair that poll came out the day after the EP leaked.
We all know the Chester supporters voted love it before listening to it.
Not to mention BE makes up about .001% of STP's entire fanbase, so either way the poll really meant absolutely nothing

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Van Halen III wasn't Gary Cherone's fault. That album wouldn't have worked no matter who was singing.

Eddie had virtually no producer on that album (Mike Post came by and said hi every so often) and it shows, big time.

For some reason, they took a guy with a good voice and tried to make him sing in Sammy's range. Listening to what Cherone did before and after that record make it even more obvious.

That said, I object to the premise of this thread, really. William is really the epitome of what a band should do in AIC's situation. IMO Chester has done a good job on the EP and live.

pruno123

Fair enough everyone, I'd say we can scratch Willaim Duvall from the list. I only referenced him due to many complaints I hear from AIC fans. Personally, I honestly don't think he's terrible.

pruno123

If you can't stay on topic or don't like the topic simply go look at another instead of whining.

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
John Corabi - Motley Crue

Actually, this was a very good match up. The '94 album sounds great. It's one of the best from Motley, just not the best selling.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy