September 25, 2024, 12:25:34 PM

Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Benningt WITH JAY LENO  (Read 12151 times)

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Temple Pilots with Chester Benningt WITH JAY LENO
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2013, 02:46:05 AM »
I actually like most the songs on the new EP, Black Heart is prob my least favorite though.

Just kind of boring, sounds like a B-side from Tiny Music.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2013, 02:52:44 AM »
I was very interested to see how they were going to be introduced and they definitely are trying to avoid legal issues.  It's STP w/ Chester.

Dean told me they are not using the name due to legal reasons, but to let fans know that Scott is no longer in the band.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2013, 03:09:27 AM »
Just saw the performance.  As soon as it started, I thought it was a different version of "Hickory Dichotomy".

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2013, 04:19:40 AM »
I was very interested to see how they were going to be introduced and they definitely are trying to avoid legal issues.  It's STP w/ Chester.

Dean told me they are not using the name due to legal reasons, but to let fans know that Scott is no longer in the band.

And you actually bought that? He may say "because of the fans!" but you should know better and it's total bullshit. It is, 100%, because of the legality of the issue. Dean is kidding himself if he thinks it's for any other reason. And he can play the whole "oh we just want to be honest" card if he wants, but let's be serious, it's still STP because STP is his best chance at $$$$. If not, they would call it another name. I don't blame him for that, but you're going to tell me he's soldiering on with the name "STP" with Chester Bennington... but he's calling it "STP with Chester Bennington" so no one is confused? Bullshit. There in a legal battle with Scott over the band's name and Chester does not have an ownership stake in the band. Scott does. If they called it STP they would be in breach. It would be false advertisement. I don't care what Dean told you in a piss poor attempt to fool the fans into thinking this is "all for them, we're just being up front". It's called "STP with Chester" because it has to be called "STP with Chester". Until this legal issue is resolved, calling it STP would put them in jeopardy of Scott suing the pants off of them.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2013, 04:21:42 AM »
A wise man once told me about statements by entities of any kind "never listen to what they say, watch what they do". Perfect case in point. Read between the lines.

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2013, 05:08:28 AM »

Did you notice that the STP logo isn't even being used on Eric's drums? Just some random plaid patch. Probably taped it on there for the TV performance. Legal issues. I don't think they give a crap about people buying tickets via false advertising, if they did they wouldn't be using the name STP.

Additionally I actually thought Chester sounded good here. Black Heart is the best song on the EP if you ask me.
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2013, 02:24:18 PM »
I agree 100% they're using "with Chester Bennington" for legal reasons, but in Dean's defense, he was probably coached to say that thing about false advertising. Also, good catch on Eric's drums -- I'm sure that was for legal reasons too.

Honestly, the whole lawsuit thing just sucks and is bad karma for both sides. They should both drop them. Yes, it's a business, but that business happens to be doing what they love and they've been extremely successful at it, which is way more than most people on this planet can say about their careers.

Scott's not going out as STP, and he can't be making that much off playing the tunes at the Moodswing Lounge with the Wallabees. Let him go out as "formerly of STP" and let him play his versions of the tunes -- he did write the vocals. He's just not inhibiting the band's future that much, especially now that they have Chester.

As for past damages, well... this is rock and roll. Shit happens, especially when you're in a band with an addict for 20 years. And it's not like they all woke up one day and Scott had suddenly screwed them all over. They have been putting up with Scott's issues for a very long time, so the argument about past damages doesn't hold any water to me. They apparently had this agreement since 1996, and they could've cut Scott loose at any time, but they chose to ride it out with him, knowing how his problems were affecting the band.

My best advice to STP, as a fan, not a legal expert: Have Skip Miller contact Scott's lawyer and agree to drop both lawsuits, cut your losses, and move on. Let the music speak for itself.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2013, 03:05:44 PM »
 I believe what Dean said about the name. Here’s why: I think the lawsuit is still ongoing, and nothing has been decided yet. Unless one party has sought and won an injunction, each side is free to carry on as he/they please. Scott can continue his Purple to the Core Tour, and the DeLeos/Kretz can continue calling themselves STP, until either or both are legally barred from doing so.

Plus, it makes perfect sense. Many people out there aren’t closely following this drama like we are. A casual fan (STP? Plush!) could hear that STP is in town and buy a ticket, only to be very surprised to see Chester up there instead of Scott.